The Student Room Group

If you take English or History A-Level, reply

Hi, I’m considering taking English or History as an A-Level.

If anyone takes it can you let me know if you enjoy it and how heavy the workload is? Or anything else someone should know before they take it?

Thank you!!
Hi! I take history A-level, and it was my second choice as I was unable to do politics (timetable clash). As a result, I went into the A-level with such a negative mindset, but now I absolutely love it. There is a lot of content, and we get essays for homework most weeks, but I really enjoy it. I find essay writing comes quite naturally me, so I don't find it too difficult. Of course it depends on your teacher, class size, and which topics you do. Which topics are in your school's history A-level?
Reply 2
Original post by anaturner
Hi! I take history A-level, and it was my second choice as I was unable to do politics (timetable clash). As a result, I went into the A-level with such a negative mindset, but now I absolutely love it. There is a lot of content, and we get essays for homework most weeks, but I really enjoy it. I find essay writing comes quite naturally me, so I don't find it too difficult. Of course it depends on your teacher, class size, and which topics you do. Which topics are in your school's history A-level?

The Tudors, The American Dream 1945-80 and a depth study?/coursework over a 100 year period of Russia from 1855-1955 :smile:
Original post by enmc
The Tudors, The American Dream 1945-80 and a depth study?/coursework over a 100 year period of Russia from 1855-1955 :smile:

Ooo interesting mix from a range of time periods - at my school we can either do modern or early modern, and then all the topics are focussed on that. I'm doing the Tudors and quite like it - I also think the American Dream sounds really interesting!!
Reply 4
Original post by enmc

Cool! I'm currently at the end of my A levels, having just done those two topics. Not the coursework (NEA) though, for that I did China in the 20th C. I can't really say much about your future possible workload, as it probably differs from school to school. However, where I currently study, I've been getting an essay every week. It usually see-saws between the American Dream and the Tudors. The essays are the equivalent version of the weekly tests for the science subjects. I guess it depends what course you're going to do, as both myself and @enmc are doing the AQA A level course. It probably differs a bit depending on who your exam board is. If you are going to be doing AQA A level History, just prepare yourself for lots of extra reading around the subject, and the necessity to use your time wisely when you do your NEA.
Original post by anaturner

I do history and politics lol
I was summoned?
Original post by enmc
Hi, I’m considering taking English or History as an A-Level.

If anyone takes it can you let me know if you enjoy it and how heavy the workload is? Or anything else someone should know before they take it?

Thank you!!

I do Politics, English Language and History; I am enjoying Politics and History the most. But Eng Lang is interesting sometime, it just depends what we're learning about

Quick Reply

Latest