The Student Room Group

How old were you when you first started uni?

Lately I've seen a few threads and comments in which some users are concerned about the age they start university, or they are planning to go but their age (for whatever reason) is stopping them from going.
Just want you guys to share what age you started and if you've felt uncomfortable, or the thought has now been a distant memory since you've started.

I was 18 when I started, but I dropped out because of personal reasons and the course just wasn't for me (I was studying Medicine). This year (or last year) I took a year out, and I'm now planning on to study Psychology at Kings. I may (or may not) change my mind, but let's see how it goes. I'm not concerned about the age thing because it's just a number - as cliché as that sounds.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingpin x
Lately I've seen a few threads and comments in which some users are concerned about the age they start university, or they are planning to go but their age (for whatever reason) is stopping them from going.
Just want you guys to share what age you started and if you've felt uncomfortable, or the thought has now been a distant memory since you've started.

I was 18 when I started, but I dropped out because of personal reasons and the course just wasn't for me (I was studying Medicine). This year (or last year) I took a year out, and I'm now planning on to study Psychology at Kings. I may (or may not) change my mind, but let's see how it goes. I'm not concerned about the age thing because it's just a number - as cliché as that sounds.

I’ll be 19 when I begin, my cousin will be too, but he’ll be 20 after a while. I know some other people who’ll be 21 on my course. Some even did an access course because they left school early due to mental health issues
Original post by Anonymous
I’ll be 19 when I begin, my cousin will be too, but he’ll be 20 after a while. I know some other people who’ll be 21 on my course. Some even did an access course because they left school early due to mental health issues

That's great, and thank you for the response! Did you by any chance take a year out?
19 I think I was
Reply 4
I was 18 when I first started. I was studying Economics at Sussex, life spiralled out of control and dropped out. Took a year off during which I worked nights at McDonald's and got diagnosed with ADHD. During the summer I decided I would give university another go now aged 20. My time at Sussex showed I'm incapable of looking after myself (for now at least) hence I applied through clearing to study Pharmacology at my local university. I'll be 24 when/if I finish my course. Kinda feels weird considering that I have friends who started uni at the same time I did and will be graduating in a few months.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
19 I think I was

Nice hearing from you.
I was 17 when I first started-I'm still a first year haha.
Did the age ever put you off? Or you weren't that bothered about it?
That's great, and thank you for the response! Did you by any chance take a year out?

Yes, but it was actually not a planned year out. I was all set to begin uni, but unfortunately in June my student finance got refused. I was devastated, I cried so much lol
I started at 15, I was bored at school, so I completed my a levels. I am now 18 and at cambridge, studying Physics.
Original post by Justaboutalive
I was 17 when I first started-I'm still a first year haha.

I thought it was 18 and over lol
Hi there,

The first time that I applied for university I was 19 and had slight worries I was not like everyone else who had started university straight out of sixth form / college but it wasn't my major concern. I ended up dropping out as I was dealing with some personal issues and wasn't attentive enough to the course I knew I would not have completed the studies to the best of my abilities. It was only a few years later when I decided to try university again, at the age of 21 and am coming up to the end of my studies now! Again, I felt that worry thinking I was not the normal age an individual would go to university but honestly, after a few months I never even thought about it. Age really is just a number and there is no such thing as 'too late'. I really believe you as an individual should go to university (if you so wish) when it feels right for you and not when society tells you! :smile:

Toni,
Student Ambassador
I thought it was 18 and over lol

I think it's different for different unis.
I just had to sign a form saying I needed to be accompanied by someone 18+ to go to restricted places on campus e.g. Bars etc. :h:
Nice hearing from you.

Likewise
Original post by Justaboutalive
I think it's different for different unis.
I just had to sign a form saying I needed to be accompanied by someone 18+ to go to restricted places on campus e.g. Bars etc. :h:

My mom moved in with me because I was too young but when I turned 18 she moved out!
Original post by Arthur_Morgan
Likewise

How are things?
My mom moved in with me because I was too young but when I turned 18 she moved out!

Oh yes, you were so young! That's very interesting:h:
undergrad 18
masters 22
PhD 23
How are things?

I'd be lying if I said things were easy but y'know, just gotta carry on regardless.

Hope things are well on your end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending