The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

What questions should you ask about a university?

I have just received a text and an email saying a student ambassador from Swansea is going to call me soon so i can ask questions and stuff. I didnt realise this was a thing. The course i applied for at Swansea is IR with German. I dont really know what questions to ask. Any ideas would be appreciated
Reply 1
Hi,

Honestly, the questions you ask student ambassadors or even admission team members are questions you personally want to benefit from before attending the University. For example, you may want to ask what kind of student support they can provide - during this pandemic, emphasis on student wellbeing and support has been highest. So you may want to ask what kind of services they provide for students regarding this. In the future, should you ever need these services you know what they can offer you.

Also, these student ambassadors are also students at the end of the day. It may be good for some student-to-student talk - you could potentially ask them how they find their classes or what kind of facilities are on campus that they enjoy using, giving you a better idea of what you could use when you finally attend. It's all down to you as the individual to ask any general or private questions regarding attending university. It may be that you are worried or a little bit anxious, so perhaps another student who has been through that initial anxiety can provide that form of solace for you.

I've written general-related things for you to get started on your own questions, feel free to use them or expand on them. But remember it's a good time to get to know what the University is like before moving in.
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Original post by Callomir
Hi,

Honestly, the questions you ask student ambassadors or even admission team members are questions you personally want to benefit from before attending the University. For example, you may want to ask what kind of student support they can provide - during this pandemic, emphasis on student wellbeing and support has been highest. So you may want to ask what kind of services they provide for students regarding this. In the future, should you ever need these services you know what they can offer you.

Also, these student ambassadors are also students at the end of the day. It may be good for some student-to-student talk - you could potentially ask them how they find their classes or what kind of facilities are on campus that they enjoy using, giving you a better idea of what you could use when you finally attend. It's all down to you as the individual to ask any general or private questions regarding attending university. It may be that you are worried or a little bit anxious, so perhaps another student who has been through that initial anxiety can provide that form of solace for you.

I've written general-related things for you to get started on your own questions, feel free to use them or expand on them. But remember it's a good time to get to know what the University is like before moving in.

Thank you this has really helped me think about what questions i want to ask.
Original post by something_orphic
Thank you this has really helped me think about what questions i want to ask.

Just be aware ambassadors are paid by universities and given stock replies to answers. They will always sell the university. Ask anything you would like to know. The questions will differ from person to person. It is unlikely you will get too much out of it except one university's ambassador might be better than another's.

Realistically what matters is where you prefer the course and environment and there are so many things that affect this such as
Size of place
How far from home
Is the university far from the city.
What kind of environment is it. For example Swansea is in a park opposite a beach.

You can ask how do you find your lecturers. What are the library facilities like. How good is the nightlife. What are your sports facilities like but everyone will try to sell those.

As I said previously hopefully some accommodation in Wales will open at Easter so you might be able to visit before making your decision. Swansea and Cardiff are only a hour apart by train so you might be able to see both with 1 overnight stay. You could also catch a train to Carmarthen there is then a bus to Aber. You could arrange a visit with the uni and department. At the moment Ceredigion the county where Aber is has a 7 day rate of 31.6 and is one of the lowest in the UK. Swansea is also quite low 56.7. Cardiff is the only area in South wales above the 100 with 106 but everywhere should be quite low in a month or 2
Original post by something_orphic
I have just received a text and an email saying a student ambassador from Swansea is going to call me soon so i can ask questions and stuff. I didnt realise this was a thing. The course i applied for at Swansea is IR with German. I dont really know what questions to ask. Any ideas would be appreciated

Hi @something_orphic I hope you are well!

Our Student Ambassadors get asked general things about what it's like studying at Swansea University, any particular facilities or societies can also be discussed, open days, grade concerns and other things.
I hope this helps :smile:

Admissions Enquiries Assistant - Sylvie

Quick Reply

Latest