The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Online MSC Psychology conversion at Coventry

Hello,

I am applying for distant learning MSc psychology conversion courses and have received offers from Coventry, Northumbria, Glasgow and Leeds Beckett (still waiting on MMU).

Initially I accepted Northumbria because I'd rather start in April this year, however a tonne of current students have spoken up about how poorly run the course is, stating they get no teaching and it's just a bunch of power point slides with the odd seminar. Considering the fees, this is a piss take.

Coventry also early this year in May so I'm thinking of switching but would love to know what those doing the course thinking of it. Do you get support? Are there regular lectures/Seminars? Or, like Northumbria are you pretty much left with a bunch of reading and you just basically do it yourself?

Cheers
Hey there,

We're in the same boat. Initially, I picked Northumbria but after joining a Facebook group of their students I scrapped the idea. I've heard nothing but bad about their course. So to get the picture, I joined Derby's group and students seems to be very satisfied with that program. I have no info on Coventry.

Really hard decision...
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
I think we were on the same thread re: Northumbria! Derby do a module in forensic psychology and after messaging with a couple of students there who have enjoyed it (one at the end of the course/one at the start) I'm going to go with Derby. Derby, like Coventry started the online course in 2012 or something so are much more experienced than Northumbria in providing a distant learning course.
Original post by missgilou
Hello,

I am applying for distant learning MSc psychology conversion courses and have received offers from Coventry, Northumbria, Glasgow and Leeds Beckett (still waiting on MMU).

Initially I accepted Northumbria because I'd rather start in April this year, however a tonne of current students have spoken up about how poorly run the course is, stating they get no teaching and it's just a bunch of power point slides with the odd seminar. Considering the fees, this is a piss take.

Coventry also early this year in May so I'm thinking of switching but would love to know what those doing the course thinking of it. Do you get support? Are there regular lectures/Seminars? Or, like Northumbria are you pretty much left with a bunch of reading and you just basically do it yourself?

Cheers

@missgilou

Hello! I am currently doing an MSc in Psychology and have the unique position of having gone to two of those Universities mentioned.

When you are doing an MSc in Psychology it is important to look very closely at the course requirements, I studied at Leeds Beckett and have enormous affection for them and couldn't praise them enough - however, the course requirements involved a 6 week or so stretch on campus in a lab, which as someone based in Manchester was impossible. I also studied at MMU, and if you are on campus you would be based in the Geoffrey Manton Building which is lovely.

Have you considered doing the course through Arden University like I am doing? There is a blended learning option in Manchester, Birmingham, and London, or you can do the entire course online side stepping the need for lab work. I've been really impressed with the online platform for learning (the Beckett one was very out of date at the time). Why not check out the course details - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/postgraduate/masters/msc-psychology-bps You might also be interested in the very positive review from the QAA (who are a bit like Ofsted)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
I think we were on the same thread re: Northumbria! Derby do a module in forensic psychology and after messaging with a couple of students there who have enjoyed it (one at the end of the course/one at the start) I'm going to go with Derby. Derby, like Coventry started the online course in 2012 or something so are much more experienced than Northumbria in providing a distant learning course.

See you there, future classmate. :wink:
Original post by Arden University
@missgilou

Hello! I am currently doing an MSc in Psychology and have the unique position of having gone to two of those Universities mentioned.

When you are doing an MSc in Psychology it is important to look very closely at the course requirements, I studied at Leeds Beckett and have enormous affection for them and couldn't praise them enough - however, the course requirements involved a 6 week or so stretch on campus in a lab, which as someone based in Manchester was impossible. I also studied at MMU, and if you are on campus you would be based in the Geoffrey Manton Building which is lovely.

Have you considered doing the course through Arden University like I am doing? There is a blended learning option in Manchester, Birmingham, and London, or you can do the entire course online side stepping the need for lab work. I've been really impressed with the online platform for learning (the Beckett one was very out of date at the time). Why not check out the course details - https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/postgraduate/masters/msc-psychology-bps You might also be interested in the very positive review from the QAA (who are a bit like Ofsted)

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Hi Marc,

Arden is a little too expensive. I do like the platform, and I would definitely consider it if it were cheaper. But £10.550 meanwhile other programs cost £7000-8000. Is there any discount/promotion?
Hello,

Cheers

Hi missgilou,

Its great to see you are considering Coventry University. Whilst I'm not an MSc Psychology student, as an undergrad HLS student I can say that Coventry have been fantastic for me whilst studying online and haven't left us feeling like we are on our own. They have provided us plenty of ways of getting support which they have really emphasised to us this year.

If you would like to know more about the course specifics, I know a fellow student ambassador studying MSc Psychology and I can put you in touch if you would like.

I hope this helps,

Amy
Coventry University - Coventry
Biomedical Science student

Quick Reply

Latest