The Student Room Group

Spanish

Probably a stupid question, but if I wanted to say 'I hope that it will be fun', would it be 'espero que sea divertido' or 'espero que fuere divertido'. Or something else altogether; we haven't learnt it yet but I would like to include it in a piece of writing. Thank you!
Reply 1
The one that says divertido
you would use ‘sea’ because it is the subjunctive x
Use sea as a subjunctive
Original post by Rebeccamaurier
you would use ‘sea’ because it is the subjunctive x

Original post by tinygirl96
Use sea as a subjunctive

Thank you!! :smile:
np
Original post by mandyelicup
Thank you!! :smile:

The phrase espero que is a subjunctive trigger, so anything after it should be in the present subjunctive. One thing to note, however, is that if it's the same subject (I hope I can or I hope I play etc), then you simply say espero poder or espero jugar etc. Since here you're saying I hope it will be fun (first subject is I and second is it) then it would be espero que sea divertido.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
The phrase espero que is a subjunctive trigger, so anything after it should be in the present subjunctive. One thing to note, however, is that if it's the same subject (I hope I can or I hope I play etc), then you simply say espero poder or espero jugar etc. Since here you're saying I hope it will be fun (first subject is I and second is it) then it would be espero que sea divertido.

Thanks so much, this is really useful!
Hola Mandy,

Espero que sea divertido is the one when you express a wish for the future.

Esperaba que fuera divertido (pero no lo fue) : I was hoping it was fun (but it wasn't) when you use ESPERAR, DESEAR, PREFERIR, NECESITAR in the past. Therefore, it triggers the need for imperfect subjunctive.

Don't use fuere. It's a very old form that isn't used in Spanish any more . You only see it in "old" literature or in sayings such as: donde fueres haz lo que vieres (when in Rome, do what Romans do)

My name is Delia from Spanish no panic. I post lots of exclusive contents for A-level students on my Youtube, Instagram and FB accounts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending