The Student Room Group

Student Maintenance Loan

Hi, I'm kinda confused about how much student finance ill receive, I used the calculator and it said I should be entitled to around £9000, I'm an only child to a single parent who only makes about 8k a year, is this an accurate amount to expect? I just applied to accommodation yesterday that all overall come to around £133 a week in rent, I'm just worried that it'll turn out wrong and ill suddenly not be able to afford this , Thanks :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Sounds about right :smile: usually higher of you live in London
Reply 2
Which university? Any cheaper options for accomodation?

The amount you've noted sounds right. One thing to watch out for is that if your parent has a partner living at the same address their income is also taken into the calculation despite the fact that they are not related to you.
Original post by ajj2000
Which university? Any cheaper options for accomodation?

The amount you've noted sounds right. One thing to watch out for is that if your parent has a partner living at the same address their income is also taken into the calculation despite the fact that they are not related to you.

Its just me and my mother :smile: I'm going to Cardiff as I have firmed their unconditional offer, the range for accommodation for self-catered was around £113 to £133 (a week) for nicer places, I also work myself but only as a Saturday job which makes me around £60 a week
Original post by Stephb1502
Sounds about right :smile: usually higher of you live in London

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by StrawberryHands
Its just me and my mother :smile: I'm going to Cardiff as I have firmed their unconditional offer, the range for accommodation for self-catered was around £113 to £133 (a week) for nicer places, I also work myself but only as a Saturday job which makes me around £60 a week

Hey, fantastic! Cardiff is a wonderful city - and generally cost of living is pretty decent. Have you looked into the Cardiff bursary? I think that should give you an additional £1000 in your first year which is pretty nice to have.

How many weeks a year is the rent for? Term time only, 9 months or 12 months? Anyway, with an extra £60 a week from a job you'll be fine.
Original post by ajj2000
Hey, fantastic! Cardiff is a wonderful city - and generally cost of living is pretty decent. Have you looked into the Cardiff bursary? I think that should give you an additional £1000 in your first year which is pretty nice to have.

How many weeks a year is the rent for? Term time only, 9 months or 12 months? Anyway, with an extra £60 a week from a job you'll be fine.

Thank you :smile: Its 40 weeks for the year so 9 months and I haven't looked into the bursaries because it honestly didn't even cross my mind aha, id have to check if I was eligible, but thank you for replying to my question I was getting a bit worried whether i would be able to afford my rent lol :smile:

Thank you for the link aha! it looks like i should hopefully be eligible, thanks for all your help :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by StrawberryHands
Hi, I'm kinda confused about how much student finance ill receive, I used the calculator and it said I should be entitled to around £9000, I'm an only child to a single parent who only makes about 8k a year, is this an accurate amount to expect? I just applied to accommodation yesterday that all overall come to around £133 a week in rent, I'm just worried that it'll turn out wrong and ill suddenly not be able to afford this , Thanks :smile:

Hi i am to apply for student loan for Cardiff but can u tell me what happens during the processor so I can just know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending