The Student Room Group

Step up to social work cohort 7 2022

Has anyone applied for step up to social work this year?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jjbear1995
Has anyone applied for step up to social work this year?

Hi, not yet - they opened applications yesterday. I am really keen in applying but am worried about the requirements: the min 6 months full time work/volunteering: I worked with vulnerable young adults as a VSO volunteer, but it was over 10 years ago now, and otherwise I have been volunteering but in the evenings/weekends, def not FT. Right now I am Co-Chair of Governors in my local school. I am in my 40s. My question is, am I too old, and is my volunteering experience not enough (I work in HE otherwise)? What is the typical profile of successful candidates? thanks in advance for anyone who can reply :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Pattyboop
Hi, not yet - they opened applications yesterday. I am really keen in applying but am worried about the requirements: the min 6 months full time work/volunteering: I worked with vulnerable young adults as a VSO volunteer, but it was over 10 years ago now, and otherwise I have been volunteering but in the evenings/weekends, def not FT. Right now I am Co-Chair of Governors in my local school. I am in my 40s. My question is, am I too old, and is my volunteering experience not enough (I work in HE otherwise)? What is the typical profile of successful candidates? thanks in advance for anyone who can reply :smile:

Hi, I'd say just go for it!
If you add up your volunteering work would it be equivalent to 6 months? The important thing is that you can give examples of how you meet the criteria, that you have the required attributes and are able to reflect on your experiences working with children and families.

Your age is absolutely not a problem. I've applied for Think Ahead and am through to the final assessment stage next month and I'm 49! I know of a few that are in their 50s so certainly not an issue.

I am going to apply for Step Ahead too but Think Ahead is my first choice at the moment.

Good luck!
Hi I am applying this year. I echo what deblee says, I think on the application they are looking for people with the interpersonal skills and motivation to become a children and families social worker.

From my preparation for the application it seems that being able to draw on experiences that are linked to the PCF at entry level is important at this stage.

I’ve started the application, I’m sure I did read somewhere that applications may close early if there are lots received.

Deblee I’m sure you have the content for the application from your think ahead application, well done for reaching the the final assessment stage!

Can I ask what experience do other applicants have? Which regional partnership are you hoping for?
thank you so much both of you for your encouraging replies. Good luck with your final stage with Think Ahead Deblee! and good luck to you Millie with your application. I am hoping for East - Cambridgeshire, how about you?
I am applying for London, good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Millie259
Hi I am applying this year. I echo what deblee says, I think on the application they are looking for people with the interpersonal skills and motivation to become a children and families social worker.

From my preparation for the application it seems that being able to draw on experiences that are linked to the PCF at entry level is important at this stage.

I’ve started the application, I’m sure I did read somewhere that applications may close early if there are lots received.

Deblee I’m sure you have the content for the application from your think ahead application, well done for reaching the the final assessment stage!

Can I ask what experience do other applicants have? Which regional partnership are you hoping for?

Thank you! Yes, I should be able to adapt my answers from Think Ahead for this application. This one is much more straightforward thankfully.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 7
Original post by Pattyboop
thank you so much both of you for your encouraging replies. Good luck with your final stage with Think Ahead Deblee! and good luck to you Millie with your application. I am hoping for East - Cambridgeshire, how about you?

You are very welcome and thank you! I'm in Nottinghamshire.

Good luck with your application!
(edited 3 years ago)
HI Everyone. I submitted my application to Step Up today. Good luck to you all. I am 36 and really ready for this change. Does anyone know if they start letting people know if their through to the next round before or after the deadline closes? Thank you
Good luck @Bumble2020I still have finished my application. Which area are you hoping for?
I’m not sure if they wait until the deadline to contact people. Do you know when the assessment centre will be in your area?
Good luck @Bumble2020I still have finished my application. Which area are you hoping for?
I’m not sure if they wait until the deadline to contact people. Do you know when the assessment centre will be in your area?

I'm hoping for Greater Manchester. I've no idea when the assessment centre take place does anybody else? I'm currently waiting on an assessment centre for Think Ahead but would prefer Step Up. Good luck with your application. It's not easy sticking to the word count and fitting everything in.
Yes I’m trying to be as concise as I can be in the application! I see some of the partnerships have put up when their assessments centres will be taking place (not exact but roughly) good luck! What kind of experience do you have?
Yes I’m trying to be as concise as I can be in the application! I see some of the partnerships have put up when their assessments centres will be taking place (not exact but roughly) good luck! What kind of experience do you have?

Really? Have they put the information on their social media? I've not seen anything for my area yet. I have ran community drama projects with disadvantaged groups for many years and I'm currently working in the SEN department of a school. Hopefully that will be okay. I have lots of experience of working with children who are looked after or previously looked after and those with disabilities and that's really what has driven me to retrain. How about yourself?
I saw on one of the LA pages that the assessment centre will be in June. Maybe worth checking them out or contacting the lead for the partnership. Some are holding online information events this month too. I have been working in an unqualified position in children’s services for a number of years. Finally hoping to take the leap and become qualified! Fingers crossed!
I’ve just sent off my application! Hope I get to the assessment centre! I’ve applied for Yorkshire and the Humber
Reply 15
Hello, I only passed my english on the 12h of this month so have an E certificate but am waiting on the original. Will an E certificate be accepted with my application? Thanks
I applied last week and I am still awaiting a decision, Capita screen your application to make sure you have all the basic requirements such as 2:1 degree and then they pass it over to your local authority you applied for to decide based on your answers, so it may take a while to get an answer.
Reply 17
Original post by Acph
Hello, I only passed my english on the 12h of this month so have an E certificate but am waiting on the original. Will an E certificate be accepted with my application? Thanks

Is that an 'E' as in grade?
Reply 18
Original post by indiae2306
I applied last week and I am still awaiting a decision, Capita screen your application to make sure you have all the basic requirements such as 2:1 degree and then they pass it over to your local authority you applied for to decide based on your answers, so it may take a while to get an answer.

I keep obsessing over my emails! I really reaaaallllyy want this!!!
Original post by Jjbear1995
I keep obsessing over my emails! I really reaaaallllyy want this!!!

Me too but I have a suspicion we won't hear for a while. 🤔

Quick Reply

Latest