The Student Room Group

Suspending

need advice!

If I was to finish first year of undergrad degree and suspend my studies after first year for one year untill I’m better from a medical issue that I got during Christmas and has messed up my life ever since (I need proper time to recover and not have anything tying me down to commiting to moving 600 miles away and studying incase I’m not better by the start of second year!)

Is this possible? Can you suspend for a whole year? If needs be I’ll drop out I’m just aware if I was to get better and want to go back, not only would I need to re apply but student finance wouldn’t fund 1/3 years as I’ve all-ready had a full years funding. Like I said if I’m not better and suspending for a year isn’t possible I’ll drop out and deal with going back when I’m better, but ucas doesn’t say if you can suspend for a whole year or not!
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _pch_
need advice!

If I was to finish first year of undergrad degree and suspend my studies after first year for one year untill I’m better from a medical issue that I got during Christmas and has messed up my life ever since (I need proper time to recover and not have anything tying me down to commiting to moving 600 miles away and studying incase I’m not better by the start of second year!)

Is this possible? Can you suspend for a whole year? If needs be I’ll drop out I’m just aware if I was to get better and want to go back, not only would I need to re apply but student finance wouldn’t fund 1/3 years as I’ve all-ready had a full years funding. Like I said if I’m not better and suspending for a year isn’t possible I’ll drop out and deal with going back when I’m better, but ucas doesn’t say if you can suspend for a whole year or not!

Yes, for a well defined medical issue or similar disruption universities will typically let you take a formal interruption of studies (IOS) and then re-start your course where you left off. I just had a tutee rejoin their course after a 2 year break for military service so as long as you present a well defined case to the senior tutor / course director this is usually a pretty standard thing.
Reply 2
Original post by _pch_
need advice!

You need to talk to the uni.If you dropped out SF would finance new degree.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Yes, for a well defined medical issue or similar disruption universities will typically let you take a formal interruption of studies (IOS) and then re-start your course where you left off. I just had a tutee rejoin their course after a 2 year break for military service so as long as you present a well defined case to the senior tutor / course director this is usually a pretty standard thing.

Thank you for your reply and advice! Sounds silly but gives me the confidence in reaching out to tutors and approaching them about wanting this now I know it’s a legitimate thing and I’d be taken seriously, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending