The Student Room Group

TW: I keep having disturbing daydreams

I keep having really disturbing daydreams of myself being verbally or physically abused. Sometimes they’ll be about me being hit, screamed at, killed, and even a few are about me harming or killing myself and/or others. I don’t know why I’m having daydreams like this but I hate it and I want to stop.
These don't sound like daydreams per say but rather intrusive thoughts. Everyone has some intrusive thoughts but if they are recurrent and hard to ignore as you described you should probably talk to your doctor about it. As for the reason why you are experiencing this distressing intrusive thoughts are often associated with mental health issues particularly those which are anxiety or trauma based but they may be present for many reasons so you'll need to talk to a professional to know for sure.
Reply 2
Original post by LaytonBriar4468
These don't sound like daydreams per say but rather intrusive thoughts. Everyone has some intrusive thoughts but if they are recurrent and hard to ignore as you described you should probably talk to your doctor about it. As for the reason why you are experiencing this distressing intrusive thoughts are often associated with mental health issues particularly those which are anxiety or trauma based but they may be present for many reasons so you'll need to talk to a professional to know for sure.

Oh ok thank you
Could be a sign of maladaptive daydreaming. It's not typically diagnosed but more like a label (fairly new 'mental illness')

It's heavily linked to intrusive thoughts. If you spend a large portion of your day daydreaming about whatever, and it either affects your daily life (unable to concentrate on school work or unable to sleep because of your daydreaming) then it can be considered maladaptive, or if you're having intrusive thoughts that you keep going back to. Like, for example. If the day dream comes to being abused, you try to veer off that path and change the daydream to something else but you keep going back to it.

But as above said, it can also be intrusive thoughts if you don't tend to daydream as much as a maladaptive daydreamer.

Would definitely recommend seeking psychiatric help though, as these thoughts can be very distressing.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I keep having really disturbing daydreams of myself being verbally or physically abused. Sometimes they’ll be about me being hit, screamed at, killed, and even a few are about me harming or killing myself and/or others. I don’t know why I’m having daydreams like this but I hate it and I want to stop.

How old are you?
Reply 5
Original post by cchloepx
Could be a sign of maladaptive daydreaming. It's not typically diagnosed but more like a label (fairly new 'mental illness')

It's heavily linked to intrusive thoughts. If you spend a large portion of your day daydreaming about whatever, and it either affects your daily life (unable to concentrate on school work or unable to sleep because of your daydreaming) then it can be considered maladaptive, or if you're having intrusive thoughts that you keep going back to. Like, for example. If the day dream comes to being abused, you try to veer off that path and change the daydream to something else but you keep going back to it.

But as above said, it can also be intrusive thoughts if you don't tend to daydream as much as a maladaptive daydreamer.

Would definitely recommend seeking psychiatric help though, as these thoughts can be very distressing.

I will look into that. It sounds a lot like what I’m going through but I don’t daydream constantly
Reply 6
Original post by Kerzen
How old are you?

I’d rather not say my exact age but I’m a tween
Reply 7
I’d rather not say my exact age but I’m a tween

Does that mean that you are between 10 and 14?
Reply 8
Original post by Kerzen
Does that mean that you are between 10 and 14?

Mhm
I get this too, i've heard of maladaptive daydreaming and can relate heavily to the typical symptoms. I don't want to stop the daydreams though, i actually enjoy them, as weird as it sounds. A lot of MD'ers are quite content with their daydreams, and find pleasure in them. Do they bug you and do you want them to stop? Or do you enjoy them?
I get this too, i've heard of maladaptive daydreaming and can relate heavily to the typical symptoms. I don't want to stop the daydreams though, i actually enjoy them, as weird as it sounds. A lot of MD'ers are quite content with their daydreams, and find pleasure in them. Do they bug you and do you want them to stop? Or do you enjoy them?

They’re like clumps of small holes for me. I hate them and I want to look away but I just can’t...
They’re like clumps of small holes for me. I hate them and I want to look away but I just can’t...

Sounds more like intrusive thoughts / ocd. I'd recommend trying to get some professional help, ocd is a toughie to beat, therapy and meds can help. It's best to try and nip that sort of stuff in the bud as soon as possible, so it hasn't had as long to set in.
Sounds more like intrusive thoughts / ocd. I'd recommend trying to get some professional help, ocd is a toughie to beat, therapy and meds can help. It's best to try and nip that sort of stuff in the bud as soon as possible, so it hasn't had as long to set in.

I’ll try to look into it but it’s really hard since I still live with my parents so I can’t really get professional help in secret
Reply 13
I’ll try to look into it but it’s really hard since I still live with my parents so I can’t really get professional help in secret

I was going to suggest Childline to you, one of the main reasons being that they offer online chats with Counsellors.

I'm sure they would be able to help you with this.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/
Original post by Kerzen
I was going to suggest Childline to you, one of the main reasons being that they offer online chats with Counsellors.

I'm sure they would be able to help you with this.

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest