The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Is Sussex uni diverse??

I'm thinking about studying criminology at Sussex uni this year. I've heard that Sussex and Brighton are not very ethnically diverse areas, and I was just wondering how true this is. I am of Caribbean descent (Jamaican) and I've grown up in south London my entire life. It seems like a great university but I'm slightly nervous about fitting in as I'm SO used to the diversity of London its mad🤔 just interested in everyone's views on this topic
Original post by Chenxx
I'm thinking about studying criminology at Sussex uni this year. I've heard that Sussex and Brighton are not very ethnically diverse areas, and I was just wondering how true this is. I am of Caribbean descent (Jamaican) and I've grown up in south London my entire life. It seems like a great university but I'm slightly nervous about fitting in as I'm SO used to the diversity of London its mad🤔 just interested in everyone's views on this topic

Moved to the Sussex subforum :borat:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by tia.aro
I also applied this year and I have the exact same worry! but I'm from South London too and Afro-Caribbean so you won't be alone!

glad to know I'm not the only one! x
I currently study at Sussex and I’m Indian and personally
I think it’s so diverse, more than any other uni I ever visited! It’s in Brighton, which is known for being the place where “anything goes” so you’ll literally meet people from so many different backgrounds. Also there’s a ton of international students. I’m also from London and I find Brighton to be very similar in terms of friendliness and diversity, not once felt out of place. Obviously you do get people who aren’t fans of different ethnicities but then again that happens anywhere
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I currently study at Sussex and I’m Indian and personally
I think it’s so diverse, more than any other uni I ever visited! It’s in Brighton, which is known for being the place where “anything goes” so you’ll literally meet people from so many different backgrounds. Also there’s a ton of international students. I’m also from London and I find Brighton to be very similar in terms of friendliness and diversity, not once felt out of place. Obviously you do get people who aren’t fans of different ethnicities but then again that happens anywhere

thanks for sharing your experience! I've also heard its basically "London by the sea" lool
Original post by Chenxx
thanks for sharing your experience! I've also heard its basically "London by the sea" lool

That literally sums it up ahaha, I see no difference between Brighton and London if I’m honest apart from the fact London doesn’t have a beach
Reply 6
Heyyyy
I'm trying to go Sussex this year too and am very worried about the diversity as a brown girl :frown:
Original post by username3943936

Hello, thank you for your question.

Overall, Sussex University, and generally Brighton as a city can be said to be ethnically/ culturally diverse. Students from over 100 different countries study at Sussex, and students self-recognizing as belonging to BAME (Black, Asian and minority ethnic) cultural background make a significant proportion of overall student population. Here is a link to some recent statistical facts about the levels of ethnic diversity you can expect at Sussex, as well as some information about the degree results achieved by students of different ethnic backgrounds: Statistical Ethnic facts Sussex. Ethnic, cultural, and religious diversity is highly celebrated as Sussex, as is reflected by a high number of culturally-specific societies & events, and specific sources of support for ethnic minority & international students. Let me know if you would be interested in finding out more about the latter two points.

Lastly, for me Brighton is a lovely place to live. Easy access to beach, as well as plenty of green spaces on and off-campus, mean it is always easy to find a quiet place to relax! People are generally very friendly and indeed appreciative of different cultural backgrounds. Hence, I would not worry too much about fitting in: You will most certainly find people you can relate to!

Let me know if have any further questions. I would be more than happy to answer them. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
Original post by aji2019
Heyyyy
I'm trying to go Sussex this year too and am very worried about the diversity as a brown girl :frown:

Hello,

It is absolutely normal to feel a bit anxious about fitting in, especially when about to experience a major transition, such as starting a degree course in a new city. However, you are unlikely to experience any significant social and/or cultural alienation (see my post above for further details). Furthermore, there will always be many students, in a very similar situation as yourself, as well as, plenty of people you can ask for help, if you need to. This includes support from: Academics, Student Life Centre Advisors, Counselling Services, Peer Mentors, and numerous Clubs & Societies, including culturally- specific ones.

I hope this puts your mind at ease, at least slightly. Do let me know if you have any specific questions that I might be able to help you with. :smile:

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student MSci with a Year Abroad)
Reply 9
Thank you so much ! Also with regards to year abroad as I see that you’re doing it, how did you find the experience ?
Original post by aji2019
Thank you so much ! Also with regards to year abroad as I see that you’re doing it, how did you find the experience ?

Hello, you are most welcome!

With regard to my Year Abroad, I have definitely found the experience, both very educational, as well as, highly rewarding in terms of the socio-cultural experience.

Concerning the former, my studies in Canada involved a more continuous assessment methods (i.e., tests/essays being administered on more frequent, weekly basis), and required more of an active engagement in seminars (discussion classes), than I would typically encounter at Sussex. I believe, this change has benefited me in a number of ways, since it required me to adapt my learning style, and challenge myself to approach the course material in a novel way. Furthermore, given that I am a very independent learner, being encouraged to do more group work, has pushed me outside of my comfort zone. This again positively contributed towards my personal development. Thus, I would strongly recommend doing a Year Abroad for anyone whom wishes to experience a different academic system and become a more flexible learner, able to successfully learn and to cope with various assessment styles.

With reference to the latter, travelling to a new country and experiencing a different way of life, most certainly helped me to develop my awareness of different socio-cultural backgrounds, and my interpersonal skills. Equally, sound awareness of different socio-cultural backgrounds, and the appreciation for said diversity, are both highly attractive qualities to all potential future employers. A Study Year Abroad is for sure one way to go about achieving this!

I hope you find some of these details about my personal experience useful. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Wishes,
Kasia (4th Year Medical Neuroscience Student, MSci with a Year Abroad)
I really wanted to do a year abroad in Canada but sussex doesn’t offer it for my course sadly
Reply 12
Original post by aji2019
Heyyyy

Original post by username3943936

I’m a current student at Sussex and grew up near Brighton. It’s an incredibly diverse and very very liberal area. Also with the pandemic there are a lot of students in my department studying online abroad as they haven’t been able to travel to the uk yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending