The Student Room Group

help with as maths vectors question

OABC is a quadrilateral. Relative to point O, points A, B and C have position vectors
a b c , respectively.
(a) Show that the midpoint of AB has position vector
1/2 (a+b)
(b) Prove that the midpoints of sides OA, AB, BC and CO form the corners of a parallelogram.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What have you worked out so far
Reply 2
Original post by user342
What have you worked out so far

I’ve done part a I just need help with part b.
Reply 3
Is part a supposed to be 1/2(-a+b) instead of 1/2(a+b)?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by user342
Is part a supposed to be 1/2(-a+b) instead of 1/2(a+b)?

no i think it was as originally stated.
Reply 5
Original post by gabriela4
I’ve done part a I just need help with part b.

I would work out equations for the lines connecting the midpoints and then show that they're multiples of each other, and so they're parallel. Hope that helps
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
no i think it was as originally stated.

26075009-A74D-40D7-9E9D-59191ED12345.jpegHm, maybe I drew the wrong diagram or something?
Original post by user342
26075009-A74D-40D7-9E9D-59191ED12345.jpegHm, maybe I drew the wrong diagram or something?

no that is fine. now mark in the midpoint of AB (call it M) and connect it to O. then think about the vector OM
Reply 8
no that is fine. now mark in the midpoint of AB (call it M) and connect it to O. then think about the vector OM

Ah i was thinking of it as half of the vector A to B (which is wrong). Thanks :smile:
Reply 9

ohh right but for some reason it doesn’t sit right with me that it’s positive, it just doesn’t make sense.
ohh right but for some reason it doesn’t sit right with me that it’s positive, it just doesn’t make sense.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/81715532/suck-it-up-buttercup.jpg
1/2(a+b) is the average of A and B position vectors. So it gives the midpoint.

However, prefer Bears explanation :-).
Reply 12

lool but i didn't even get that answer though, which is why i was asking because i kept on getting -a so i just gave up and decided to put positive a.
Reply 13
Original post by mqb2766
1/2(a+b) is the average of A and B position vectors. So it gives the midpoint.

However, prefer Bears explanation :-).

what does average position vector mean???
what does average position vector mean???

If you had two numbers x and y, the average would be (x + y) / 2.
If you have two vectors a and b, the average is (a + b) / 2.
Reply 15
Original post by DFranklin
If you had two numbers x and y, the average would be (x + y) / 2.
If you have two vectors a and b, the average is (a + b) / 2.

ohhhh tysm :smile: we didn't get taught a load of all this vectors stuff
ohhhh tysm :smile: we didn't get taught a load of all this vectors stuff

In a sense you were half right as
OM = 0A + AM
= OA + AB/2
= a + (b-a)/2
= (a+b)/2

You get the difference (b-a) when forming AB, but that is relative to point A. To make it relative to O you add a, and the midpoint M can be thought of as the average of a and b.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by mqb2766
In a sense you were half right as
OM = 0A + AM
= OA + AB/2
= a + (b-a)/2
= (a+b)/2

You get the difference (b-a) when forming AB, but that is relative to point A. To make it relative to O you add a, and the midpoint M can be thought of as the average of a and b.

thank you!!
Reply 18
Original post by user342
I would work out equations for the lines connecting the midpoints and then show that they're multiples of each other, and so they're parallel. Hope that helps

i've tried to do that but idk it doesn't look right, i mean they all have 1/2 infront so i guess that's something (probably not though lol) but there are different letters, like sometimes a sometimes a+b sometimes c (if you know what i mean) so idk what to do, as that doesn't prove anything
i've tried to do that but idk it doesn't look right, i mean they all have 1/2 infront so i guess that's something (probably not though lol) but there are different letters, like sometimes a sometimes a+b sometimes c (if you know what i mean) so idk what to do, as that doesn't prove anything

If you do it correctly it will be obvious that you have a parallelogram. But if you're not going to post any kind of working there's not a lot anyone can do...

Quick Reply

Latest