The Student Room Group

LFD COVID testing

Who else doesn’t wanna do Covid testing? Pls say I’m not the only one who’s scared
Why are you scared? It’s just a swab you roll about in your nose for 10 seconds and then dip it into a solution which is then analysed by a little test cartridge.
Worst thing that can happen is that you’ll start sneezing.
Original post by Anonymous
Who else doesn’t wanna do Covid testing? Pls say I’m not the only one who’s scared

Ur eyes might water a tad or u might sneeze and have an itchy nose for a couple of mins but seriously there’s nothing to be scared of :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Why are you scared? It’s just a swab you roll about in your nose for 10 seconds and then dip it into a solution which is then analysed by a little test cartridge.
Worst thing that can happen is that you’ll start sneezing.

I’ve got a really bad gag reflex tho and don’t want to be embarrassed. Also worried that I might test positive
Reply 4
Ur eyes might water a tad or u might sneeze and have an itchy nose for a couple of mins but seriously there’s nothing to be scared of :redface:

Doesn’t it go in your mouth too? Thanks for your reassurance tho
I’ve got a really bad gag reflex tho and don’t want to be embarrassed. Also worried that I might test positive

If you’re doing the LFD test, it’s a nose swab so your gag reflex won’t affect it.
The worry of testing positive is a genuine one, but as long as you follow the basic rules of mask wearing and hand washing, you’ll be fine. I study at a hospital and the majority of us test negative consistently because we follow the rules.
Reply 6
If you’re doing the LFD test, it’s a nose swab so your gag reflex won’t affect it.
The worry of testing positive is a genuine one, but as long as you follow the basic rules of mask wearing and hand washing, you’ll be fine. I study at a hospital and the majority of us test negative consistently because we follow the rules.

Oh maybe it’s not an lfd test then. It’s the one they’re doing in schools.

I was part of the random testing so I had to do the normal pcr test and swab my throat...
I also gag easily but honestly it’s not that bad u just have to put ur mind to it and feel conscious of what ur doing I guess so that u can stop urself from gagging... use a mirror and watch how ur muscles are moving...

I also though this was the case but my school says ours is lateral flow, but are also saying it has to go down the throat. It really doesn’t make much sense. :redface:
Reply 9
Original post by heldbygrace
I also though this was the case but my school says ours is lateral flow, but are also saying it has to go down the throat. It really doesn’t make much sense. :redface:

Yh my school says it’s lateral flow and going down the throat and nose. Kinda confused now

Hmm maybe there’s different types of LFD tests? :dontknow:
Yh my school says it’s lateral flow and going down the throat and nose. Kinda confused now

Ik! :confused:
Hmm maybe there’s different types of LFD tests? :dontknow:

It’s strange. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was just nose :frown:
It’s strange. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was just nose :frown:

It’s ironic that school children are being asked to take the more unpleasant test whilst patient-facing hospital staff/ students are doing the nose swab :confused:
It’s ironic that school children are being asked to take the more unpleasant test whilst patient-facing hospital staff/ students are doing the nose swab :confused:

I know right. Poor 5 year olds having to face that will be so hard, even 11 year olds come to that. They’ll be permanently scarred to let anyone near their throats or noses again.

To correctly perform a nasal swab (in almost all cases) it has to be inserted through the nostril and pushed through until it touches the back of your throat (nasopharynx). Most people just dangle it around in the nostril, which frequently leads to false-negative results. Many staff members are also told to avoid using the correct technique now because it can cause people to cough. Some tests are specifically made for anterior nasal use, and this will be obvious because the swabs are too short to reach the back of your throat. If the test says nasopharyngeal, it needs to be pushed all the way back, even though it's uncomfortable (tilt your head back to make it easier). Instructions here: https://els-jbs-prod-cdn.jbs.elsevierhealth.com/cms/attachment/857e348b-41bf-4208-8160-3f4cd056de9c/gr1.jpg

I know right. It’d be better if it was just nose. I think it would encourage more people to participate too.
Original post by meldamiriel
To correctly perform a nasal swab (in almost all cases) it has to be inserted through the nostril and pushed through until it touches the back of your throat (nasopharynx). Most people just dangle it around in the nostril, which frequently leads to false-negative results. Many staff members are also told to avoid using the correct technique now because it can cause people to cough. Some tests are specifically made for anterior nasal use, and this will be obvious because the swabs are too short to reach the back of your throat. If the test says nasopharyngeal, it needs to be pushed all the way back, even though it's uncomfortable (tilt your head back to make it easier). Instructions here: https://els-jbs-prod-cdn.jbs.elsevierhealth.com/cms/attachment/857e348b-41bf-4208-8160-3f4cd056de9c/gr1.jpg

wait you push it up your nose and down into your throat?!
Hey everyone

Thanks for all your help but I’ve decided not to do the testing. Thanks again for your input though I really appreciate it
wait you push it up your nose and down into your throat?!

The very back of your nose IS your throat. :smile:

They connect up together, hence the term nasopharynx (nose+throat). Just below that is the oropharynx (mouth+throat) and even lower is the laryngopharynx, which is basically the part of your throat where your vocal cords are. These parts of your throat are all part of the same thing, which begins at the back of your nose.

So when you swab, it goes through your nose and touches the back of your throat. You need to leave the swab there for a few moments and then rotate it several times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending