Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi anon,
As far as I'm aware, I've seen people skating and rollerskating across campus so I believe it would be allowed. When you get your accommodation confirmed you could always email your accommodation manager to double check though.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thanks 😊
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Hi. I was wondering what students can use to decorate their rooms (ie. putting up posters and stuff).
Original post by nleader1611
Hi. I was wondering what students can use to decorate their rooms (ie. putting up posters and stuff).

Hi @nleader1611,

The Residents' Handbook (which you can find here, for last year) asks students to avoid sticking things on the walls, ceilings and windows, and asks that you use white tac and pins when appropriate. You'll get at least one noticeboard in your room which you can pin things on and a lot of people do put posters on doors, cupboards, etc.

You can check out my blog here on how different students have decorated their rooms. Essentially, it's up to you how you decorate, but just remember that if you leave any marks you may lose your deposit!

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help!

Maria :smile:
1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Hi @nleader1611,

The Residents' Handbook (which you can find here, for last year) asks students to avoid sticking things on the walls, ceilings and windows, and asks that you use white tac and pins when appropriate. You'll get at least one noticeboard in your room which you can pin things on and a lot of people do put posters on doors, cupboards, etc.

You can check out my blog here on how different students have decorated their rooms. Essentially, it's up to you how you decorate, but just remember that if you leave any marks you may lose your deposit!

If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help!

1st year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)

Thank you!
Do all electronics have to be PAT tested before arrival?
Original post by nleader1611
Do all electronics have to be PAT tested before arrival?

Hi @nleader1611!

The Residents' Handbook states that non-rechargeable electronics do have to be PAT-tested before arrival, but rechargeable equipment (such as phone and laptop chargers) may not have to be.

"You are responsible for the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) of any non-rechargeable electric equipment you bring with you...If this has been bought inside the UK you must arrange to have it tested annually after the first year. Anything brought in from outside the UK must be tested and your Accommodation Manager can supply you with a replacement electric cable for the equipment. For rechargeable equipment such as mobile phones and tablets, UK chargers are readily available and are preferred to the use of adaptors."

You can find this in the handbook here, on pg. 16.

2nd year English Literature, Creative Writing and Practice (placement year)
Hi @nleader1611!

The Residents' Handbook states that non-rechargeable electronics do have to be PAT-tested before arrival, but rechargeable equipment (such as phone and laptop chargers) may not have to be.

"You are responsible for the Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) of any non-rechargeable electric equipment you bring with you...If this has been bought inside the UK you must arrange to have it tested annually after the first year. Anything brought in from outside the UK must be tested and your Accommodation Manager can supply you with a replacement electric cable for the equipment. For rechargeable equipment such as mobile phones and tablets, UK chargers are readily available and are preferred to the use of adaptors."

You can find this in the handbook here, on pg. 16.

Ok thank you
Can you safely cycle into the city in a reasonable amount of time?
Original post by Anonymous
Can you safely cycle into the city in a reasonable amount of time?

Hi @Anonymous #7,

Lancaster is a really bike-friendly city, and there are cycle paths from the university to the city. It takes about 15-20 minutes to cycle there, and there are designated cycle paths on the road.

Hi @Anonymous #7,

Lancaster is a really bike-friendly city, and there are cycle paths from the university to the city. It takes about 15-20 minutes to cycle there, and there are designated cycle paths on the road.

Thank you :smile:
Hi I'm a first year student but I don't live on campus, I don't really know where to start to meet people as I am also new to Lancaster and I'm pretty nervous about it. Are there any events on which could help me get to know some people?
Original post by colew17
Hi I'm a first year student but I don't live on campus, I don't really know where to start to meet people as I am also new to Lancaster and I'm pretty nervous about it. Are there any events on which could help me get to know some people?

Hi @colew17,

Firstly, welcome to Lancaster! You should have been assigned a college, even if you're not living on campus, so the best way to get involved at the minute is to look on your college social media, and see what virtual and in-person events have been planned. Additionally, on the iLancaster app, there should be a section for 'Welcome Week' which will give you more information about the general university events and sessions for you to meet others. You can find more information about this here.

Hi, I have accepted an offer from your school (MA creative writing) and in the email, it states that “We will send you further information to help you prepare for your studies at Lancaster in due course.”. I would like to know around what month will I be receiving these information?

And I noticed some MA programmes require a deposit to secure their place but none is mentioned in my offer letter. I have clicked the accept button but I’m not sure whether this means I have secured my place or not🙈
Hi, I’ve got an offer for natural sciences. I wanted to ask, the LUMS students have dedicated career events/mentors/fairs etc, but if you’re possibly interested in these industries, but aren’t a LUMS student, do they have the same access to those career coaches and events? Thanks
Original post by nabilahxo
Hi, I’ve got an offer for natural sciences. I wanted to ask, the LUMS students have dedicated career events/mentors/fairs etc, but if you’re possibly interested in these industries, but aren’t a LUMS student, do they have the same access to those career coaches and events? Thanks

My eldest daughter does physics there first year and this term shes had a dedicated post grad mentor which is helping students build their career CV and establishing links on linked-in website and also advice on applying for internships. The internships and opportunities are usually popular around 2 year onwards, but on occasion has first year opportunities. If her physics lecturer can secure the funding for first year online placements this year then shes going to go for it.
When does 2021 accomodation open for new undergraduates?
Original post by Anonymous
When does 2021 accomodation open for new undergraduates?

Last few years its been late June, and then you get told about a week after your exam results.
Hi I’m applying for modern languages to start in 2022 I was wondering if there’s an interview process?

Thanks,
Em x
Original post by emily5411
Hi I’m applying for modern languages to start in 2022 I was wondering if there’s an interview process?

Thanks,
Em x

Hi Emily,

I can confirm that there is no interview process for modern languages at Lancaster.
Good luck with your application

Sam
4th Year Mechanical Engineering
Hello, I want to do a law degree , likely at Lancaster, but I am not keen on training for years on end after university to do the LPC to become a solicitor, or a lawyer or barrister, especially if the training is unpaid.I am much more interested in getting a graduate job of some kind.Given this is it stupid to study law, as my impression is that there are less graduate jobs for law degrees relative to others, as the expectation is that students further their studies trying to complete the LPC, and then become lawyers, solicitors ext....
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending