The Student Room Group

The Evolution of EGB- a year 11 GYG

Capture.PNG
Greetings humans

Today I am broadcasting live from the procrastination station, as I realise I am a bit of a latecomer to this GYG thing,but I thought I would try it out, for better or for worse, we shall see...
:nyan:

My GCSE OPTIONS AND PERSONAL TARGETS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

Spoiler

My plan of action is to upload at least once a week, to document my qualms and facepalms, my pitfalls and my downfalls. After all, it is all about the recovery

Spoiler

Feel free to ask questions and shamelessly post a link to your own GYGs below so that I can read them!

:nyan::party2::nyan::bl:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

On behalf of TSR, [permission assumed]

Good Luck!
Hiya, moved this to GYG forum :biggrin: Good luck!
Wow thank you guys :biggrin:
MOTIVATION

So, first off lets start with motivation.

It has been very hard for me personally and most of the people I know to revise, seeing as we still do not know what the current circumstances are, and it seems like quite a useless thing to do, with everything thats going on. But I still get inspired. I finished all nine seasons of suits and it is amazing by the way. Now in my mind, when I study its like a boxing ring with Harvey Specter yelling motivational stuff at me

I would also suggest you check out some great studytubers:
-Unjaded Jade
-Eve Benett
Ali Abdaal

. Above my desk, I also have my old school report, with all my old predicted grades to remind me that I want bigger and better than that. Motivation can be an odd thing.Find what works for you.Maybe you do get inspired by your favourite TV show. Or maybe it is your favourite sports champion or actor. It is important not only to think about GRADES GRADES GRADES when it comes to gcses, or any other qualification, its important to recognise what you can achieve in any situation, meaning if you get the worst possible for example, how are you going to improve and rise from it? Its all about the recovery.

In the meantime, away from studying, I am quite happy because I found a site called project Gutenberg with loads of free online books! I prefer physical books obviously but they are free!!!! I have nearly finished all of the sherlock holmes books, meaning soon I can call myself a sherlockian- especially since I watched the sherlock series(also great by the way)

Feel free to ask me any questions:smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Good luck! :biggrin: Which is your favourite subject?
Original post by laurawatt
Good luck! :biggrin: Which is your favourite subject?

Hey at the moment I really love history and spanish , although I do get a bit frustrated at how we dont go into much depth on much, especially since I like to nerd out on everything :biggrin:

And whilst we are on the subject I forgot to mention the A-levels I will be taking earlier.

MY A-LEVELS ARE AS FOLLOWS

Spoiler

What are your favourite subjects?
Original post by TheNotoriousEGB
Hey at the moment I really love history and spanish , although I do get a bit frustrated at how we dont go into much depth on much, especially since I like to nerd out on everything :biggrin:

And whilst we are on the subject I forgot to mention the A-levels I will be taking earlier.

MY A-LEVELS ARE AS FOLLOWS

Spoiler

What are your favourite subjects?

Awesome! Yeah A-levels definitely do go more in-depth which it sounds like you’ll be happy with :grin:
Love your combination - I know someone who does those alevels and really enjoys them :yep:

My fav subject is maths! :cute:
Hey guys today I thought I would start with...

REVISION RESOURCES

these are all the online resources for GCSEs that I use, feel free to suggest your own favourites :rolleyes:

every day:

Spoiler

Youtube channels:

Spoiler

practice papers/questions:

Spoiler

learning websites:

Spoiler

Lastly, I was thinking maybe I should do a post once a week reccomending a book, a podcast, a youtube video, a petition to sign and instagram accounts to follow if anyones interested? Let me know!!!
I'm interested! Also, can I know how you revise for english? I also watch Mr Salle teaches English but mostly for English language.
Original post by StarshineDiamond
I'm interested! Also, can I know how you revise for english? I also watch Mr Salle teaches English but mostly for English language.

Hey there! English is one of those subjecs that needs practice, above all, meaning you can waffle on little information during the exam.
For English Language, the very first practice paper I completed was done in about 4 hours(with a break inbetween obviously) because I struggled knowing what to write about.But now I have done two more since christmas, the feedback I have recieved fro my teachers means I improved, and I am now better at writing inferences and picking out information.I would especially give your papers to your teacher If you want to prove yourself so they can predict you higher.

For English literature, the content is very dense, which makes it harder to revise for in my opinion, and to get a better mark, you have to show good understanding of the text. I do this by saying: On the surface this could simply suggest that... But on a deeper level, this could mean that..
This ensures you get alternative interpretations in there. For content, I would always take notes from Mr Salles, since he gives better information and context then my teachers. I have even started buying some of his physical textbooks, such as the Macbeth one which I now refer to as the Macbeth bible. Practice is also important, and even if you write about different themes or texts for each question you still apply the same skills and writing style to each , which is why practice definitely helps.

My school has dropped poetry due to coronavirus this year, and I would be interested to know what everyone else has dropped from their english literature GCSE?
Hope this helps:smile:
Hey there! English is one of those subjecs that needs practice, above all, meaning you can waffle on little information during the exam.
For English Language, the very first practice paper I completed was done in about 4 hours(with a break inbetween obviously) because I struggled knowing what to write about.But now I have done two more since christmas, the feedback I have recieved fro my teachers means I improved, and I am now better at writing inferences and picking out information.I would especially give your papers to your teacher If you want to prove yourself so they can predict you higher.

For English literature, the content is very dense, which makes it harder to revise for in my opinion, and to get a better mark, you have to show good understanding of the text. I do this by saying: On the surface this could simply suggest that... But on a deeper level, this could mean that..
This ensures you get alternative interpretations in there. For content, I would always take notes from Mr Salles, since he gives better information and context then my teachers. I have even started buying some of his physical textbooks, such as the Macbeth one which I now refer to as the Macbeth bible. Practice is also important, and even if you write about different themes or texts for each question you still apply the same skills and writing style to each , which is why practice definitely helps.

My school has dropped poetry due to coronavirus this year, and I would be interested to know what everyone else has dropped from their english literature GCSE?

Thanks I found this helpful. I wish my school dropped poetry :bawling: Instead they dropped Frankenstein and we're doing Love and Relationships (poetry), An Inspector Calls and Macbeth.
Hey guys!

Today I have just started school again after a half term holiday let me know how yours was😄
Below is a photo of some of my note taking for chemistry.
This has been done in a refill pad, which I now use instead of school books and usually get for a pound from the works. I really recommend these as they are already hole punched meaning that they can just go into your folder, and pages can be ripped out

anyway, lets get on to...

WEEKLY RECCOMENDATIONS

INSTAGRAM ACOUNT OF THE WEEK: nowhitesaviours- this account works to deconstruct white saviourism at work-I would highly reccomend if you have no idea what white saviourism is, because it is something everyone should at least know the consequences of

BOOK OF THE WEEK: fake law, by the secret barrister- it is a must-read which covers almost all the ways the law is missrepresented in the UK, and totally changes how you percieve the news surrounding cases. It is witty and insightful, and has to be read in order to understand ways in which justice is perverted in the UK.

PODCAST OF THE WEEK: duolingo spanish podcast- This really has helped me improve my understanding and listening for my GCSE, and I think they also do a french one if you are interested

YOUTUBE CHANNEL OF THE WEEK: kristen leo- this channel not only explains sustainability but also explores social issues really well and supports her views with clear well-backed research

PETITION OF THE WEEK: http://chng.it/tWySNRCV48- this petition aims to get the golden globes to rescind Sias ableist movie 'Music' which contributes to harmful stereotypes of people with autism. The full list of reason(its very long) is on the site.

Enjoy!!!
image.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)
Wow you seem really organised and conscious of social issues. How do you keep up to date with everything that's going on around the world? Also you mentioned white saviorism; I'm quite interested in racial issues and like to discuss things like this (I'm black btw). What are you passionate about when it comes to equality and racial dilemmas?
I just realised it's 4 in the morning and you're probably asleep. Oh well.
Hey guys!

Today I have just started school again after a half term holiday let me know how yours was😄
Below is a photo of some of my note taking for chemistry.
This has been done in a refill pad, which I now use instead of school books and usually get for a pound from the works. I really recommend these as they are already hole punched meaning that they can just go into your folder, and pages can be ripped out

anyway, lets get on to...

WEEKLY RECCOMENDATIONS

INSTAGRAM ACOUNT OF THE WEEK: nowhitesaviours- this account works to deconstruct white saviourism at work-I would highly reccomend if you have no idea what white saviourism is, because it is something everyone should at least know the consequences of

BOOK OF THE WEEK: fake law, by the secret barrister- it is a must-read which covers almost all the ways the law is missrepresented in the UK, and totally changes how you percieve the news surrounding cases. It is witty and insightful, and has to be read in order to understand ways in which justice is perverted in the UK.

PODCAST OF THE WEEK: duolingo spanish podcast- This really has helped me improve my understanding and listening for my GCSE, and I think they also do a french one if you are interested

YOUTUBE CHANNEL OF THE WEEK: kristen leo- this channel not only explains sustainability but also explores social issues really well and supports her views with clear well-backed research

PETITION OF THE WEEK: http://chng.it/tWySNRCV48- this petition aims to get the golden globes to rescind Sias ableist movie 'Music' which contributes to harmful stereotypes of people with autism. The full list of reason(its very long) is on the site.

Enjoy!!!
image.jpg

My half term was alright but largely unproductive. I told myself I would return to work immediately on the first day back but I ended up falling asleep after school which is why I'm still awake at 4am in the morning.
Wow you seem really organised and conscious of social issues. How do you keep up to date with everything that's going on around the world? Also you mentioned white saviorism; I'm quite interested in racial issues and like to discuss things like this (I'm black btw). What are you passionate about when it comes to equality and racial dilemmas?

Thank you for replying! The way I keep up with the world is through instagram, where i follow many accounts that I can reccomend If you like, and if you use social media in the right way, it ocan actually become a source of education,although Im still ashamed to say that I only learned about things like the Stonewall uprisings from an instagram post- something my school has never bothered to mention.

Likewise, I find education in school very whitewashed.If you are lucky, you may have the opportunity if you take history GCSE to learn about Amercan civil rights... but why do we never learn about the British fight for equal rights? It is as if we are taught it ended with slavery 'hundreds of years ago'. My school even did a presentation in assembly on how this country was always a 'welcoming place for everyone'...

Obviously, this is very rich coming from me as a white person, but I really dislike the way we have been taught, especially about the british empire, as we are the country that committed the most human rights abuses ever.The fact that as white british people we are not used to talking about race, means that we are unable to face our past. This is one of the reasons why I think it is important for white people like me to learn about white saviorism, white fragility and subconscious bias is because we ultimately have to confront ourselves in order to move forward, because we are the ones still perpetuating this system which breeds ignorance..

When it comes to equality and racial dilemmas, I think the main obstacle is Justice. Although most British people like to think we are better that the USA, we actually have not arrested a policeman for the death of a person in custody (e.g Stephen Lawrence, Cherry Groece,) since 1967, when the beatles were still alive. Especially when it took 19 years to actually arrest the killers of Stephen Lawrence, and then only two of the five actually go to prison. Also, representation in feminism, which is still mainstream white, straight, cisgender, skinny women. I believe to be a feminist you need to be fighting for the rights of all women, which means you fight for the rights of black women, LGBTQ+ women, indigenous women, etc.

When it comes to reading, I would really reccomend 'why I am no longer talking to white people about race' which is usually where I get most of my data and information from.I also reccomend the autobiography of Malcolm X, since this man helped inspire the black power movement, and I find is often one of the most misunderstood civil rights activists.

Lastly, here are two youtube channels:
Kadijah Mbowe- talks about privilige, the prevalence of colourism, and so much more. I would really reccomend the video about bridgerton.
Jordan Theresa- this channel has many great videos on the rise of the far right and xenophobia in Britain, and is really well researched

(edited 3 years ago)
I just realised it's 4 in the morning and you're probably asleep. Oh well.

Dont worry its fine I will always try to reply :smile:
My half term was alright but largely unproductive. I told myself I would return to work immediately on the first day back but I ended up falling asleep after school which is why I'm still awake at 4am in the morning.

Again, do not stress this is something each and every student goes through including myself , as far as I know, every friend I have is feeling unproductive, dont let it weigh down on you.
Thank you for replying! The way I keep up with the world is through instagram, where i follow many accounts that I can reccomend If you like, and if you use social media in the right way, it ocan actually become a source of education,although Im still ashamed to say that I only learned about things like the Stonewall uprisings from an instagram post- something my school has never bothered to mention.

Likewise, I find education in school very whitewashed.If you are lucky, you may have the opportunity if you take history GCSE to learn about Amercan civil rights... but why do we never learn about the British fight for equal rights? It is as if we are taught it ended with slavery 'hundreds of years ago'. My school even did a presentation in assembly on how this country was always a 'welcoming place for everyone'...

Obviously, this is very rich coming from me as a white person, but I really dislike the way we have been taught, especially about the british empire, as we are the country that committed the most human rights abuses ever.

When it comes to equality and racial dilemmas, I think the main obstacle is Justice. Although most British people like to think we are better that the USA, we actually have not arrested a policeman for the death of a person in custody (e.g Stephen Lawrence, Cherry Groece,) since 1967, when the beatles were still alive. Especially when it took 19 years to actually arrest the killers of Stephen Lawrence, and then only two of the five actually go to prison. Also, representation in feminism, which is still mainstream white, straight, cisgender, skinny women. I believe to be a feminist you need to be fighting for the rights of all women, which means you fight for the rights of black women, LGBTQ+ women, indigenous women, etc.

When it comes to reading, I would really reccomend 'why I am no longer talking to white people about race' which is usually where I get most of my data and information from.I also reccomend the autobiography of Malcolm X, since this man helped inspire the black power movement, and I find is often one of the most misunderstood civil rights activists.

Lastly, here are two youtube channels:
Kadijah Mbowe- talks about privilige, the prevalence of colourism, and so much more. I would really reccomend the video about bridgerton.
Jordan Theresa- this channel has many great videos on the rise of the far right and xenophobia in Britain, and is really well researched

This was more than helpful! I don't really use social media so I don't have an Instagram account (I'm more of a YouTube person) but I'll check out the youtube channels that you recommended. Also same, I only learned about the Stonewall uprising through a YouTube video that I came across one day. School doesn't really teach things like that and even as a History student, we mostly just stick to the curriculum. The curriculum of course is British history (Elizabethan England, Crime and Punishment in Britain over the years and Weimar and Nazi Germany). The only time we really learn about other countries or events is if it comes up in one of our topics.

I agree with you when you say we never really hear about Britain when it comes to the civil rights movement. Even the Windrush that affected so many black lives in Britain and impacted how Britain was formed and is today we've never spoken about in school. I learnt a bit more about the Windrush generation through a book that I read (I don't remember the name) but it was from the perspective of a young Jamaican girl who ends up in Britain during the times of the Windrush and the racism/discrimination she faces along the way. We focus so much on America - especially with the Black Lives Matter movement happening - that we tend to forget that Britain has its own dark past. Nationalism and the fact that its British people forming the curriculum means that we only really learn and hear from biased perspectives.

I actually just searched Stephen Lawrence and Cherry Groce and I'm surprised because this has never come up before as in no one around me has ever mentioned their stories or spoken about this before. I never knew that the police were so blatantly incompetent due to their racist bias. It just goes to show how seemingly obvious racism in Britain can be whilst also being subtle. I agree with your point about feminism - it has mainly been taken over by white, cis women when in reality women of colour have to deal with both racism and sexism and black lgbtq+ women who face to face homophobia/transphobia on top of all of that.

I'll try and read the books you recommended - with libraries being closed it has been harder for me to read lately :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending