The Student Room Group

I'm turning my life around

Hi, I'm 16 years old and I was supposed to write my GCSEs this year. This is not really aimed at anyone, but it's an attempt to get me to motivated. Here's the thing, I love learning. I was studying for my mocks one day and I realised that knowledge made me happy. But I hated exams and due to the lockdown, I feel as if I go back to school now, I'd probably fail all my exams. So this is my last chance. One last chance to turn my life around. I started this account so I can document how my grades and the way I view myself improve. So watch this space.
Just in case, anyone was wondering, or incase I needed this as motivation, I am predicted all 8s, but I doubt, if I continue in this manner, whether I would pass all my subjects. For my December mocks, I was really motivated and this is what I got.
Maths - 7
English Language - 8
English Literature - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Business - 9
Geography - 9
Religious Education - 8
Hospitality and Catering - 4

I knoww, I messed up on Hospitality. I did ok in the theory, but for the practical my dish fell apart and the teacher had to continue for me, so the grade was justified.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reminder for ME before I go back to school:
Write notes halfway for ecology
Write notes halfway for Topic 7 in Chemistry
5 Maths Topics
1 Analysis on Great Expectations
Finish Marketing notes
Finish Forces notes
Finish Quantitative Chemistry Notes
GET OFF TIKTOK
Wow, I feel like I'm in the same position but you're smarter lol. I feel like you might want to put this under the GYG (Grow Your Grades) forum which is basically where students document their revision journey like you are right now (I have a blog there as well) but you don't have to - if you prefer to have it here than that's cool. I'm just here to stick around and see how things work out for you I guess. Btw, if you're struggling to get off tiktok, something I did to reduce my distractions was download an app/website blocker so if I ever try to go on an app or website that distracts me it redirects me to a different page like this;

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 18.13.02.png

You can edit the list of websites you block, set like a time period when you want the website/app to be blocked or put it as "always". You can always remove the app/website off the list but I find that having that extra step makes it more difficult for me to want to go on the app or website.
Reply 4
pop offffff you can do this!!1!
Original post by StarshineDiamond
Wow, I feel like I'm in the same position but you're smarter lol. I feel like you might want to put this under the GYG (Grow Your Grades) forum which is basically where students document their revision journey like you are right now (I have a blog there as well) but you don't have to - if you prefer to have it here than that's cool. I'm just here to stick around and see how things work out for you I guess. Btw, if you're struggling to get off tiktok, something I did to reduce my distractions was download an app/website blocker so if I ever try to go on an app or website that distracts me it redirects me to a different page like this;

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 18.13.02.png

You can edit the list of websites you block, set like a time period when you want the website/app to be blocked or put it as "always". You can always remove the app/website off the list but I find that having that extra step makes it more difficult for me to want to go on the app or website.

thank you sooo much. I feel as if people on here as soo kind and helpful. Thank you for your suggestion btw. A few hours ago, I just deleted the app, but I'm scared I'll reinstall it again. I'm not sure how I can change it under GYG. I would love for my posts to go there. I'm sure seeing other people work towards their dreams would be motivational. If you could tell me how, I would be so very grateful. I'm definitely going to install that app for youtube. When I'm bored, I aimlessly watch random videos. I'm sure I'll survive if I don't watch another 100 videos on baking :smile:
Original post by tsukife
pop offffff you can do this!!1!

thank you thank you thank you
These past two days have been rubbish. I was so nervous about what happening with exams, that I completely neglected myself. I didn't learn, I was distracted and I didn't focus during lessons. That's not who I want to be. I made a timetable today, but I don't know how long I'm going to stick with it. I have so much to catch up on, I don't even want to start :frown:
Original post by not/so/studious
thank you sooo much. I feel as if people on here as soo kind and helpful. Thank you for your suggestion btw. A few hours ago, I just deleted the app, but I'm scared I'll reinstall it again. I'm not sure how I can change it under GYG. I would love for my posts to go there. I'm sure seeing other people work towards their dreams would be motivational. If you could tell me how, I would be so very grateful. I'm definitely going to install that app for youtube. When I'm bored, I aimlessly watch random videos. I'm sure I'll survive if I don't watch another 100 videos on baking :smile:

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how to put it under GYG, if I work it out I'll tell you but I guess for now you can keep posting here so you don't have to go through the trouble of starting a new post under GYG (unless you want to).
These past two days have been rubbish. I was so nervous about what happening with exams, that I completely neglected myself. I didn't learn, I was distracted and I didn't focus during lessons. That's not who I want to be. I made a timetable today, but I don't know how long I'm going to stick with it. I have so much to catch up on, I don't even want to start :frown:

good luck with your timetable! It's understable to have been anxious about exams, I am too because I feel like I've forgotten everything, but just remember to take things steady and ease yourself back into revision so that you don't get too overwhelmed easily. Perhaps start by revising your favourite subject, that might make it easier to start.
Reply 10
Just in case, anyone was wondering, or incase I needed this as motivation, I am predicted all 8s, but I doubt, if I continue in this manner, I will pass all my subjects. For my December mocks, I was really motivated and this is what I got.
Maths - 7
English Language - 8
English Literature - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Business - 9
Geography - 9
Religious Education - 8
Hospitality and Catering - 4

I knoww, I messed up on Hospitality. I did ok in the theory, but for the practical my dish fell apart and the teacher had to continue for me, so the grade was justified.

Good luck with your GCSEs! I'm a second-year undergraduate student and it's fair to say that everyone may be feeling somewhat demotivated and what not due to the pandemic and the current lockdown.

Based on your December mocks, you're already doing really well, and your trajectory looks really encouraging. The best advice I could give you right now is to not be complacent and restless because your teachers are highly likely to be calculating your grades based on your performance across the year, but also don't work too hard. What I mean by the latter point is that you should work smarter and study effectively - it's not necessarily about the number of hours you put in, but ask yourself do you understand this particular topic by RAG rating it. If not, then work on fixing gaps in your learning. You might find the following video on a retrospective timetable helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z88tsBnAsPw.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest