The Student Room Group

Midwifery rejections - what do I do next?

I applied to five unis for midwifery: was rejected from John Moores, Keele and Salford straight away and managed to get an interview with UCLan and Edge Hill but got rejected from them as well. As you can probably imagine, I’m absolutely heartbroken and really feel so unmotivated at the moment. I just would like some advice on what will happen next - am I guaranteed to get some sort of course through clearing? Is UCAS Extra worth a try? Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did they do? Obviously I’m upset that I probably won’t be studying midwifery but the worst thing about it for me is the idea that when it gets to September I won’t be doing anything as I wouldn’t have got onto a course while all my friends are going to university, so really just looking for some advice on what the next steps would be for me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, definitely try UCAS extra and clearing! If midwifery is your dream, go for it.
I'd also highly recommend getting feedback from the universities as there must be something you can improve on with your personal statement and interview technique which will, eventually, get you onto the course.
It took me 3 attempts to get into my nursing course and I had things to improve on each time until I eventually got in, and if I can do it, so can you.
Please also remember that, while there are a lot of student nurses and student midwives who start straight out of school/6thform/college, loads are also a little older. If you don't get in this year, some work as a midwifery support worker would be great for your CV and re-application to uni for midwifery!
@Tracey_W, @Allyson2020, do you have any other advice?
Original post by Emily_B
Yes, definitely try UCAS extra and clearing! If midwifery is your dream, go for it.
I'd also highly recommend getting feedback from the universities as there must be something you can improve on with your personal statement and interview technique which will, eventually, get you onto the course.
It took me 3 attempts to get into my nursing course and I had things to improve on each time until I eventually got in, and if I can do it, so can you.
Please also remember that, while there are a lot of student nurses and student midwives who start straight out of school/6thform/college, loads are also a little older. If you don't get in this year, some work as a midwifery support worker would be great for your CV and re-application to uni for midwifery!

Original post by pennyroberts1
I applied to five unis for midwifery: was rejected from John Moores, Keele and Salford straight away and managed to get an interview with UCLan and Edge Hill but got rejected from them as well. As you can probably imagine, I’m absolutely heartbroken and really feel so unmotivated at the moment. I just would like some advice on what will happen next - am I guaranteed to get some sort of course through clearing? Is UCAS Extra worth a try? Has anyone else had a similar experience and what did they do? Obviously I’m upset that I probably won’t be studying midwifery but the worst thing about it for me is the idea that when it gets to September I won’t be doing anything as I wouldn’t have got onto a course while all my friends are going to university, so really just looking for some advice on what the next steps would be for me.

@pennyroberts1

@Emily_B

@Tracey_W

Hi
Go through UCAS as first option and see where it gets you ok. You could ask about a place perhaps on adult nursing to start this September and if you get in with this go and do it and then once you qualify think about seeking to do the shortened 18 months midwifing top-up course if and only if its still available to do at your local hospital trust, saying this even if it not you can still work on maternity wards as a nurse but unable to do any deliveries.

I am just wondering if john Moore, Keele & Salford universities thought you didn't meet there entry requirements or your whole process including personal statement wasn't satisfactory enough to get anywhere.

Although you got interviews for the other two says that they were okay with your application and given you opportunity with a interview which you still got rejected.

As Emily mentioned ask for feedback ok from the universities and tweak your personal statement and if you can think of ways to improve your interview techniques will defo help you.

One thing I would say ok is never ever give up your dream of wanting to be a midwife as you maybe need to go down the adult nursing route and then eventually get onto the midwifing course at later date, if you young enough and time on your hands then that's a option to consider.

I got rejected with 3 universities and offered from one for adult nursing when I first applied as I been qualified for over 10 years as a nurse and also I recently did the shortened top-up course for midwifing.
I went straight from school at 17 into nursing and lots of people about my age didn't get far with it as dropped out and rest went onto being nurses.
Age don't matter when you become a nurse as long as you are competent enough in doing the job as that's the main thing.
We are currently over the last numbers of years seeing loads of older people switching careers and coming into the health profession as nurses .
I think Emily said it took her few attempts to get offered a place and she wouldn't be alone either as I gaunantee everyone who had applied for any nursing course did get rejected but didn't give up on there dream of coming a nurse.

You can try and apply to your local hospital for a MCA ( maternity care assistant) or even an auxiliary nurse working on maternity wards and you will gain vital experience to take into your application for academic year 2022 if you can't get in this upcoming academic year.

If we can help further don't hesitate in contacting any of us either here or by PM messaging us as we are here to try and help anybody needing advice x

Original post by Emily_B

I think you's basically covered things here with it except if the person wish to PM message me as I can help best I can with any questions as I'm probably in better place to try and answer her midwifing questions with being about 18 months approx qualified as a midwife although I'm not saying a nurse with over 10 years experience has no knowledge.

Don't get me started on rejections of places as I lost count how many times I been rejected for adult nursing over the years but eventually got opportunity for to do midwifing. And remember that midwifing is probably one of the most competertive course to get into within the nursing sector so obviously places will be at a premium to and some people unfortunately must be rejected.

Rejection is part of life untill eventually you get offered a place at university, I think she shouldn't give up trying as try all options available including as allysom2020 said with adult nursing route perhaps !!!

Maternity care assistant & other jobs within a maternity unit would be good experience and also for CV.

Hi @pennyroberts1, we are really sorry to hear this and the effect it has had on you.
Have you spoken to anyone at UCLan regarding alternative course options as we may be able to help or advise you on your situation.
All the best, Catherine

Hi @pennyroberts1,

I'm sorry to hear how upset you are, its clearly a sign of how dedicated you already are to Midwifery. Have you contacted any of the universities you applied to for feedback? If you want to PM me with your full name, DOB and UCAS ID I can ask our Admissions to take a look at your application.

I think the most important thing is for you to take your time deciding what you want to do next - are you currently at sixth form/college as perhaps it would be worth booking an appointment with your Careers Team? There's some really great suggestions already on this thread about where you can go from here with regards to pathways into Midwifery - but I think first you need to look into why you were rejected in the first place; perhaps you didn't sell yourself to the best of your ability in your PS, or you didn't fully answer your interview questions. If this is the case, then its something you could definitely work on with a view to reapplying to Midwifery next year - rather than obtaining an alternative course in UCAS Extra this year. Don't feel like you have to go to uni this year just because your friends are, unless you find a new course which you think you could be 100% committed to.

Best wishes,

Alison
University of Salford
Original post by University of Salford
Hi @pennyroberts1,

I'm sorry to hear how upset you are, its clearly a sign of how dedicated you already are to Midwifery. Have you contacted any of the universities you applied to for feedback? If you want to PM me with your full name, DOB and UCAS ID I can ask our Admissions to take a look at your application.

I think the most important thing is for you to take your time deciding what you want to do next - are you currently at sixth form/college as perhaps it would be worth booking an appointment with your Careers Team? There's some really great suggestions already on this thread about where you can go from here with regards to pathways into Midwifery - but I think first you need to look into why you were rejected in the first place; perhaps you didn't sell yourself to the best of your ability in your PS, or you didn't fully answer your interview questions. If this is the case, then its something you could definitely work on with a view to reapplying to Midwifery next year - rather than obtaining an alternative course in UCAS Extra this year. Don't feel like you have to go to uni this year just because your friends are, unless you find a new course which you think you could be 100% committed to.

Best wishes,

Alison
University of Salford

Can I add to your comment, what you said is absolutely right way to deal with this as feedback can help her why she been rejected and the help & assistance from you's will be helpful to take this forward.

They shouldn't give up what they want to do in life as can just reapply and use experience from this to take into next time she apply for courses, we try our best to offer help and advice on what to do and let the person decide which route is best.
As said she only in 6th form / college so still young and time to get into her chosen career path.

If she wants to PM any of us she welcome to as again we'll try to help her like.
Hopefully she will get in touch with you's first.
Original post by Tracey_W
Can I add to your comment, what you said is absolutely right way to deal with this as feedback can help her why she been rejected and the help & assistance from you's will be helpful to take this forward.

They shouldn't give up what they want to do in life as can just reapply and use experience from this to take into next time she apply for courses, we try our best to offer help and advice on what to do and let the person decide which route is best.
As said she only in 6th form / college so still young and time to get into her chosen career path.

I completely agree @Tracey_W, the OP is so lucky that she already has subject/career pathway in mind (I wish I'd had that kind of focus at 17/18!) and its important not to give up on that. All the advice here on different routes and potential for where she could get experience is great - especially the message that its your passion not your age that matters! :smile:
I completely agree @Tracey_W, the OP is so lucky that she already has subject/career pathway in mind (I wish I'd had that kind of focus at 17/18!) and its important not to give up on that. All the advice here on different routes and potential for where she could get experience is great - especially the message that its your passion not your age that matters! :smile:

Thanks 😃
Yes most of us hadn't had same opportunities as what the younger ones nowadays got like you said about you wishing you had this at 17/18.
I know what's it like to feel rejected from university as I was at 17,18,19,20 for adult nursing at 8 different universities and it took me few years to apply again but samething got rejected for adult nursing ( only applied to local ones ) but luckily I got opportunity in getting offered midwifing which I took as that was my aim one day after I did adult nursing but it saved me going back to university for almost 18 months,

She been given as good as what information that we can offer to her.
It is more a passion than age for nursing as like someone said age don't matter as long as you competent enough ( I see you mention this ) .

She do have a plan in place which is fab and if she sticks to this then she'll eventually succeed like but must put in the effect as well 😃
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi @pennyroberts1, we are really sorry to hear this and the effect it has had on you.
Have you spoken to anyone at UCLan regarding alternative course options as we may be able to help or advise you on your situation.
All the best, Catherine

Hi! When UCLan rejected me they made it quite clear that they didn’t want to engage in any further correspondence but I will definitely consider other options. I don’t think I’ll be using UCAS Extra and may just wait for clearing options (if there are any) :smile:
Hi @pennyroberts1,

Best wishes,

Alison
University of Salford

Hi! I got rejected from Salford without an interview on the basis that my personal statement didn’t go into enough depth on the role of the midwife. I’m not really too keen on using UCAS Extra because I don’t think I’d be able to handle the same cycle of rejection so I’m just going to wait for clearing. Obviously, if I don’t find anything I fancy in clearing then I’ll definitely wait another year to improve my personal statement and interview skills and try again. Thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by Tracey_W
Thanks 😃
Yes most of us hadn't had same opportunities as what the younger ones nowadays got like you said about you wishing you had this at 17/18.
I know what's it like to feel rejected from university as I was at 17,18,19,20 for adult nursing at 8 different universities and it took me few years to apply again but samething got rejected for adult nursing ( only applied to local ones ) but luckily I got opportunity in getting offered midwifing which I took as that was my aim one day after I did adult nursing but it saved me going back to university for almost 18 months,

She been given as good as what information that we can offer to her.
It is more a passion than age for nursing as like someone said age don't matter as long as you competent enough ( I see you mention this ) .

She do have a plan in place which is fab and if she sticks to this then she'll eventually succeed like but must put in the effect as well 😃

Hi! Really sorry for the late reply but I really appreciate all the advice people are giving me and am definitely taking it onboard. Although it might sound a bit weird, it’s definitely comforting to know that I’m not the only person who has experienced rejection and have to keep reminding myself of that :smile:
Original post by Emily_B

Hi! Sorry for the late reply but thank you for the advice! After lots of thought I don’t think I’m too keen on going through UCAS Extra and will wait until clearing to see if there is any courses that I like that could potentially lead into midwifery later on :smile:
Original post by Allyson2020
@pennyroberts1

@Emily_B

@Tracey_W

Hi
Go through UCAS as first option and see where it gets you ok. You could ask about a place perhaps on adult nursing to start this September and if you get in with this go and do it and then once you qualify think about seeking to do the shortened 18 months midwifing top-up course if and only if its still available to do at your local hospital trust, saying this even if it not you can still work on maternity wards as a nurse but unable to do any deliveries.

I am just wondering if john Moore, Keele & Salford universities thought you didn't meet there entry requirements or your whole process including personal statement wasn't satisfactory enough to get anywhere.

Although you got interviews for the other two says that they were okay with your application and given you opportunity with a interview which you still got rejected.

As Emily mentioned ask for feedback ok from the universities and tweak your personal statement and if you can think of ways to improve your interview techniques will defo help you.

One thing I would say ok is never ever give up your dream of wanting to be a midwife as you maybe need to go down the adult nursing route and then eventually get onto the midwifing course at later date, if you young enough and time on your hands then that's a option to consider.

I got rejected with 3 universities and offered from one for adult nursing when I first applied as I been qualified for over 10 years as a nurse and also I recently did the shortened top-up course for midwifing.
I went straight from school at 17 into nursing and lots of people about my age didn't get far with it as dropped out and rest went onto being nurses.
Age don't matter when you become a nurse as long as you are competent enough in doing the job as that's the main thing.
We are currently over the last numbers of years seeing loads of older people switching careers and coming into the health profession as nurses .
I think Emily said it took her few attempts to get offered a place and she wouldn't be alone either as I gaunantee everyone who had applied for any nursing course did get rejected but didn't give up on there dream of coming a nurse.

You can try and apply to your local hospital for a MCA ( maternity care assistant) or even an auxiliary nurse working on maternity wards and you will gain vital experience to take into your application for academic year 2022 if you can't get in this upcoming academic year.

If we can help further don't hesitate in contacting any of us either here or by PM messaging us as we are here to try and help anybody needing advice x

Hi! Sorry for the late reply but thank you for the advice! I’m not going to apply for UCAS Extra this year but am definitely considering adult nursing if it is available in clearing. I got sufficient advice from all the universities I am applying to and am definitely taking it onboard if I end up having to apply again next year :smile:
Hey hun! One thing I'd recommend is do not sell yourself short. Wait for the Clearing cycle, and who knows, you might find a different course which might interest you more compared to Midwifery. Use these next couple of months to do some research and see where it goes. The beauty of Clearing is that you won't be rejected - that's for sure. There are so many good courses out there, they won't be similar to Midwifery but always keep your options open!

A close friend of mine wanted to do Mental Health Nursing, but four of the universities rejected her, she got an interview for the fifth one but they did not accept her application. She waited for the Clearing cycle, and she is now in her third year studying Psychology! She has had no regrets since then. One of the reasons as to why they didn't accept her MH application was because she didn't have her Math's GCSE, but the university she applied for in Clearing accepted her because of her reference, personal statement and other good grades!
Hi! Really sorry for the late reply but I really appreciate all the advice people are giving me and am definitely taking it onboard. Although it might sound a bit weird, it’s definitely comforting to know that I’m not the only person who has experienced rejection and have to keep reminding myself of that :smile:

Hi Penny x

No problems on replying late ok,
That what we are here for to try and help people like you with things xx
As qualified nursing staff our advice is invaluable so take it on board what we all said ok
You not alone hunni in being rejected as thousands will be each year, its part of life but as we said don't give up okay as wait to see how you get on with clearance and decide from there .
Plus remember we are all here if you need to ask us questions on nursing or midwifing ok, just drop a PM to us.
Let us know how you get on with things xx
Hi! Sorry for the late reply but thank you for the advice! I’m not going to apply for UCAS Extra this year but am definitely considering adult nursing if it is available in clearing. I got sufficient advice from all the universities I am applying to and am definitely taking it onboard if I end up having to apply again next year :smile:

Hello Penny x

Its not a problem in getting a reply back late as I been absolutely busy at work since I posted my message to you on things x
Go through the best option you happy with in doing ok.
I would personal consider adult nursing if you can't get into midwifing as you can eventually hopefully go on and do midwifing as you still very young so you have lots of time ahead of yourself.
Good to hear you got plenty advice from all the universities on nursing courses and hopefully what you been given has really helped you with your decision to x

Exactly if you can't get in this coming year then try again with it as you'll have more information to go with and also what we said as well to you.

I'm happy to try and help you on adult nursing and I try with midwifing to ok if you wish to drop me a PM message okay .
Reading on what you said on clearance see what happens first of all and let's me know how you get on with it if that's ok.
Original post by kingpin x
Hey hun! One thing I'd recommend is do not sell yourself short. Wait for the Clearing cycle, and who knows, you might find a different course which might interest you more compared to Midwifery. Use these next couple of months to do some research and see where it goes. The beauty of Clearing is that you won't be rejected - that's for sure. There are so many good courses out there, they won't be similar to Midwifery but always keep your options open!

A close friend of mine wanted to do Mental Health Nursing, but four of the universities rejected her, she got an interview for the fifth one but they did not accept her application. She waited for the Clearing cycle, and she is now in her third year studying Psychology! She has had no regrets since then. One of the reasons as to why they didn't accept her MH application was because she didn't have her Math's GCSE, but the university she applied for in Clearing accepted her because of her reference, personal statement and other good grades!

That’s really hopeful! Thank you:smile:
Hi! I got rejected from Salford without an interview on the basis that my personal statement didn’t go into enough depth on the role of the midwife. I’m not really too keen on using UCAS Extra because I don’t think I’d be able to handle the same cycle of rejection so I’m just going to wait for clearing. Obviously, if I don’t find anything I fancy in clearing then I’ll definitely wait another year to improve my personal statement and interview skills and try again. Thank you for the advice :smile:

Hi @pennyroberts1,

Why don't you start looking at UCAS Extra to see what courses are available - this will give you an idea of what alternative pathways might be open to you. Although you can't change your personal statement, you can contact the universities to explain why you're applying for a different course and they might ask you to send a revised statement directly. I think its highly unlikely that any Health-related courses are going to be in Clearing this year, so the sooner you start looking at alternatives, the better for you with your decision making.

Don't let yourself be put off by the fear of rejection, perhaps try to look at Extra as an opportunity for you to see if your heart is really in studying an alternative course and to help you build your resilience. As hard as it is right now, unfortunately being rejected is a part of life so its important to be able to channel that disappointment into something positive. You could think of Extra as your own personal test...

What I mean by that is, once you've found a new course that you might like to do - apply for it; what do you have to lose? Then consider, if they accept you - are you actually happy at the prospect of studying this programme, or is it more 'relief' that you've been accepted somewhere? If they reject you - are you upset at being rejected, or are you more upset at not being able to do the new course? I think your reaction either way will help you to work out whether, deep down, you do want to take a different pathway or stick to your original plan of Midwifery. Extra is there so that students don't have to wait until Clearing to change direction (and possibly make a rushed/the wrong decision), from everything you've said on this thread I think its really important that you do as much research as possible into any potential new pathway, to make sure its right for you.

Good luck!

Alison
University of Salford
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 19

Say f this s I’m out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending