The Student Room Group

Business VS Economics A Level

Hi,

I am a Year 11 student starting college in September.
My current subject choices are; Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics and Business.

The college I'm going to requires you to have 8 Grade 7's or higher to study four a levels and I fear I am one or two short of this requirement. With this being said, I will most likely have to drop Economics or Business, but I can't decide which.

I am looking to go to university and study something to do with the business sector, I'm not sure yet. I have heard that top universities see Business as an "easy course" and Economics is more academically challenging, which is good.

Do you recommend Business or Economics?
Original post by PeterTSR
Hi,

I am a Year 11 student starting college in September.
My current subject choices are; Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics and Business.

The college I'm going to requires you to have 8 Grade 7's or higher to study four a levels and I fear I am one or two short of this requirement. With this being said, I will most likely have to drop Economics or Business, but I can't decide which.

I am looking to go to university and study something to do with the business sector, I'm not sure yet. I have heard that top universities see Business as an "easy course" and Economics is more academically challenging, which is good.

Do you recommend Business or Economics?

Hi, I am also in year 11 and planning on doing economics. I'd say that economics is better to do over business since, like you said, universities will probably see business as a 'soft' subject so if you're planning on going to a top uni I would definitely do economics. I'm pretty sure universities will love the combination of maths, computer science and economics to do any degree, especially one in the business sector. Anyways good luck!
Just do whatever subject you like lol.
There is no 'soft' or 'hard' subject please don't fall into this trap.
Original post by Stark°3000
Just do whatever subject you like lol.
There is no 'soft' or 'hard' subject please don't fall into this trap.

Maybe not 'soft' or 'hard' subject but especially for top unis there are subjects which they prefer which are usually the more traditional ones like history and english etc. so just check what a unis preferred subjects are on their website.
Reply 4
Original post by isabel.b
Hi, I am also in year 11 and planning on doing economics. I'd say that economics is better to do over business since, like you said, universities will probably see business as a 'soft' subject so if you're planning on going to a top uni I would definitely do economics. I'm pretty sure universities will love the combination of maths, computer science and economics to do any degree, especially one in the business sector. Anyways good luck!

Thank you!
Maybe not 'soft' or 'hard' subject but especially for top unis there are subjects which they prefer which are usually the more traditional ones like history and english etc. so just check what a unis preferred subjects are on their website.

Yeah I agree a couple of unis do have a preferred subject list.

Which is better for marketing tho? Business or economics
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Which is better for marketing tho? Business or economics

im not too sure. for degrees in general, economics but maybe check universities websites for the courses you are interested in and see.
im not too sure. for degrees in general, economics but maybe check universities websites for the courses you are interested in and see.

Marketing and advertising degrees don’t have subject specific requirements so I wanted to pick subject that will get me into good unis and are related to the degree so they can prepare me best.
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Marketing and advertising degrees don’t have subject specific requirements so I wanted to pick subject that will get me into good unis and are related to the degree so they can prepare me best.

then id say just pick whichever one you find more interesting and are more likely to get a better grade in. some unis have subjects which they prefer so maybe check those aswell
then id say just pick whichever one you find more interesting and are more likely to get a better grade in. some unis have subjects which they prefer so maybe check those aswell

Ok thank u! Econ seems more interesting so I’ll most likely take that one
Reply 11
Been 10 months since a post on this thread, how's everyone going? I decided to go with Economics, Further Maths and Computer Science and am currently achieving AAA in all of them. Definitely made the right choice with Econ over Business and have fallen in love with the subject :smile:
haha yes long time. im doing geography, spanish, economics, and politics and am aiming for A*A*AA (we don’t get predicted grades until after end of years). i really like econ but i definitely prefer micro over macro. that combo sounds very cool and they work great with eachother! what are you planning on doing at uni? im leaning towards geography or/and international relations
Reply 13
Original post by user5037
haha yes long time. im doing geography, spanish, economics, and politics and am aiming for A*A*AA (we don’t get predicted grades until after end of years). i really like econ but i definitely prefer micro over macro. that combo sounds very cool and they work great with eachother! what are you planning on doing at uni? im leaning towards geography or/and international relations

Love that combination as well, that's a great career choice! I'm looking to do something Economics/Business related at a top university so fingers crossed. Still only in AS level, so a year and a bit to go yet :smile:

Latest