The Student Room Group

Fallen out in uni flat

So, ever since I got back to my university accommodation after Christmas it's been a tense atmosphere. I don't know why but I could sense it in the air. I came back one week later than the rest of my flat. One of the guys dropped out of his course a few weeks later and we were left with just two guys (including myself) and three girls.

Anyway, so yesterday it erupted on the flat group chat. The other guy who is fairly friendly with the girls got up around 7am and was in and out of the kitchen because he had to go to placement. It was mentioned on the group chat and I know for a fact they thought it was me, but the guy owned up and apologised. Then they continued to say its been happening lots recently. This was evidently aimed at me, so I told them I've been going to the kitchen at around 8am on weekdays which I don't think is particularly early, and I've told them my door is very squeaky and loud and there's not much I can do about it as it's a fire door.

Apparently, I'm not trying hard enough to be quiet at 8am on a weekday. I mean come off it, I'm not going to live my life in slow motion and spend ages closing some doors in the flat at 8am on a weekday for the few who clearly aren't on very demanding courses and can stay asleep all morning.

Meanwhile, they were saying on this group chat that I'm not trying hard enough to be quiet. So, I asked them (very politely I may add) to be respectful during the day when I have online placement with patients, seeing as they've been talking loudly and squealing outside my door on multiple occasions.

This is where it erupted. They clearly took offence to me asking them to also be respectful and this is where it got heated and I simply left the group chat.

I've emailed the residences asking about reallocating to a different block, is this the best thing to do? I don't think it's something which can be resolved in the flat - the girls have been bossy from the very start but when the other guy left there was an imbalance and now it's an awful atmosphere.
Original post by Anonymous
So, ever since I got back to my university accommodation after Christmas it's been a tense atmosphere. I don't know why but I could sense it in the air. I came back one week later than the rest of my flat. One of the guys dropped out of his course a few weeks later and we were left with just two guys (including myself) and three girls.

Anyway, so yesterday it erupted on the flat group chat. The other guy who is fairly friendly with the girls got up around 7am and was in and out of the kitchen because he had to go to placement. It was mentioned on the group chat and I know for a fact they thought it was me, but the guy owned up and apologised. Then they continued to say its been happening lots recently. This was evidently aimed at me, so I told them I've been going to the kitchen at around 8am on weekdays which I don't think is particularly early, and I've told them my door is very squeaky and loud and there's not much I can do about it as it's a fire door.

Apparently, I'm not trying hard enough to be quiet at 8am on a weekday. I mean come off it, I'm not going to live my life in slow motion and spend ages closing some doors in the flat at 8am on a weekday for the few who clearly aren't on very demanding courses and can stay asleep all morning.

Meanwhile, they were saying on this group chat that I'm not trying hard enough to be quiet. So, I asked them (very politely I may add) to be respectful during the day when I have online placement with patients, seeing as they've been talking loudly and squealing outside my door on multiple occasions.

This is where it erupted. They clearly took offence to me asking them to also be respectful and this is where it got heated and I simply left the group chat.

I've emailed the residences asking about reallocating to a different block, is this the best thing to do? I don't think it's something which can be resolved in the flat - the girls have been bossy from the very start but when the other guy left there was an imbalance and now it's an awful atmosphere.

Honestly move. You don't need to put up with that. I think you have been polite and asked nicely and they didnt respect you.
Generally the girls are very bossy and messy. Get out of there. Find somewhere else, after you pay rent also.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Generally the girls are very bossy and messy. Get out of there. Find somewhere else, after you pay rent also.

Ahah you'd be right at the messy side. They leave their plates everywhere by the sink. I'm a guy and I clean my stuff immediately after using it, I never let food stained plates stack up for days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending