The Student Room Group

why do feathers float gently in the breeze instead of falling to the ground quickly

why do feathers float gently in the breeze instead of falling to the ground quickly like a brick. Like im trying to imagine them having the same surface area, but for some reason, my intuition is telling me that the brick still falls to the ground quicker than the feather.?????? :frown:

i know its do with the air resistance
Feathers are a lot less dense than bricks, so they would still weigh a lot less
Isn't it just that they're light enough to catch updrafts which blow them upwards? Barely any density? Idk man what kinda Year 9 physics type question is this smh. I forgot all this the day I walked out the exam room.
Original post by V℮rsions
Isn't it just that they're light enough to catch updrafts which blow them upwards? Barely any density? Idk man what kinda Year 9 physics type question is this smh. I forgot all this the day I walked out the exam room.

Original post by Theloniouss
Feathers are a lot less dense than bricks, so they would still weigh a lot less

lmao thanks ig :smile:
Oh can I just stick one of my favorite video clips in here...

I'm gonna suggest it's surface area to mass ratio... the feather has high surface area to mass and the brick (or hammer) has low surface area to mass... and the consequence of that is that the feather has a low terminal velocity and the brick (or hammer) has a high terminal velocity (unless you are on the moon where the absence of an atmosphere means air resistance doesn't happen)
Original post by Joinedup
Oh can I just stick one of my favorite video clips in here...

I'm gonna suggest it's surface area to mass ratio... the feather has high surface area to mass and the brick (or hammer) has low surface area to mass... and the consequence of that is that the feather has a low terminal velocity and the brick (or hammer) has a high terminal velocity (unless you are on the moon where the absence of an atmosphere means air resistance doesn't happen)

ahh i see thank youu
but i thought the mass doesn't affect the speed at which an object falls? so why is the surface areas to mass ratio relevant, for terminal velocity, in this case? :smile:
Original post by Qxi.xli
ahh i see thank youu
but i thought the mass doesn't affect the speed at which an object falls? so why is the surface areas to mass ratio relevant, for terminal velocity, in this case? :smile:

Cos the drag force depends on surface area.

e.g. a skydiver with a packed up parachute has the same mass as a skydiver with a deployed parachute... but they have different terminal velocities.
Original post by Qxi.xli

but i thought the mass doesn't affect the speed at which an object falls?

You are correct for all objects falling where the only force acting is that of gravity.

If the object falls through a medium like air or water, then the drag on the object creates an opposing force. In which case density, surface are to mass ratio, temperature etc. all come into play.
I am just going to tell the easy answer; a feather is just a very thin stick with weightless little picks on them.

Quick Reply

Latest