The Student Room Group

History for A-levels? - or should I take something else

I've decided I'm going to do Maths and biology for A-levels because I enjoy both and find them interesting. I also put history in my application but now I'm having doubts.

I love history, I took it for GCSE and I'm hoping to get an 8 however I know you have to enjoy the topics you're studying otherwise it can be really boring...especially for A-levels

The Topics I would be doing are Stuart Britain 1603-1702, America
1845- 1877 and Coursework on 11th century England (the teacher also said something about Ireland). These topics are relatively interesting to me but I'm not that excited about spending two years studying them.

Do you think I should continue with my option of History as I do still enjoy it or should I pick other options like Psychology (which I find very interesting but would take my options down the science route which I'm not completely sure about... I want to keep my options as open as possible) Or art (which I'm good at, I'm hoping to get a 9 and would hopefully get me good grades for A-level but I only really want to do art as a hobby, not have it as potential career)
Hi, year 12 here! As you can probably tell from my username, I may be a little biased in regards to the subject of history haha. I understand where you're coming from in that the two topic you study are quite niche, school (from my understanding) tend to go for topics which people widely know the basics of (for example, Tudor England). Honestly, at GCSE the topics initially didn't seem that interesting to me but when I studied them I absolutely adored them (American West ended up being my favourite actually). Likewise, at A-level, I find that I'm actually preferring Russian Revolution to Tudors and I always thought I preferred Tudors!! The niche topics can sometimes be the most interesting and you might end up loving them! If you really enjoy art, honestly go for it as you have two really strong A-level options already (maths and biology) which are liked by Universities, you should only go for history if you enjoy it (thus far in year 12 there's a significant amount of information but that goes for all A-levels I guess). Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer! :smile:
Original post by lyra moore
I've decided I'm going to do Maths and biology for A-levels because I enjoy both and find them interesting. I also put history in my application but now I'm having doubts.

I love history, I took it for GCSE and I'm hoping to get an 8 however I know you have to enjoy the topics you're studying otherwise it can be really boring...especially for A-levels

The Topics I would be doing are Stuart Britain 1603-1702, America
1845- 1877 and Coursework on 11th century England (the teacher also said something about Ireland). These topics are relatively interesting to me but I'm not that excited about spending two years studying them.

Do you think I should continue with my option of History as I do still enjoy it or should I pick other options like Psychology (which I find very interesting but would take my options down the science route which I'm not completely sure about... I want to keep my options as open as possible) Or art (which I'm good at, I'm hoping to get a 9 and would hopefully get me good grades for A-level but I only really want to do art as a hobby, not have it as potential career)

Im in yr 12 and i'm currently taking a level history and is doing the stuarts its interesting but there is a lot of content an it is very easy to fall behind also it's one of the hardest a level due to the fact that it is heavily essay based.Other than that history is very good and is favoured by a lot of top unis.

Quick Reply