The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Unsure about uni of Sheffield?

So I'll try to keep this brief as I tend to ramble. I have lived in Sheffield my entire life, might give away my college but oh well, I literally get off the bus at the medical school every day, and I can see it across the road from my science classrooms.

I have always been adamant that I would get away from Sheffield as soon as I could, especially since I'm wanting to apply for med, and as I said, I already see the med school 10 times a day every day, I want a change.

But recently I've been rethinking and maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I feel like I'm not giving it proper consideration, and everybody I know who goes to the uni I think they only tell me what they think I want to hear.

I am on here looking for genuine unfiltered opinions, from people at Sheffield on how they're enjoying it. Bonus points if you're from Sheff originally, bonus points if you're doing med in Sheff, ultimate bonus points, if you're from Sheff, and doing med in Sheff. Maybe a bit too niche of a category haha.

Thanks for any help
Reply 1
I'm either of those but if you are studying in Sheffield and live there then this would so much cheaper than living in halls saving money on that aspect. Also you know the city as well and you should anything you put your mind too. Even with commuting to med school you can still get involved in all sorts of events. I would definitely visit when you can to get a feel for the place and see if you see yourself there. I would try and talk to people that didn't go uni in Sheffield that you know and ask them why. Also compare Sheffield to other places too and see what modules and extras you like about the place like societies etc. Good luck with everything
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hiya!

I'm a current Sheffield student but I'm not from Sheffield nor am I studying medicine unfortunately, but you can find someone who does meet the criteria here: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/chat Salma and Molly are two of the UoS ambassadors who study medicine and they're both from Doncaster (which I guess it close enough to make for a similar case as yours). I hope this is helpful! :smile:

Andreea
3rd Year, Politics & Philosophy
Original post by LividOwl9
So I'll try to keep this brief as I tend to ramble. I have lived in Sheffield my entire life, might give away my college but oh well, I literally get off the bus at the medical school every day, and I can see it across the road from my science classrooms.

I have always been adamant that I would get away from Sheffield as soon as I could, especially since I'm wanting to apply for med, and as I said, I already see the med school 10 times a day every day, I want a change.

But recently I've been rethinking and maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I feel like I'm not giving it proper consideration, and everybody I know who goes to the uni I think they only tell me what they think I want to hear.

I am on here looking for genuine unfiltered opinions, from people at Sheffield on how they're enjoying it. Bonus points if you're from Sheff originally, bonus points if you're doing med in Sheff, ultimate bonus points, if you're from Sheff, and doing med in Sheff. Maybe a bit too niche of a category haha.

Thanks for any help

Hi @LividOwl9,

As a Sheffield Graduate who also went to school here, I thought I'd just jump in and help answer this question for you :smile:

When I was applying to university, I was also pretty insistent that I would move away to another city, and initially I wasn't particularly interested in staying. However, very much like you are saying, I decided to give it a proper consideration. I researched the course in more detail and went on an open day, and found that actually I quite liked the sound of it. From this, I put Sheffield as one of my 5 UCAS choices and then ended up placing Sheffield as my firm (1st) choice university after visiting again for an applicant day.

Looking back, I will say that being from Sheffield has had very little negative impact (if any) on my time here. I had the most amazing 4 years as a student, and found that living in Sheffield as a student (and young adult) is an entirely new perspective. I visited parts of Sheffield I'd never been to before and tried out brand new experiences. Being familiar to some extent with the city made settling in a lot easier, as I had a couple of friends and familiar faces still around campus - but it didn't stop me making new friends either! The Students' Union clubs and societies made it really easy to meet lots of people outside of my course and get involved with student life (plus it's a really cool building with lots of facilities!)

As @Kat.02 has already mentioned, you could live at home and commute in, and many of my friends who also stayed did exactly this. However, I personally still moved into the Ranmoor accommodation in my first year. This was partly because I wanted a shorter journey to lectures, but also partly because I wanted to try living away from home and developing those life skills. Based on the school you've mentioned you go to, I can imagine you already live quite close to both the uni and student accommodation, but it's something to consider!

Unfortunately I don't know loads about the medicine course as I studied Biosciences. As @University of Sheffield Students mentioned, you can talk to current medical students via the Chat to Us service. On here, you can also filter to find commuter students too to get their perspective on attending the uni in your local area.

I hope this gives you a taste of what I personally think. If you have any specific questions you want to ask me, feel free to reply to this post - more than happy to talk more :biggrin:

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics
(edited 3 years ago)
Sheffield is an amazing student city! I similarly lived in Sheff for a bit before going to uni there. From the sounds of it, even went to the same school as you. it's a completely different experience when youre a student there though, you see different corners of the city and see new sides to the old. Idk what else to say other than I loved it and dont regret going at all
i would recommend living in halls though, at least in first year to get to know people a bit easier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending