The Student Room Group

eating disorder

Can a person suffer from an eating disorder yet not have all the symptoms ?

Scroll to see replies

Potentially.
If you're concerned about your health, arrange to see your GP and they'll be able to diagnose and help to treat/manage your condition in the most appropriate way.
Reply 2
Yes, speak to your GP.
Yes
Yep- 'disordered' eating can cover a range of habits that would be considered abnormal whether that's severe restriction, a binge-purge cycle, obsession with only eating 'healthily' or avoiding certain foods, a mix of those behaviours or something else (known as EDNOS which doesn't fit one specific eating disorder category). You also don't have to be severely underweight to have an eating disorder, they can happen at any weight and some eating disorders don't necessarily result in weight loss (but do result in other damage such as the effects of repeated vomiting or malnourishment by limiting the range of food eaten)
:doctor:
Reply 6
Original post by dacb2f2dd4
Potentially.
If you're concerned about your health, arrange to see your GP and they'll be able to diagnose and help to treat/manage your condition in the most appropriate way.

thank you for your advice :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Pathway
Yes, speak to your GP.

Reply 8
Original post by Cherrygrape1234
:doctor:

thanks , will do
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Yep- 'disordered' eating can cover a range of habits that would be considered abnormal whether that's severe restriction, a binge-purge cycle, obsession with only eating 'healthily' or avoiding certain foods, a mix of those behaviours or something else (known as EDNOS which doesn't fit one specific eating disorder category). You also don't have to be severely underweight to have an eating disorder, they can happen at any weight and some eating disorders don't necessarily result in weight loss (but do result in other damage such as the effects of repeated vomiting or malnourishment by limiting the range of food eaten)

Thank you so much for the lovely explanation , i really appreciate it .
Stay safe :smile:

You're welcome.

Please don't get disheartened if they don't take you seriously, not all clinicians are good at dealing with EDs.

No problem at all - hope you find your GP is helpful and supportive :smile:
Original post by Pathway
You're welcome.

Please don't get disheartened if they don't take you seriously, not all clinicians are good at dealing with EDs.

Hopefully they will take things seriously , i know my case is not that sever but I don't want things to go out of control . I have been taking secured clinical online eating disorder tests and they all say that I have an eating disorder or I am at high risk .
Original post by dacb2f2dd4
No problem at all - hope you find your GP is helpful and supportive :smile:

I really hope they do :smile: I will contact them tomorrow and I'll see what they suggest .
Hopefully they will take things seriously , i know my case is not that sever but I don't want things to go out of control . I have been taking secured clinical online eating disorder tests and they all say that I have an eating disorder or I am at high risk .

I hope so too. Just as I said, IF they don't, don't be disheartened. I've seen a few friends get supported poorly due to under educated clinicians and same has happened to me.

Good luck.
Original post by Pathway
I hope so too. Just as I said, IF they don't, don't be disheartened. I've seen a few friends get supported poorly due to under educated clinicians and same has happened to me.

Good luck.

Thank you , I really appreciate it . How are you now ?
Thank you , I really appreciate it . How are you now ?

Not great, I'm still quite unwell, although I'm not at my worst. I have AN and have been disordered for about 20 years at this point. Some days are easier than others.
There isn't an effective way to treat eating disorders; as soon as you get diagnosed, your chance of death increases more than ten fold - so get your act together and eat properly before it gets too much to cope with. Seriously, it may seem abrupt but I think diagnosing the problem can make the ailment much worse in some cases.
There isn't an effective way to treat eating disorders; as soon as you get diagnosed, your chance of death increases more than ten fold - so get your act together and eat properly before it gets too much to cope with. Seriously, it may seem abrupt but I think diagnosing the problem can make the ailment much worse in some cases.

With all due respect , do you seriously think that if a person has an eating disorder should just eat . Do you think it's that easy ? if so then half of the world wouldn't be seeking serious help and no one will have the disorder . This is disrespectful of you to say " get your act together " Thanks for looking out for others but you saying that is completly disrespectful!!
Original post by Pathway
Not great, I'm still quite unwell, although I'm not at my worst. I have AN and have been disordered for about 20 years at this point. Some days are easier than others.

Oh really , I really wish you the best . Always remember that after pain comes gain . All this suffering will go away . Stay safe

Quick Reply

Latest