mochipochi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
this is very late into the academic year to be making decisions like this but i most likely will be taking a gap year to figure ymself and build up **** yada yada
i originally wanted to do art in uni until around these few months where my passion for art is fading and realistically i cant see stability in my future life with an art degree so i've decided to look at other options, one being marketing because it seems stable enough but also allows a little creativity so it's not completely boring. now i haven't got a clue what i need to know about marketing to decide if it's really for me, but i've looked at a few university guides on it and started one of google's online courses which comes with an online certificate. other than that absolutely clueless and i know i sound stupid and reckless but at this point i've made too many bad decisions to care. i take art, bio and psych for a levels (i'm in year 13) and i figured psych would come in handy but i should be able to apply with this combination for uni right?

TLDR; what should i expect from taking a marketing degree in uni and are there any other credible resources to learn about marketing ?

ALSO idk where to put this forum post in so pls tell me where it should be
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 4 months ago
:hi: i moved your thread to the relevant forum

i didn't study marketing at uni but i used to work in the industry as a copywriter. i think it's a lot of fun for someone who considers themselves creative. hope you get some good advice
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by mochipochi)
this is very late into the academic year to be making decisions like this but i most likely will be taking a gap year to figure ymself and build up **** yada yada
i originally wanted to do art in uni until around these few months where my passion for art is fading and realistically i cant see stability in my future life with an art degree so i've decided to look at other options, one being marketing because it seems stable enough but also allows a little creativity so it's not completely boring. now i haven't got a clue what i need to know about marketing to decide if it's really for me, but i've looked at a few university guides on it and started one of google's online courses which comes with an online certificate. other than that absolutely clueless and i know i sound stupid and reckless but at this point i've made too many bad decisions to care. i take art, bio and psych for a levels (i'm in year 13) and i figured psych would come in handy but i should be able to apply with this combination for uni right?

TLDR; what should i expect from taking a marketing degree in uni and are there any other credible resources to learn about marketing ?

I wouldn't put this thread in the debate section for sure. Perhaps Careers or University Life.

Other than a marketing degree, you could possibly look into CIM, which I consider to have diplomas as credible as marketing degrees (if not more). They will be significantly cheaper and you could probably complete them in a shorter time frame.
As you haven't done the degree, I would presume you'll be starting at Level 4, and some courses will charge £900 for it, if you shop around.

I don't know what particular books you should read to see if marketing is for you. To me, there are 2 schools of thoughts when it comes to marketing: the traditional means of marketing (which I think the university predominantly teaches), and online marketing (the more modern approach and changes so often that most courses are out of date within a few years). I belong in the latter school of thought, so it might be different. The practitioners tend to have varying takes on the subject, and one author can very much contradict the other.

If the people are recommending Google's Garage certification, it's really not much of one to look into. It gives you a very basic introduction to online marketing, but I wouldn't put it on my CV because of how basic it is.
If you want the free Google certifications, I would recommend studying up for AdWords and Analytics. Both qualifications have an expirey date once you passed them though.

For the academics, I would recommend reading up on Kotler, despite how much I disagree with his opinions.
For practitioning online marketing, I would recommend looking up Halbert's Letters (for copywriting), Ogilvy on Advertising (by Dan Ogilvy), Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature (by Mark Earls), The Ultimate Sales Letter (by Dan Kennedy). If you want to see how marketing fits in the big picture of a company, I recommend reading the Personal MBA by Josh Kauffman.

Other short courses that you could look into (when they're on sale) would be on Udemy.com.

Bear in mind, the university courses on marketing will very likely to be drier and more descriptive than the real thing. It's probably a better idea to talk to a practicing marketer to be sure.
Do also note that you don't need a degree in marketing to get into marketing. In fact, you don't actually need any qualifications at all. The marketer's main job is to get customers into the door, and if you're doing that, I think people will want to hire you.
Last edited by MindMax2000; 4 months ago
mochipochi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by MindMax2000)
I wouldn't put this thread in the debate section for sure. Perhaps Careers or University Life.

Other than a marketing degree, you could possibly look into CIM, which I consider to have diplomas as credible as marketing degrees (if not more). They will be significantly cheaper and you could probably complete them in a shorter time frame.
As you haven't done the degree, I would presume you'll be starting at Level 4, and some courses will charge £900 for it, if you shop around.

I don't know what particular books you should read to see if marketing is for you. To me, there are 2 schools of thoughts when it comes to marketing: the traditional means of marketing (which I think the university predominantly teaches), and online marketing (the more modern approach and changes so often that most courses are out of date within a few years). I belong in the latter school of thought, so it might be different. The practitioners tend to have varying takes on the subject, and one author can very much contradict the other.

If the people are recommending Google's Garage certification, it's really not much of one to look into. It gives you a very basic introduction to online marketing, but I wouldn't put it on my CV because of how basic it is.
If you want the free Google certifications, I would recommend studying up for AdWords and Analytics. Both qualifications have an expirey date once you passed them though.

For the academics, I would recommend reading up on Kotler, despite how much I disagree with his opinions.
For practitioning online marketing, I would recommend looking up Halbert's Letters (for copywriting), Ogilvy on Advertising (by Dan Ogilvy), Herd: How to Change Mass Behaviour by Harnessing Our True Nature (by Mark Earls), The Ultimate Sales Letter (by Dan Kennedy). If you want to see how marketing fits in the big picture of a company, I recommend reading the Personal MBA by Josh Kauffman.

Other short courses that you could look into (when they're on sale) would be on Udemy.com.

Bear in mind, the university courses on marketing will very likely to be drier and more descriptive than the real thing. It's probably a better idea to talk to a practicing marketer to be sure.
Do also note that you don't need a degree in marketing to get into marketing. In fact, you don't actually need any qualifications at all. The marketer's main job is to get customers into the door, and if you're doing that, I think people will want to hire you.
thank you so much for your help!! this is a lot more than i was expecting! i know this sounds bad but i’m still not sure what else i’d like to do instead of art so i chose marketing. the reason for me wanting to do it in uni is because my parents believe doing anything other than uni is a waste of time and i’m still struggling to get them on board with the gap year idea. do you think this is one of those degrees that unless you have a burning passion for it, it won’t work out well like art? i thought itd be a flexible degree with skills i could use in other areas of work so i chose it. i would’ve chosen business instead but its less creative
MindMax2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
thank you so much for your help!! this is a lot more than i was expecting! i know this sounds bad but i’m still not sure what else i’d like to do instead of art so i chose marketing. the reason for me wanting to do it in uni is because my parents believe doing anything other than uni is a waste of time and i’m still struggling to get them on board with the gap year idea. do you think this is one of those degrees that unless you have a burning passion for it, it won’t work out well like art? i thought itd be a flexible degree with skills i could use in other areas of work so i chose it. i would’ve chosen business instead but its less creative
As everyone is aware, a degree is not an easy investment to make. It's not like it's cheap to get, like it used to be. If your parents insist you should get a degree in anything, they need to make sure you know what you're paying for.

I think the easiest way to convince your parents is to find successful people in their field and ask them to give their take on it, which is what I recommend for most people.

I'm not entirely sure regarding the passion. Most entry level roles require you to have a burning passion for the job, even if it's boring and alone doesn't get you out of bed every morning. However, to succeed in it, I don't think you do. You will be facing a lot of people though, and audiences do feed off passion and energy though.

Marketing is one of those skills where you could easily use anywhere, irrespective of whether it's in a business environment or not. When used properly, you should never have to go hungry again. Having said that, it's also a competitive field.
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago

Hi! I'm Elena, a 2nd year Marketing student at Surrey.

In first year at Surrey, you'll study base modules in Business Management, including Marketing and Operations Management (everyone doing business do the same). In second year, you have some compulsory and some options. For example, some of the modules I've studied are marketing, international fashion marketing, consumer behaviour and entrepreneurship.

At Surrey, you are assessed both with assessments (group or individual), some are presentations, some are essays, and exams/tests. I really like this approach as it gives you a better chance to get better grades.

Surrey asks for BBB at A-Levels but no specific subjects, so don't worry about it. However I advise you to look at see the requirements and specifications for Marketing at Surrey here.

Hope that helped, if you have any questions please ask.
Elena.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (72)
22.86%
Excited but a bit nervous (142)
45.08%
Not bothered either way (37)
11.75%
I'm really nervous (64)
20.32%

Watched Threads