The Student Room Group

lockdown

i want everyone to exspress their opinion on being in lockdown onestly, i wont question it, i just want to know how many peoeple are pro lockdown and anti lockdown. Just to tell you i am anti lockdown, i have my own reasons.
Reply 1
Original post by g-shock16
i want everyone to exspress their opinion on being in lockdown onestly, i wont question it, i just want to know how many peoeple are pro lockdown and anti lockdown. Just to tell you i am anti lockdown, i have my own reasons.

Lockdown is the worst thing in life in my opinion as it makes me unmotivated to do my work
Reply 2
Original post by Amin7
Lockdown is the worst thing in life in my opinion as it makes me unmotivated to do my work

totally agree with its effecting us in many different ways.
Lockdown was necessary so I’m pro-lockdown.
Nonetheless I can’t wait to get out of lockdown bc it definitely restricts what I can do (eg sport)

Make a poll :colone:
Fortunate enough to be working from home, which means I get to spend more time with the missus and the little one, and don’t have to deal with the long commute every day.

Defo pro lockdown, it should’ve been implemented sooner and better than it was.
Reply 6
why should have it been implmented earlier, why didint we just take the sweeden approach.
why should have it been implmented earlier, why didint we just take the sweeden approach.

In case a mutation means people can get it twice
Bc we didn’t know how sever it was at the time

Multiple reasons but I think the two main ones are above
I’m anti-lockdown. There are a lot of studies now to suggest that lockdowns don’t work and may even cause more covid deaths in the long run, while there’s zero evidence that they work.

Lockdowns do an obscene amount of harm in terms of deaths from untreated/undiagnosed illnesses, suicide, mental health issues etc. Many children will be absolutely scarred beyond repair mentally from this and future job prospects will have been impaired for a lot of children due to the way education has been handled. Poverty is one of the biggest killers in the world (if not the biggest) and many people will die in the future due to the effects of poverty, worldwide and in the UK.

The catastrophic effects of lockdown CANNOT be underestimated and we can’t know what the full implications are yet.
Reply 9
totally agree with you there they dont bloody work
Original post by Anonymous
I’m anti-lockdown. There are a lot of studies now to suggest that lockdowns don’t work and may even cause more covid deaths in the long run, while there’s zero evidence that they work.

Lockdowns do an obscene amount of harm in terms of deaths from untreated/undiagnosed illnesses, suicide, mental health issues etc. Many children will be absolutely scarred beyond repair mentally from this and future job prospects will have been impaired for a lot of children due to the way education has been handled. Poverty is one of the biggest killers in the world (if not the biggest) and many people will die in the future due to the effects of poverty, worldwide and in the UK.

The catastrophic effects of lockdown CANNOT be underestimated and we can’t know what the full implications are yet.

Yes there’s a ton of consequences (as u mentioned above) which are very serious.

I believe lockdown was the only option last March when we didn’t know much abt covid (we didn’t have much data, people don’t trust China... we didn’t know how severe it was!)

But extreme as an example, but what if it was super deadly with few symptoms before multiple organ failure (I’m making this up so not a great example, but hopefully this demonstrates the point...)

What else could we have done?

I love the lockdown.

Spoiler

I personally don't really think it's fair to even call it a lockdown. I was at home in the UAE at the start of COVID before having to come back to school in England and in Abu Dhabi we did a real lockdown. Only 1 person per household allowed out twice a week and only for medicine and/or food, masks mandatory everywhere, national curfew every night for police to go door-to-door testing and drones to complete a national sanitisation program, schools closed, easy mass testing, border closures (domestic and international) etc. There was none of this stuff the UK has about support bubbles, outdoor exercise (let alone with other households), no masks, invisible disabilities, keeping schools open, travel corridors, etc. I would love to get back to normal, but we're not going to be able to do that sustainably here in the UK until we do things seriously. We need to get cases down and keep them down through proper restrictions. Would much rather we took that hard & fast approach and just got it over and done with than kept coming in and out of so-called "lockdowns".

The only other alternative I see is to reach herd immunity through vaccination, and I'm doubtful of that being successful in the UK given how many crazies there are who think they're being injected with Microsoft 365 or a copy of U2's new album. Even if everyone's offered one, I'm a bit sceptical that enough people will actually accept for it to be useful, then COVID will just mutate and lower vaccine efficacy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
Fortunate enough to be working from home, which means I get to spend more time with the missus and the little one, and don’t have to deal with the long commute every day.

Defo pro lockdown, it should’ve been implemented sooner and better than it was.

Other people have had their lives completely ruined in different ways, but that’s fine because you get to spend more time with the missus? That’s great.
Reply 14
Other people have had their lives completely ruined in different ways, but that’s fine because you get to spend more time with the missus? That’s great.

you like the missus, who i she?

It didn't work. They now have the highest death rate per capita in Scandinavia.
The government recently passed legislation to introduce restrictions.

I don't like lockdown, and it would have been better if we were strict from February to about May 2020, but you have to do things you don't like during a crisis.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Vapordave
It didn't work. They now have the highest death rate per capita in Scandinavia.
The government recently passed legislation to introduce restrictions.

I don't like lockdown, but you have to do things you don't like during a crisis.

true

Many children will be absolutely scarred beyond repair mentally from this and future job prospects will have been impaired for a lot of children due to the way education has been handled.

There is direct evidence that the recent lockdown has caused a dramatic decrease in cases, considering we were on 40k a day before.

I think you're underestimating how children have handled the pandemic. Also, even at the most critical points (Year 11 here), there has been an impact on children's education, but not so severe that they are career limiting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending