The Student Room Group

can you have type 2 diabetes at 20 if you're not overweight?

can you have type 2 diabetes at 20 if youre not overweight and are eating healthy. my bmi is on the low end of average weight. bc i feel like im showing signs of it like urinating, thirst and fatigue.
also my vision is kinda blurry.
idk maybe im just being paranoid.
Reply 1
Speak to your GP.
Original post by Anonymous
can you have type 2 diabetes at 20 if youre not overweight and are eating healthy. my bmi is on the low end of average weight. bc i feel like im showing signs of it like urinating, thirst and fatigue.

Bmi isn’t a good measure of health. You could be in the normal range and be able to bench 20 max. You could be considered overweight but be able to bench your body weight because you have muscle. Body fat percentage is a better measure.
Reply 3

These are also signs that you are not eating an adequate amount of calories and/or nutrients, what is your overall diet like?
It is unlikely to be type2 diabetes at your age but it could be type 1. If you can't pin down these symptons to your diet then you should see your doctor/gp as another poster said.
Reply 4

Yeah you’re showing a lot of the symptoms not likely at 20 but definitely more common then people imagine. Get a full blood test done ASAP. Because blurry vision is a big one my dads diabetic and he had a lot of your systems funny you say this as I just had a full blood test done recently mainly to check for any diabetes wasn’t showing symptoms just for peace of mind. Get it checked it’s always worth it
Hi, I'm type 1 diabetic and have been since the age of 3 so I'm sorta an expert haha. I would say being just overweight isn't enough to become diabetic at 20 being obese gives you a higher chance. Plus being 20 doesn't mean anything... when I was 17 I met a 15 year old who was type 2 diabetic (and severely obese). You may be overthinking it and like the above comment it could be type 1 with a late onset but it's best to go to the doctor ... or if you have any diabetic friends get them to check your blood sugar!!! If its around 5 and below you should be fine 🙂 (get them to change the lancet first though haha) Goodluck!!!
Reply 6

Yes, around 15% of people with type 2 can get it while being thin. It’s just your blood sugar, not weight. Talk to a gp or buy a test

Quick Reply

Latest