The Student Room Group

i really don't understand the difference between style, theme and genre in drama?

is there any easy way to remember? they all seem the same to me :/
Heya, A-Level Drama student here:

I think I get what you mean.

Style- think practitioner e.g. Frantic Assembly.

Theme- Think about what the production is based around e.g Relationships, Feminsm or Bullying.

Genre- Like film genre- Horror, Comedy or Sci-Fi.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by TooRadToBeSad
Heya, A-Level Drama student here:

I think I get what you mean.

Style- think practitioner e.g. Frantic Assembly.

Theme- Think about what the production is based around e.g Relationships, Feminsm or Bullying.

Genre- Like film genre- Horror, Comedy or Sci-Fi.

I hope this helps :smile:

hey! this helps a lot thank you! however, i still don't understand style? could you say that stanislavski is a style?
i get the other two now :smile:
thank youuuu x
Stanisvlaski isn't a style but Naturalism which he influenced is. thinking back Frantic Assembly was probably a bad example :smile:
Stanisvlaski isn't a style but Naturalism which he influenced is. thinking back Frantic Assembly was probably a bad example :smile:

so what are other examples of style? sorry if i keep pestering you. i really want to get this right.
because you know hoe you said genres are like movie genres, is there a method for styles?
Original post by harlz_chalamet
so what are other examples of style? sorry if i keep pestering you. i really want to get this right.
because you know hoe you said genres are like movie genres, is there a method for styles?

It's not a problem at all. Usually, a style is what a practitioner will have had some influence over or there works will be based in that style such as Stanisvlaski and Naturalism, or The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night Time based on the style of Frantic Assembly.
It's not a problem at all. Usually, a style is what a practitioner will have had some influence over or there works will be based in that style such as Stanisvlaski and Naturalism, or The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night Time based on the style of Frantic Assembly.

OHHHH okay! so what would you use if the production is made up?
i am doing a play about the holocaust ?
would that be naturalism ? also thank you again :smile:
you're so much help !!

Quick Reply

Latest