The Student Room Group

Official: A-level and GCSE 2021 exams replaced with teacher assessed grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Dezer.
I dont think teachers realise how hard it is to pay attention to them for 7 hours a day across a screen while our phones and other technological devices are right next to us....

So to answer your q I got barely anything done, even though I didnt get much HW, I really struggled to pay attention to lessons....

Im glad its not only me, I think everyones in the same boat really! Any advice ive got my a level mocks in 2 weeks, and I feel like im comparing myself and imagining people have done loads of work during this break, when Ive been struggling to concentrate
Original post by wevegota2319
Im glad its not only me, I think everyones in the same boat really! Any advice ive got my a level mocks in 2 weeks, and I feel like im comparing myself and imagining people have done loads of work during this break, when Ive been struggling to concentrate

I have mine in 2 weeks as well yikess, Well what I am doing is splitting it up into 5 days each, 5 days of maths, 5 days of physics, 5 days of chemistry....I am basically cramming really hard but this is the best I can do....just go online school, then take 2-3 hr break and switch off then revise for the rest of the day, thats what I am doing anyways...I amalmost half done with physics now which I am proud of, considering I find it the hardest. Just make sure you do questions as you go along, I do end of topic questions on physics and maths tutor. Hope this helps. Just remember after these mocks you can relax a little...and also take confort in knowing that I dont think they will reduce your grades that you have now, they are giving you this opportunity to improve on them....I dont know what grades you have now so I cant say if thats good or not.
Reply 2542
Original post by Evil Homer
Looking for news on the re-opening of schools? Find it here

Hi everyone,

It has now been officially announced that due to the new school closures exams will not go ahead as planned in 2021. These exams will be replaced with teacher assessed grades. Teachers will be supported to make sure that the grades given are consistent and fair.

The reason this decision has been made is that it is now believed that students will have simply missed far too much face to face teaching time for traditional examinations to be an equal and fair measure of students abilities.
TSR will continue to update as we find out more. If there is anything TSR can do right now to support you, please reach out and ask and we will do our best.

Private Candidates 2021 Support Thread

If you are struggling, we have put some mental health resources below for you:

TSR Covid-19 Mental Health Hub

Struggling with exams being cancelled? Read some advice here.

MIND - Mental health charity for all ages with help and advice
Young Minds - Mental health support for under 18 year olds
Student Minds - Mental health support for University students
BTEC student support (DM's)

Edit: DFE states that vocational exams will continue in January. This includes all BTECS.

Edit 2: DFE states that colleges can decide whether to run vocational January exams (including BTECs)

Edit 3: It has now been confirmed that exams have been replaced with Teacher Assessed Grades for GCSE, AS and A-level exams. Teachers will be trained and supported to make sure these grades are consistent and fair for everyone.

Will my AS level grade determine my predicted grades :')
Original post by .Dezer.
I have mine in 2 weeks as well yikess, Well what I am doing is splitting it up into 5 days each, 5 days of maths, 5 days of physics, 5 days of chemistry....I am basically cramming really hard but this is the best I can do....just go online school, then take 2-3 hr break and switch off then revise for the rest of the day, thats what I am doing anyways...I amalmost half done with physics now which I am proud of, considering I find it the hardest. Just make sure you do questions as you go along, I do end of topic questions on physics and maths tutor. Hope this helps. Just remember after these mocks you can relax a little...and also take confort in knowing that I dont think they will reduce your grades that you have now, they are giving you this opportunity to improve on them....I dont know what grades you have now so I cant say if thats good or not.

Thats true! Also a very great method of studying! What grades are you aiming for! Im aiming for AAA! That was really motivational too by the way!
Original post by wevegota2319
Thats true! Also a very great method of studying! What grades are you aiming for! Im aiming for AAA! That was really motivational too by the way!

I want an AAA but by the looks of it I will be lucky to get ABB
gcseconfusion.co.uk is great
Maybe try a topic or two per day? (I’m not sure how big your topics are in bio, chem etc. but it works in maths as the topics are quite small), either randomly selecting then or doing the ones you struggle most with first (e.g. if you had an AS paper tomorrow, what would you revise first)
Gavin Williamson, UK Education Secretary, live 8.35am today on Good Morning Britain, ITV Channel.
Original post by Bullseye180
Gavin Williamson, UK Education Secretary, live 8.35am today on Good Morning Britain, ITV Channel.

I hope someone's live tweeting because I can't remember my login details :biggrin:
I am probably only going to have enough time to complete it once, and if I have any spare time I am using it all on past papers because practicing q is the best thing you can do once you know the content.

Nothing was discussed re GSCE & A levels. Just about children returning to school and if it is safe now to do so in England.
Nothing was discussed re GSCE & A levels. Just about children returning to school and if it is safe now to do so in England.

There was only one question regarding gcses and a levels about mini exams.And he said that the government is absolutely adamant that no exams,mini or full,will occur this academic year
Original post by ektasmar
There was only one question regarding gcses and a levels about mini exams.And he said that the government is absolutely adamant that no exams,mini or full,will occur this academic year

There are no mini exams anymore?
Original post by 5hyl33n
There are no mini exams anymore?

Probs,I listened to the entire interview and he seemed to have made a u-turn as normally expected
Probs,I listened to the entire interview and he seemed to have made a u-turn as normally expected

I wouldn’t trust anything yet. Be prepared for mini-exams until they officially say they will not be going ahead.
Probably be a ‘leak’ this evening which will cause the Twitter militia to go crazy lol. things that come out the day before tend to prove accurate but who knows

Don't do that...don't give me hope:s-smilie:
There has been a bit of talk on this thread that mini-exams will be cancelled. At this point, it is only speculation and there is no concrete evidence for this.
Carry on revising as normal. Hopefully, we will get some answers soon!

Sending hugs. We are nearly done with Year 13. :grouphugs:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mass-testing-for-secondary-pupils-as-all-schools-and-colleges-fully-reopenfrom8-march
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by 5hyl33n
I wouldn’t trust anything yet. Be prepared for mini-exams until they officially say they will not be going ahead.

I wouldn't trust any other source but the Education Secretary is the absolute tsar of the plan.So I could expect similiar words in his official announcement tomorrow.But I have not stopped working and will not do so even though he rules that past evidence is better than present evidence,which he might do,idk with this man.
This just a load of waffle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending