The Student Room Group

how plausible is it for me to still achieve a 2:1 at uni?

hi student room. so i'm a third year IR student and my uni's grading system is second year making up 40% of my overall classification and third year 60%. in second year i achieved a 2:1 (64.25%) but due to the pandemic, which i know isn't an excuse, and also my part-time job alongside some pre-existing mental health issues, i've been struggling to maintain a 2:1.

i'm doing 8 modules this year, all 15 credits, and i've gotten back 3 of them. one at 64%, one at 52% and one at 57%. my university has a no detriment policy which will calculate your overall classification as follows (depending on which one you do better on ):
1. the regular second and third year way.
2. using only 90 credits of your best third year modules.

but due to my continuous 2:2s in my past modules i'm lacking confidence and motivation bc it feels like i'm on the edge of a 2:2/2:1 and can mess it up at any minute. especially since i have two grades waiting to come back for my other modules and am sure i've achieved a 2:2 or low 2:1 for them. is there any advice or similar stories that you guys have to help boost my confidence? or do you think a 2:1 is still comfortably in my grasp?
Original post by Anonymous
hi student room. so i'm a third year IR student and my uni's grading system is second year making up 40% of my overall classification and third year 60%. in second year i achieved a 2:1 (64.25%) but due to the pandemic, which i know isn't an excuse, and also my part-time job alongside some pre-existing mental health issues, i've been struggling to maintain a 2:1.

i'm doing 8 modules this year, all 15 credits, and i've gotten back 3 of them. one at 64%, one at 52% and one at 57%. my university has a no detriment policy which will calculate your overall classification as follows (depending on which one you do better on ):
1. the regular second and third year way.
2. using only 90 credits of your best third year modules.

but due to my continuous 2:2s in my past modules i'm lacking confidence and motivation bc it feels like i'm on the edge of a 2:2/2:1 and can mess it up at any minute. especially since i have two grades waiting to come back for my other modules and am sure i've achieved a 2:2 or low 2:1 for them. is there any advice or similar stories that you guys have to help boost my confidence? or do you think a 2:1 is still comfortably in my grasp?

Looking at the maths...

I calculate that you need 57.17 in your final year to get a 2.1 under the normal method. So far you're on 57.67. On that basis, a couple of decent 2.1s and some good marks in the 50s would see you home easily. There is also the question of whether your uni has a "near miss" alternative calculation for those who fall short by a small amount under this normal method.

Looking at the no detriment method, it largely depends on what your two lowest modules are. If you can discard the 52 then you would need to get a total of 359 marks from your 6 best modules to come.

Both paths are eminently within reach given your marks so far. Keep fighting!
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Looking at the maths...

I calculate that you need 57.17 in your final year to get a 2.1 under the normal method. So far you're on 57.67. On that basis, a couple of decent 2.1s and some good marks in the 50s would see you home easily. There is also the question of whether your uni has a "near miss" alternative calculation for those who fall short by a small amount under this normal method.

Looking at the no detriment method, it largely depends on what your two lowest modules are. If you can discard the 52 then you would need to get a total of 359 marks from your 6 best modules to come.

Both paths are eminently within reach given your marks so far. Keep fighting!

thank you so so much for the response!! i've been really anxious since i got my 52 mark in one of my modules yesterday. especially since i was on a 2:1 until that mark pulled me down to a 57 average. i'm really hoping and praying i get that 2:1!!! thank you again <3
thank you so so much for the response!! i've been really anxious since i got my 52 mark in one of my modules yesterday. especially since i was on a 2:1 until that mark pulled me down to a 57 average. i'm really hoping and praying i get that 2:1!!! thank you again <3

Let me know what you get on the two modules you did recently.
Reply 4
Let me know what you get on the two modules you did recently.

hii!! sorry for the long wait. i got one of my module grades back. so in the first essay i got a 56 (worth 35%) whilst the second being 63 (worth 65%). so do you reckon my prospects have changed for the better?
hii!! sorry for the long wait. i got one of my module grades back. so in the first essay i got a 56 (worth 35%) whilst the second being 63 (worth 65%). so do you reckon my prospects have changed for the better?

Well, that module comes out to 60.55 which is above what you need. Edging closer to a 2.1...
Reply 6
Well, that module comes out to 60.55 which is above what you need. Edging closer to a 2.1...

thank you for responding! that’s good news! so do you think overall i’m at a more comfortable 2:1? i’ll also let you know what i get when i find out my other module grade too!
thank you for responding! that’s good news! so do you think overall i’m at a more comfortable 2:1? i’ll also let you know what i get when i find out my other module grade too!

Well, by my original calculations I reckoned you needed just over 57% in your final year. Your third year average is now above 58.38 Every module you achieve higher than 57 means you are closer to your goal.
Reply 8
Well, by my original calculations I reckoned you needed just over 57% in your final year. Your third year average is now above 58.38 Every module you achieve higher than 57 means you are closer to your goal.

that's promising news! and i got my last module of the term grade back. so 63% in the first assignment (worth 50%) and 64% in the second. thank you by the way for all your support :biggrin:
that's promising news! and i got my last module of the term grade back. so 63% in the first assignment (worth 50%) and 64% in the second. thank you by the way for all your support :biggrin:

That's all good! Getting there...!!!

You're welcome, just keep at it! One assignment at a time...
That's all good! Getting there...!!!

You're welcome, just keep at it! One assignment at a time...

hiii! long time but just to let you know i got my final results two days ago and i achieved the 2:1!!! my last three modules were: 69, 68 and 66 respectively!! thank you so much for your support earlier, it gave me so much confidence in achieving it <3333
hiii! long time but just to let you know i got my final results two days ago and i achieved the 2:1!!! my last three modules were: 69, 68 and 66 respectively!! thank you so much for your support earlier, it gave me so much confidence in achieving it <3333

Excellent news!!! You did it comfortably in the end!

No worries, I felt you just needed a shove! 😁

oh wow well done. it just goes to show that even when you have a blip at uni, dont be disheartened and keep going, you can do it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest