The Student Room Group

Fine art vs graphic communication

Hi, Im currently picking my gcses and cant decide between fine art or graphic communication. Any Pros and Cons?
Reply 1
Original post by alisa12345
Hi, Im currently picking my gcses and cant decide between fine art or graphic communication. Any Pros and Cons?

Hey, I’m not sure about graphic communication, but I’m currently doing gcse art. Only choose it if you enjoy it and not because you think it’s easy, because it’s definitely not and it needs a lot of time and effort. It’s a good subject and not difficult to pass if you enjoy doing it and like painting, drawing etc. although there’s a lot of work to do, so If you choose it make sure You know what you have to do from the beginning and and do as much work as you can. Hope this helps and if you’ve got any other questions I’m happy to help 😊

oh god im taking graphics at the moment and I HATE IT.
Both graphics and art follow the gcse art spec, sot he work you do will be the same in both just through a different medium.

In graphics, we use adobe software like photoshop, illustrator and indesign to create logos, postcards, posters, etc...
In art, you will probably use more traditional mediums like paint, carchol, colouring penicls, etc to create more realist images

but only take it if you're already good at drawing and really like art! It can be very time consuming!!
Reply 3
Original post by slightlyinsane
oh god im taking graphics at the moment and I HATE IT.
Both graphics and art follow the gcse art spec, sot he work you do will be the same in both just through a different medium.

In graphics, we use adobe software like photoshop, illustrator and indesign to create logos, postcards, posters, etc...
In art, you will probably use more traditional mediums like paint, carchol, colouring penicls, etc to create more realist images

but only take it if you're already good at drawing and really like art! It can be very time consuming!!

Thank you!
Thank you!

by the way, I probably only hate it because im not keeping up with the coursework and I am also generally not very creative, I only took it because there is nothing better to take! It's not like it is extremely difficult or anything, just time consuming and requires dedication and passion!
Original post by annie_78
Hey, I’m not sure about graphic communication, but I’m currently doing gcse art. Only choose it if you enjoy it and not because you think it’s easy, because it’s definitely not and it needs a lot of time and effort. It’s a good subject and not difficult to pass if you enjoy doing it and like painting, drawing etc. although there’s a lot of work to do, so If you choose it make sure You know what you have to do from the beginning and and do as much work as you can. Hope this helps and if you’ve got any other questions I’m happy to help 😊

Hi! I'm also thinking of taking art, but i was kind of worried about the workload. How are you finding the amount of work right now, and is art affecting your other GCSEs revision? Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by slightlyinsane
by the way, I probably only hate it because im not keeping up with the coursework and I am also generally not very creative, I only took it because there is nothing better to take! It's not like it is extremely difficult or anything, just time consuming and requires dedication and passion!

hahah ok, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest