The Student Room Group

Tips for losing weight?

Borris announced that we might get our summer this year, after 1 year of sitting in the house attending online lessons it's obvious that I need to lose some weight. I need some tips please or just any workout's I should try.

Scroll to see replies

Couch to 5k is helpful for running, or even just attempt to go for a walk and get outside. The biggest thing is your diet, burn more calories than you eat and you will begin to lose weight
Original post by avso
Borris announced that we might get our summer this year, after 1 year of sitting in the house attending online lessons it's obvious that I need to lose some weight. I need some tips please or just any workout's I should try.

What’s ur diet like?
Original post by avso

It’s just discipline. Make sure you have at least 1 hour of any type of exercise a day, (running, cycling or even walking). Eat the right foods, cut out sugary food, but have a cheat day (only within reason). But most of all, don’t expect to lose weight overnight, so keep being consistent then you will get results.
Reply 4
Original post by Iast resort
What’s ur diet like?

I eat pretty healthy, but we all have the occasional pizza every now and then. I don't drink fizzy drinks or eat sweets because it overwhelms me. But I find it hard to get out the house. I live in town so is there any home exercises you would recommend?
Reply 5
Original post by hannanj0
It’s just discipline. Make sure you have at least 1 hour of any type of exercise a day, (running, cycling or even walking). Eat the right foods, cut out sugary food, but have a cheat day (only within reason). But most of all, don’t expect to lose weight overnight, so keep being consistent then you will get results.

Yeah I don't eat sugary food because I'm just not a fan, but I don't have a lot of time- being a sixth form student I'm quite busy, is there any way to save time while working out?
Original post by avso
I eat pretty healthy, but we all have the occasional pizza every now and then. I don't drink fizzy drinks or eat sweets because it overwhelms me. But I find it hard to get out the house. I live in town so is there any home exercises you would recommend?

Oh sounds good then!
Maybe look up joe wicks workouts on youtube 😂
Reply 7
Original post by Iast resort
Oh sounds good then!
Maybe look up joe wicks workouts on youtube 😂

Thank you!
Original post by avso
Yeah I don't eat sugary food because I'm just not a fan, but I don't have a lot of time- being a sixth form student I'm quite busy, is there any way to save time while working out?

Really? Same here I am a sixth form student haha, but I mean, for me, I normally do my work early in the morning and then work out later in the day, which is the cycling machine indoors, unless I go for a run, which would be in the morning.

What A levels are you doing?
Reply 9
Really? Same here I am a sixth form student haha, but I mean, for me, I normally do my work early in the morning and then work out later in the day, which is the cycling machine indoors, unless I go for a run, which would be in the morning.

What A levels are you doing?

I do Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and maths. Maths is not fun.
I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and what astonished me is that it literally is as simple as eat less and move more. People make it so complicated with all of the next-level terminology, but you don't need any of that. I ate the same stuff, just smaller portions, and I exercised 30m a day. The latter not being that difficult to stick to at all. You'll see results, don't overcomplicate anything.
Original post by avso
I do Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and maths. Maths is not fun.

Damn good choice, I was doing Maths Physics Chemistry and Psychology but dropped Psychology🤣
Reply 12
Original post by Kabzzzy
I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and what astonished me is that it literally is as simple as eat less and move more. People make it so complicated with all of the next-level terminology, but you don't need any of that. I ate the same stuff, just smaller portions, and I exercised 30m a day. The latter not being that difficult to stick to at all. You'll see results, don't overcomplicate anything.

Thank you!
Original post by Kabzzzy

I agree, just think of it like this, calories burned>calories gained
Reply 14
Damn good choice, I was doing Maths Physics Chemistry and Psychology but dropped Psychology🤣

You should've kept psychology! It's way simpler than the other subjects. I took it as a relaxing subject so I don't have to stress about all my A levels.
Original post by avso
You should've kept psychology! It's way simpler than the other subjects. I took it as a relaxing subject so I don't have to stress about all my A levels.

Ahh I just couldn’t hack it, it was nothing like GCSE Psychology, I felt like there was way too much to remember and I’m not really good at remembering, I feel like I’m more of a calculating type? But it’s good you find it relaxing!
This is a short list of ideas
Buy a pet and go on daily walks etc
Join a open air running club
Find a local proper golf school
Enrol for some adult swim classes at your local leisure centre
Use a community gym often once lockdown is ended
Order a exercise DVD from Amazon
Borrow or purchase exercise books online
Try rock climbing or dancing
See if you can take up snow sports
Research adult beginner skiing lessons online
Join a established proper tennis school or academy for adults
Start going to adult novice dance classes
Get scales, MyFitnessPal.
Find a variety of exercises that increase your metabolic burn.
You dont need to lose your lockdown weight!!!! We survived freaking a pandemic! Dont let society tell you you need to be a skinny
Original post by Jessica03
You dont need to lose your lockdown weight!!!! We survived freaking a pandemic! Dont let society tell you you need to be a skinny

Well I’m upset bc I typed this in all capitals, it was a lot more dramatic 😕

Quick Reply

Latest