The Student Room Group

A levels

If i were to sit as/a2 at the same time, when will the earliest be when i get into uni? Assume that i get in on my first try and im 18 at the end of the year. So would i have to sit them when im 19 and apply when 20?

Scroll to see replies

You can apply to uni before taking your exams as long as you get your results before you start. So if you sit exams on either jan or summer sittings then you can start uni the same year.
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
You can apply to uni before taking your exams as long as you get your results before you start. So if you sit exams on either jan or summer sittings then you can start uni the same year.

So i can apply without doing both as and a2 and it would be a unconditional/conditional offer
You’re unlikely to get an unconditional but yes.
You apply in Nov the year before you want to start, and take your exams a few months later ready to start Uni that sept
You’re unlikely to get an unconditional but yes.
You apply in Nov the year before you want to start, and take your exams a few months later ready to start Uni that sept

Are u sure that they will even keep me in mind? I mean there will be people with their as grades and good gcse grades.
Original post by TheLostStudent06
Are u sure that they will even keep me in mind? I mean there will be people with their as grades and good gcse grades.

Unis don’t write off your application just bc you haven’t done your exams yet, don’t be ridiculous.

Also if you do the full A-level it overwrites your AS for that subject, making it completely pointless so don’t waste your time and money doing both.

Literally all the unis want is for you to have passed gcse maths and English, a good personal statement and for you to either have or be predicted good alevel grades. Nothing else matters to them
Unis don’t write off your application just bc you haven’t done your exams yet, don’t be ridiculous.

Also if you do the full A-level it overwrites your AS for that subject, making it completely pointless so don’t waste your time and money doing both.

Literally all the unis want is for you to have passed gcse maths and English, a good personal statement and for you to either have or be predicted good alevel grades. Nothing else matters to them

Are you sure that theres no point doing As?! I thought you had to do As and A2 for it to be a complete qualification
Are you sure that theres no point doing As?! I thought you had to do As and A2 for it to be a complete qualification

It used to be, but the system changed. Now, the AS only has any meaning if you don’t continue and take the full A-level exam.
I didn’t sit any AS exams and got 4 unconditional offers so you really don’t need to worry
It used to be, but the system changed. Now, the AS only has any meaning if you don’t continue and take the full A-level exam.
I didn’t sit any AS exams and got 4 unconditional offers so you really don’t need to worry

So when they ask for as grades, what should i say?
So when they ask for as grades, what should i say?

They don’t ask.
You input what qualifications you have/ will have when you start uni. You only need to provide your Alevel predicted grades
They don’t ask.
You input what qualifications you have/ will have when you start uni. You only need to provide your Alevel predicted grades

But i dont have a level predictions?
But i dont have a level predictions?

Not sure what to do about that. You should probably call ucas tomorrow and ask
Not sure what to do about that. You should probably call ucas tomorrow and ask

Do you think it will be a barrier if i apply without as and a2 and tell them im going to sit them together later on?
Do you think it will be a barrier if i apply without as and a2 and tell them im going to sit them together later on?

1. How are you doing A-Levels?
2. Why are you sitting both AS and A-Levels? The course is now linear so there is no point in sitting both exams.
Original post by 5hyl33n
1. How are you doing A-Levels?
2. Why are you sitting both AS and A-Levels? The course is now linear so there is no point in sitting both exams.

Privately. So what would you recommend me doing?
Privately. So what would you recommend me doing?

Do you have a tutor or are you enrolled at a centre? They can provide it for you.

Once you have your predictions, then you can learn and revise content as normal and sit your final A-Level exams. Student's only usually sit AS exams now if they are planning on dropping a subject.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Do you have a tutor or are you enrolled at a centre? They can provide it for you.

Once you have your predictions, then you can learn and revise content as normal and sit your final A-Level exams. Student's only usually sit AS exams now if they are planning on dropping a subject.

I was thinking of enrolling next academic year. Do you think this will slow down the process?
I was thinking of enrolling next academic year. Do you think this will slow down the process?

I have no idea how that will work. Although, @PQ will know.

Check back tomorrow on TSR and they will have responded.
Original post by 5hyl33n
I have no idea how that will work. Although, @PQ will know.

Check back tomorrow on TSR and they will have responded.

Thank you

Why are you sitting privately? Are you a non UK student?

What course and universities are you planning to apply for?

Quick Reply

Latest