The Student Room Group

Lockdown will end - Everything back to normal in June?

Poll

Will everything be back to normal in May?

Is anyone watching the coronavirus update? Apparently things are going back to normal by no later than middle of May. Back to school in a few weeks and phased opening of non-essential stores, socials etc. after that. everything should be back to normal by no later than 17th May apparently.

UPDATE: Another update: all social restrictions will be lifted by 21st June. Night clubs, pubs, venues, weddings etc.

If anyone's interested, Boris Johnson is outlining it here right now - video source:

UPDATE: Face-to-face teaching by 8th March - Gov UK source: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mass-testing-for-secondary-pupils-as-all-schools-and-colleges-fully-reopenfrom8-march

UPDATE: Social restrictions being lifted by 21st June - source: https://www.itv.com/news/2021-02-22/boris-johnson-roadmap-announcement
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

my school is talking about just going back to normal next year instead of the rest of this year....
US or UK?
I mean yeah but where im from in the US they are talking about just starting over fresh next school year
ok
Schools and universities will be allowed to go back to normal by June. That doesn't mean they will, often universities will be far more cautious than the government and many schools are being extremely careful with social distancing measures etc. especially to protect its own staff - since Teacbers are not a priority for the vaccine.
"Face to Face teaching" and "back to normal" aren't the same thing. In October I was teaching with a visor on my face, unable to cross a piece of tape on the floor of a classroom. That is what I expect to be doing until the summer at the very least.
Reply 7
Wales will follow England, they have been in step for the most part or a bit more cautious.

NI will follow England.

Scotland is more interesting because until the second wave Sturgeon largely copied England but two weeks later to feign reckless Boris however since last Autumn she's tended to gamble more aggressively than England and she may well do so.

I think back to normal is a bit of a misnomer though, stuff like masks and tier 1 type stuff will probably stay for a year or so. The economy at least should be let loose the end of furlough aside.

With two loads of council seats (about 6500) up for grabs though I think we can all agree that the timing for Boris could not be better. Far from a major threat, this could be a massive boon to his fortunes.
Reply 8
I'm suggesting it will likely be a false dawn. As alluded to I can see potential restrictions next winter if only out of fear.
They've been optimistic for 11 months, and made poor decisions in my personal view for the majority of that time.

There is plenty of scientific evidence to say that wearing masks reduces transmission.
I'll repeat the phrase used by Chris Whitty when asked sometime last year about the effectiveness of social distancing, masks etc...
Anything helps.
Original post by 04MR17
They've been optimistic for 11 months, and made poor decisions in my personal view for the majority of that time.

I actually think the government is being a bit more cautious than they have done in the past.

We came out of the November lockdown too early and/or did not have enough restrictions in place at the back end of the year. From my cynical perspective, this was purely political because the government wanted to avoid the Boris cancels Christmas headlines. The consequences are we got hit by a massive spike of deaths in January. So that is why I think they are taking things a bit slower than I envisaged they would.
Science is politicized, it's up to them how many waves they want. What matters to them is fulfilling their agenda.
Original post by 04MR17
I'll repeat the phrase used by Chris Whitty when asked sometime last year about the effectiveness of social distancing, masks etc...
Anything helps.

If they do work, why did he say in March that they didn't?
Original post by Megacent
If they do work, why did he say in March that they didn't?
Could you provide the exact quotation, for context?
Social Credit System for maximum control. China is the archetect who has perfected it to the letter.
It's coming, digital vaccine passport is the vehicle.
Original post by TowlerCollett
No, UK is the homeland of the Anglo Saxons. We are the aborigines here, perhaps dont trash our city centres in the middle of a supposed health crisis.

Look, I appreciate that lockdown is hitting you hard because you can't play with your school pals, but if you are going to troll, can you at least put some effort into it?

Otherwise, may I suggest you go back to playing with your Duplo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending