The Student Room Group

To all Y'all with gasroparesis or GERD.

Hi,
So basically to put it short. I'm vomiting blood. The doctors said it's normal. I think it's annoying and it hurts. I'm assuming it's because the acid in my stomach has nowhere to go and when I'm sick it burns my oesophagus. For context I have an NJ.

any tips ?
doctors said "if you want it to stop hurting, stop being sick" whilst what they're saying makes perfect sense. It doesn't seem to be possible and I'm kind of in a bit of pain.

any advice appreciated (except of you tell me to see a doctor because I already have and it was pointless) Thanks :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,
So basically to put it short. I'm vomiting blood. The doctors said it's normal. I think it's annoying and it hurts. I'm assuming it's because the acid in my stomach has nowhere to go and when I'm sick it burns my oesophagus. For context I have an NJ.

any tips ?
doctors said "if you want it to stop hurting, stop being sick" whilst what they're saying makes perfect sense. It doesn't seem to be possible and I'm kind of in a bit of pain.

any advice appreciated (except of you tell me to see a doctor because I already have and it was pointless) Thanks :smile:

unfortunatly, you've got this for life, so maybe some take some alkaloid analgesics, but they're hard to get
Post edited automatically
Have you considered getting a linx device?
Reply 4
Original post by Sabertooth
Have you considered getting a linx device?

Unfortunately I don't think they would fund it. I was hoping there was something I could do at home :frown:
Reply 5
Have you tried small things like elevating the head of your bed, changing your diet, eating food slower, etc? Obviously they doesnt cure anything, but at a point that you're coughing blood, anything tiny that you can do for yourself helps.
Are you on any sort of medication for it?
Reply 6
Original post by LovelyMrFox
Have you tried small things like elevating the head of your bed, changing your diet, eating food slower, etc? Obviously they doesnt cure anything, but at a point that you're coughing blood, anything tiny that you can do for yourself helps.
Are you on any sort of medication for it?

Lansoprazole and I've tried ranitidine, omeprazole and calcium carbonate. I generally sleep at 45 degrees which was an old habit from NG feeding. I might try temporarily putting the rate down. Although it goes straight into my intestines, it would make sense to slow it down if I want the stuff in my stomach to pass through
Reply 7
Hi,

any tips ?

Are you on Proton Pump Inhibitors? If not, you should be. They stop production of excess stomach acid. Have you had investigations to see whether you have a hiatus hernia? If you're vomiting blood, then there's damage to your oesophagus and your vocal folds are at risk. I'd ask to see a different GP.
Reply 8
Original post by Debs25
Are you on Proton Pump Inhibitors? If not, you should be. They stop production of excess stomach acid. Have you had investigations to see whether you have a hiatus hernia? If you're vomiting blood, then there's damage to your oesophagus and your vocal folds are at risk. I'd ask to see a different GP.

Okay. I didn't actually know that that was an option. I will definitely look into that and see If I can change a GP. Thank you all very much!! it's nice to see more options.
How much ranitidine did you actually consume ?
It has been banned by the FDA as it isn’t safe. If u have taken a lot of ranitidine please speak with your doctor.
How much ranitidine did you actually consume ?
It has been banned by the FDA as it isn’t safe. If u have taken a lot of ranitidine please speak with your doctor.

150 mg x 2 per day. Stopped due to guidelines (and the fact that the pharmacy would no longer dispense it )
Lansoprazole and I've tried ranitidine, omeprazole and calcium carbonate. I generally sleep at 45 degrees which was an old habit from NG feeding. I might try temporarily putting the rate down. Although it goes straight into my intestines, it would make sense to slow it down if I want the stuff in my stomach to pass through

Since you’ve pretty much tried everything a doctor would prescribe maybe you should try slippery elm bark capsules. They tend to help some people. Also consult with your doctor once more and if they are dismissive do not hesitate to file a complaint as this is not okay and your symptoms shouldn’t be overlooked.
It's definitely NOT normal to be vomiting up blood. What is causing you to vomit?
It's definitely NOT normal to be vomiting up blood. What is causing you to vomit?

The doctors said it is. They said it’s probably caused by trauma to the throat
Reply 14

How does the GP know it's from your throat and not your oesophagus if you've not had a scope down? I'd seek a second opinion.

What are you doing to cause trauma to your throat? I don't quite catch from your posts whether you are intentionally making yourself sick?
What are you doing to cause trauma to your throat? I don't quite catch from your posts whether you are intentionally making yourself sick?

Not intentional. Because I have nothing In my stomach when I get nauseas and eventually sick it is pretty much just acid. Apparently the acid causes trauma
Not intentional. Because I have nothing In my stomach when I get nauseas and eventually sick it is pretty much just acid. Apparently the acid causes trauma

That sounds pretty unpleasant. Are you on any medication to reduce the acid?
That sounds pretty unpleasant. Are you on any medication to reduce the acid?

lansoprazole

Quick Reply

Latest