The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge MPhil Real Estate Finance 2021-2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamFifa2
Congratulations. Do you know how long it takes between the GAO and a formal offer. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been in the GOA phase.

It's my understanding that it should be around a week between the two events. As of today - same as you!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by AdamFifa2
Congratulations. Do you know how long it takes between the GAO and a formal offer. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been in the GOA phase.

Current Cambs REF student here... When I applied last year, it was roughly 2 weeks between GAO and formal offer. Don't worry though, GAO literally means an offer will be made - congratulations!
Original post by zenzizenzizenzic
Also awaiting approval by the Central Graduate Admissions Office. High First from top business school in Europe. Internship experience from IB, Big4, CRE Advisor, RE Dev and MF REPE (no particular order).

Congratulations! When did you apply?
Quick question- did anyone/everyone submit a research proposal?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by CAMLSE20

I didn't
Reply 25

I did submit but not sure if that actually increases your chances of getting in.
Reply 26
Original post by skkzy16
I did submit but not sure if that actually increases your chances of getting in.

Yea most people I spoke that had done the degree hadn't done one

I may be the anomaly, but I did submit a research proposal. It was limited and didn't go in depth but it did explain why I chose this particular area and its importance, what I intend to achieve from the study and discussed the implication this study would have in preparing me for a fruitful future career. Hope that helps.
will the offer be sent out at only one time or they will be sent out gradually?
Original post by harryharryh
will the offer be sent out at only one time or they will be sent out gradually?

I think they are sending out gradually based on the forum last year
Has anyone heard anything back recently?
Reply 31
Haven't heard back anything! But I only applied last week on 17 Feb, so the status is still "Submitted", not even department review yet. I did submit a research proposal though!
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by waccib
Haven't heard back anything! But I only applied last week on 17 Feb, so the status is still "Submitted", not even department review yet. I did submit a research proposal though!

My application has just changed to "under review by department" today (3 Mar 2021), so I guess as expected they were pooling applications till the deadline yesterday. Probably those who have been on that status earlier would receive some updates in due course! All the best to everybody!! (:

Putting the dates and updates here just for future year's applicants who may need a gauge as to the timeline of this thread.
Original post by waccib
My application has just changed to "under review by department" today (3 Mar 2021), so I guess as expected they were pooling applications till the deadline yesterday. Probably those who have been on that status earlier would receive some updates in due course! All the best to everybody!! (:

Putting the dates and updates here just for future year's applicants who may need a gauge as to the timeline of this thread.

I am also in the 'under review by department' stage. However, I applied in late November. What is your background?
Reply 34
Original post by Physics realm
I am also in the 'under review by department' stage. However, I applied in late November. What is your background?

Hi @Physics realm, hopefully you hear something good soon!

I come from a non-conventional background and would say it isn't particularly strong compared to the rest studying RE/Fin now or with RE/Fin work experience. Currently studying Politics and Sociology at a top RG uni with a good 1st in my second year. Zero IB, PE, AM/IM, RE (JLL, Savills, CBRE, CW, KF, etc.) intern/work experience at all.

But have done an internship with a non-UK government agency under a team focusing on industrial land development to research and propose strategies. So that's the real estate side of things because had to look at urban development and built environment (development control, regulation, tender documents, building technologies, etc.), and a lot of random things, government/RE papers by Colliers/ARUP consulting briefs for brownfield sites in HK, etc. I say all this but really not yet an expert and definitely finance/modelling knowledge has to be worked on, hence this course which is perfect!
(edited 3 years ago)
Has anyone reached out or heard anything from the Department itself on the status of applications?
Reply 36
Applied a week ago, under department review. Top tier school in Hong Kong, but GPA severely dragged by freshman year, cumulative equivalent to lower second. Previous internship experience at MBB and real estate division at world leading retail conglomerate, very skeptical mainly due to low GPA :/
Reply 37
Original post by anoncam000
Has anyone reached out or heard anything from the Department itself on the status of applications?

I actually emailed the Dept a few days after applying in mid-Feb, they said it can take up to 8 weeks. But I suppose most here have been waiting for ages, so it's not a particularly helpful answer. That said, it looks like they're targeting mid-April as a gauge? Don't take my word for it though :s-smilie:
Original post by anoncam000

I still have not heard anything. I applied in very late November, they say maximum it should take is 12 weeks, which has passed. So I am unsure what this means
Reply 39
Hi everyone, I’m Kate from China. Received the “move to GAO” email on 1st March and I’m still waiting for the final result. Super nervous 😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending