The Student Room Group

who's fault is this?

when someone is on the sofa, and they have a glass of any drink on the floor right by the sofa so they can pick it up anytime. then someone walks into the room and without seeing the glass accidentally kicks it over. who's fault is it, the person who kicked the glass over or the person who left the drink by the sofa? or are both people at fault. if both people are at fault, what percentage of the fault does each person take?
Reply 1
It's nobody's fault, really, it's just one of those accidental things which happens now and then.
This made me laugh more than it should’ve.

Personally, I think it is the fault of the person who left the drink there. Have they not heard of a table? Or they could’ve warned you on entering, assuming you didn’t walk in too fast.
Both people are at fault. This happens in my household all the time
Reply 4
so you are saying it is exactly 50-50? please provide a percentage
Reply 5
Original post by Bvbfan
when someone is on the sofa, and they have a glass of any drink on the floor right by the sofa so they can pick it up anytime. then someone walks into the room and without seeing the glass accidentally kicks it over. who's fault is it, the person who kicked the glass over or the person who left the drink by the sofa? or are both people at fault. if both people are at fault, what percentage of the fault does each person take?

Both of them are at fault but 20% offender, 80% beverage owner.
The person who spilt it should've stepped correct but then again, why would you be expecting someone's drink to be on the floor. The person with the drink needs to re-evaluate their life. Put the drink on a table, or on a stool or better still, in your hands.
Original post by Bvbfan

It's an accident.

Generally its best to use common sense for example the person on the sofa mentioning "watch the glass" if they see them getting close". although also the person entering a room should have some awareness.
All around these things happen occasionally, just clean it up dont blame anyone.
Depends, in our house we have coasters on the floor by the ends of the sofa where people put their drinks. I accidentally kicked my brothers over the other day and that was very much my fault because I know there's often a drink there and should've paid more attention.
If they're in a usual place, it's the kickers fault for not paying attention. In an unusual / unexpected place, it's equal fault - one should've warned the other but the kicker should still watch where they're going.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Q_LDN
Both of them are at fault but 20% offender, 80% beverage owner.
The person who spilt it should've stepped correct but then again, why would you be expecting someone's drink to be on the floor. The person with the drink needs to re-evaluate their life. Put the drink on a table, or on a stool or better still, in your hands.

haha the reason i am asking is because in my household with my mum, dad and brother. over the years there must have been over 100 incidents of someone kicking someone's glass over. and in each and everyone one of those incidents, nobody has ever accepted that it is remotely their fault, even though everyone has played both roles on numerous occasions. personally i would have thought it is the fault of whoever kicked it over as its just clumsy. Personally i tend to hold my glass so it never gets kicked over. and when i leave it on the floor i will warn people. but on the few occasions i have kicked over a glass i try to take ownership but i will always say its a stupid place to leave the glass. but between my mum dad and brother it is always somebody else's fault
the kicker should apologise imo and should look carefully next time. what if a cat was sleeping there, can they just kick it?
The person who fell asleep on the sofa cos if they put the drink in a safe place to begin with the other person wouldn't of knocked it over
Original post by Bvbfan
haha the reason i am asking is because in my household with my mum, dad and brother. over the years there must have been over 100 incidents of someone kicking someone's glass over. and in each and everyone one of those incidents, nobody has ever accepted that it is remotely their fault, even though everyone has played both roles on numerous occasions. personally i would have thought it is the fault of whoever kicked it over as its just clumsy. Personally i tend to hold my glass so it never gets kicked over. and when i leave it on the floor i will warn people. but on the few occasions i have kicked over a glass i try to take ownership but i will always say its a stupid place to leave the glass. but between my mum dad and brother it is always somebody else's fault

So this sort of thing happens on a monthly basis, have you considered a small table and some coasters.
Was there no table next to the sofa? I think it is both of their faults, as the glass shouldn't have been left on the floor, but the person who walked into the room should have been more observant.

Quick Reply

Latest