The Student Room Group

Which job offer would you take?

Hi I’m looking for some opinions on which grad scheme to pick. I am aware it’s a tough market, and I should be grateful to be given an offer.

However, from the below, which would you choose?

Technology risk consultant studying 3 certifications at a top ten firm, doing it risk and internal audits.
Technology is large and upcoming in the future so it will be a good place to get your foot in the ladder. Really good team, small team which is expanding and good one to one exposure with partners. I got a good impression from the company.

Audit at a big four firm, studying aca and becoming a chartered accountant. The culture at the big four has a stereotype, small fish in a big pond. However the firm is a lot larger, you get the status of working at a big four. Working within financial services audit. I particularly like this as I can become a chartered accountant but the start date is a lot later in the year.

Based upon the above and your own opinions and what you think the economy would be like and career prospects and exit opportunities, which role would you take? Would love to hear your opinions.
I am not a fan of audit, internal or external, so my opinion will be biased. Having said that, I have studied it, and can give you some insights into the job.

I also get bored when people talk about risks and technological risks (sorry).

I agree that both would be considered essential in the next decade or so, and either would provide you with a good pay package. I'd think it's more important to pick the one you would be more interested in, as you would be spending 40-60 hours a week on it for the next few years. If you're not interested in the job or work hard to update your skills, it will come back to haunt you very quickly.
Reply 2
Do what you think you will enjoy, they are very different roles so you should be able to come up with a preference.

My 2 cents, there will be demand for both in the future. Career prospects/ exit opportunities are far greater in audit, especially for financial roles (exit to PE, Corporate finance, some people manage to get into IB), also getting the ACA qualification opens many doors. Don't underestimate the weight the big 4 name holds, lots of industry jobs ask for big 4 applicants specifically.

Why don't you talk to your UNI career advisor? they could probably get you in touch with recent graduates in both roles and you can get a better insight from them?

Personally, I would choose FS audit > risk consulting, but that comes down to my preference. Your career will be 40+ years so realistically the first 3 won't define the rest.
Reply 3
Original post by a.kh1
Hi I’m looking for some opinions on which grad scheme to pick. I am aware it’s a tough market, and I should be grateful to be given an offer.

However, from the below, which would you choose?

Technology risk consultant studying 3 certifications at a top ten firm, doing it risk and internal audits.
Technology is large and upcoming in the future so it will be a good place to get your foot in the ladder. Really good team, small team which is expanding and good one to one exposure with partners. I got a good impression from the company.

Audit at a big four firm, studying aca and becoming a chartered accountant. The culture at the big four has a stereotype, small fish in a big pond. However the firm is a lot larger, you get the status of working at a big four. Working within financial services audit. I particularly like this as I can become a chartered accountant but the start date is a lot later in the year.

Based upon the above and your own opinions and what you think the economy would be like and career prospects and exit opportunities, which role would you take? Would love to hear your opinions.

Hey,

Congrats on your two offers, you have some great options to choose from and done super well to get them.

I would say looking at both roles on paper the Audit role at Big 4 will be the better option as it opens more doors for you than the Technology risk consultant role. I say that because with the Technology risk role you are essentially going to be limited to working in risk/internal audit. You're right in thinking that technology is a great place to be working in because it will always change and evolve but my guess is this role is essentially audits of IT systems. I'm saying that based off someone I know someone who works in Technology risk at one of the Big 4 with a very similar job title. This just means, how in the Big 4 audit role, you will audit financial statements, the technology role is doing operational audits but just on I.T systems. (Apologies if you already know this but was just trying to put it in perspective).

Do some further research to double check on your role and responsibility. I would recommend to speak with people who might already be on the scheme or done the scheme on what their day to day looks like ? I'm sure you can reach out to them on LinkedIn and ask questions, what's the harm ?

My opinion is, I think in the long term, the Big 4 Audit scheme will open more doors. You can still go into internal audit/risk with your ACA. I used to work at a large FTSE company and pretty much the whole internal audit team were Chartered Accountants and the risk team had ACA's in there too. You might also be able to switch to other departments if you network well and build good rapport, like transaction service/ consulting at Big 4 etc....

All that being said, it is important to to find people that will invest time in you. The Technology risk role does sound like you will be recognised more and it will feel less corporate I suppose. I know from people who worked at Big 4 describe the culture as very corporate and political. Again that's probably not a place I would want to be, but people do think it can be a small sacrifice for a 3 years scheme that can look good on your CV and then set you up for lots of options in the future or alternatively there are many people who just don't want to be in that kind of environment, which is super fine too.

If you're still undecided, it's always best to go with your instinct and gut. Everyone can give different opinions on trying to explain something logically but your instincts can know what's best for you.

All the best.
Reply 4
What does the technology risk consultant role do? Is it an alternative name for it controls audit? What certifications do you get?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
What does the technology risk consultant role do? Is it an alternative name for it controls audit? What certifications do you get?

I think it will be checking the it systems of companies and finding any faults within them. And providing a report.
Also it may have something to do with cyber security etc, oracle etc and the cloud.

I’m wondering if it would be a good entry route out.

The qualifications are
Certified internal auditor
Certified informations systems auditor - cisa
And certified in informations systems risk control-crisc
Reply 6
Hi. I would go for the aca audit scheme in most circumstances. What was your undergrad degree in? We’re you generally applying for audit or for it related jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending