The Student Room Group

Coronavirus Vaccine

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages. You can also find practical advice for managing your mental health in the pandemic from TSR, including advice from clinical psychiatrist, here.

Hey, Do the vaccines actually work?
I'm only seeing news of ppl taking it but there isn't any news on if it actually fully worked on fighting against the coronavirus?
Idk about you but that seems sus.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm only seeing news of ppl taking it but there isn't any news on if it actually fully worked on fighting against the coronavirus?

What would you expect to see on the news? Over 15mil people have been vaccinated and therefor should have a certain level of immunity. The majority of these people won’t be contracting the virus since they have that level of protection from it. There are still a huge number of cases and deaths because not everyone has been vaccinated. It takes a good number of the population to be vaccinated in order to see the effects of it. This is called herd immunity. Individually those who’ve been vaccinated are protected, but you urself won’t see the effects until the majority of people have been immunised.
there isn't any news on if it actually fully worked on fighting against the coronavirus?

It’s literally the main headline on the BBC right now.
Reply 3
Original post by LouismmmmB
What would you expect to see on the news? Over 15mil people have been vaccinated and therefor should have a certain level of immunity. The majority of these people won’t be contracting the virus since they have that level of protection from it. There are still a huge number of cases and deaths because not everyone has been vaccinated. It takes a good number of the population to be vaccinated in order to see the effects of it. This is called herd immunity. Individually those who’ve been vaccinated are protected, but you urself won’t see the effects until the majority of people have been immunised.

I get what you mean .. lots of ppl need to be vaccinated to see the overall result.
But i was just wondering from an individual's point of view. Like has a person who has had the vaccine - are they fully protected from the virus?
Reply 4

if anything, it reduces the likelihood that covid-19 will cause death or serious symptoms after 2 doses. i have my vaccine this evening
Reply 5

You can't see a negative.
It says that you can still contract and spread the virus on the government website. It also says about pregnant women and women of childbearing age not having it. I personally wouldn't get it because of the lack of research and i know quite a few people have had adverse effects
Reply 7
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
It says that you can still contract and spread the virus on the government website. It also says about pregnant women and women of childbearing age not having it. I personally wouldn't get it because of the lack of research and i know quite a few people have had adverse effects

lack of research?!?! its all they've been researching for months non-stop!!!!!!!
I get what you mean .. lots of ppl need to be vaccinated to see the overall result.
But i was just wondering from an individual's point of view. Like has a person who has had the vaccine - are they fully protected from the virus?

They are less likely to get severe symptoms and I don't believe anyone has died who has had the covid jab.
Reply 9
Vaccines take about 10 years to develop. Months compared to 10 years is nothing. And seeing as they've stated all these side effects, that it doesn't stop you getting and spreading the virus and that pregnant women or those of childbearing age shouldn't have it, I don't want to get it.

I also know people that have had adverse effects to it and it's not very nice to see.

There was massive funding, urgency and research materials so it was developed MUCH quicker.
Vaccines take about 10 years to develop. Months compared to 10 years is nothing. And seeing as they've stated all these side effects, that it doesn't stop you getting and spreading the virus and that pregnant women or those of childbearing age shouldn't have it, I don't want to get it.

I also know people that have had adverse effects to it and it's not very nice to see.

Vaccines take years to get through the planning, funding and approval stages. The actual making and testing of them doesn't take anything like that.

Understandably enough, the drive to make this one has had a lot of attention, a lot of money, and has been accelerated through the bureaucracy.

They have done the exact same amount of testing as is required for any vaccine, they just did it all over the same time period. The reason pregnant women aren't having the covid jab is because they can't test it on them (as with the vast majority of medications). Pregnant women can't use excema lotion without checking with the doctor. Also, many have had it because they themselves have assessed the risk of getting severely ill with covid. Saying women who are childbearing age shouldn't have it, just isn't true. You don't have to get it but don't discourage others with statements you can't back up.
The vaccine does not give 100% protection and is not a guarantee against getting coronavirus. However it does significantly reduce the chance of getting it, and significantly reduces the chance of serious illness in someone who does get coronavirus.

I had my first vaccine before Christmas and due to get second one this week.

There’s lots on the news about it - including, ironically, today’s BBC headlines!
Original post by jlggr4
There was massive funding, urgency and research materials so it was developed MUCH quicker.

That isn't my only problem. Read the points I've made before trying to make an argument out of it with me
That isn't my only problem. Read the points I've made before trying to make an argument out of it with me

There's no medication on earth that doesn't have some side effects.

Except that's false, they have said they are not completely aware yet of how much it cuts transmission however studies are out there now which are suggesting it can reduce transmission by up to 2/3rds or more which is actually fantastic. The efficacy has been proven to be high therefore they are effective, infact very effective at 90% or more after two doses and even 85% after a 1st dose if we're talking about the pfeizer jab as has been shown recently, and the only reason it took a year rather than 10 years though I'm sure you already know this is because of the sheer amount of funding and time poured into it because the whole world is focused on one issue - whereas other vaccines are not of as much importance hence don't get such unprecedented amounts of funding and effort put into them. Everyone I know who's had the vaccine has been fine, furthest reaction I've seen is a bit of a fever and some flu like symptoms for like a day or two hardly anything to be worried about.

My grandad had the vaccine about two months ago, he had barely any side effects (sore arm), he had an antibodies test last month and he does have COVID antibodies- which indicates that the vaccine gives you the equipment you need to fight coronavirus. No vaccine is 100% effective but it is vital that most people do get the vaccine in order to decrease transmission

I get you don't worry
I don't feel like getting it as of now - not because i don't trust science
1) if its not been tested on pregnant women then it obviously shows that there is some speculations about it
2) different ppl react differently to different medications/vaccines so just bcos you or ur grandparents had it and had no symptoms doesn't mean its the same for everyone.
I want to get it after a few more months and more accurate results are obtained cus if something happens now- you will have to regret it for the rest of your life. Better safe than sorry :smile:
I get you don't worry
I don't feel like getting it as of now - not because i don't trust science
1) if its not been tested on pregnant women then it obviously shows that there is some speculations about it
2) different ppl react differently to different medications/vaccines so just bcos you or ur grandparents had it and had no symptoms doesn't mean its the same for everyone.
I want to get it after a few more months and more accurate results are obtained cus if something happens now- you will have to regret it for the rest of your life. Better safe than sorry :smile:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9038589/Why-pregnant-women-coronavirus-vaccine.html
This explains it reasonably well but:

The reason it isn't tested on pregnant women is because nothing is tested on pregnant women in the first trials. Testing on pregnant women is of course more risky due to the risk of affecting the pregnancy but healthcare professionals don't believe there is any reason it would cause harm
Yes, people react differently to medications but 17 million people have had it so I think you'll be ok
H

Mod Edit: For advice, guidance and up-to-date information on Coronavirus/COVID-19, please check out the NHS, UK Government, and Mind (mental health) web-pages. You can also find practical advice for managing your mental health in the pandemic from TSR, including advice from clinical psychiatrist, here.

So far the most vaccinated country in the world is Seychelles even greater number of vaccines than Israel. This article says they are under another lockdown even after them so..

Quick Reply

Latest