The Student Room Group

Biology help please??

Hey everyone!!

So I didn’t do so great on a recent test and I really want to improve :/
I struggle with interpreting the question or applying knowledge (because of the specific Mark scheme) and I’m not sure how I can’t prevent that in the future. I study a lot for biology and try practise papers etc but for some reason my grades fluctuate so sometimes I get As and then Cs even though I use the same methods and cover all the topic.

If anyone has any useful advice then I would appreciate it a lot 😊
Thank you!
is this for a level or gcse?
Reply 2
Original post by nikki.maria
is this for a level or gcse?

A-level :smile: sorry I forgot to mention
Original post by EDeHavas
A-level :smile: sorry I forgot to mention

is it a problem at all with knowledge or just applying the information?
Reply 4
Original post by nikki.maria
is it a problem at all with knowledge or just applying the information?

Applying the information :frown:
Reply 5
Usually I’m fine with the content itself and only lose a few marks but I don’t think I’m able to apply knowledge well
Honestly, all you can do is practise past paper questions. Try to actually look at where you went wrong in the markscheme - did you take the answer in the wrong direction? Did you leave out some details?

I'd try redoing the same past paper questions a week or two later to see if you've actually improved.
Reply 7
When tackling the application questions just try to think about what part of the specification they are asking about and link it to the scenario . The only way you can improve is with practice and after time you realise that the application questions tend to be sort of similar
A huge part of biology A level is remembering key words for the mark scheme. So start by memorizing basic definition eg osmosis, diffusion, molecule structures etc. Use flash cards if ur struggling with that.
With application questions, you really need to think about what theyre actually asking because odds are its actually a simple question that you do know the answer to masked in an example. The best way is just to keep practicing exam papers
Reply 9
Original post by Theloniouss
Honestly, all you can do is practise past paper questions. Try to actually look at where you went wrong in the markscheme - did you take the answer in the wrong direction? Did you leave out some details?

I'd try redoing the same past paper questions a week or two later to see if you've actually improved.

Thank you!

Quick Reply