The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust US Programme 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by themartinipolice
Manifesting for us all to get in lol.

Question though, the website says all applicants will be informed BY Feb 26th, but does anyone know if this means all decisions are released ON Feb 26th, or you could be accepted or rejected any time between now and the 26th?

I don't even know which one I'd prefer haha. Either way I'm sure we will all get in.

Thanks for manifesting, I’ll do it too lol!

I believe we’ll be told on the 26th of February, so still a little while to wait :/ however I’m sure it’ll fly in if we take our mind off it - easier said than done I suppose though hahahaha.
anyone also applying to US colleges as class of 2025 welcomed to pm me!!!!
Reply 42
Hey guys! Current Cohort 9 student here. I know that I'm a bit late on here considering the deadline has closed, but I thought I'd reply to some questions that I'd seen. Hope this helps?

Original post by #07
Hi im applying to the programme this year am was wondering how much support you get from Sutton Trust with finding scholarships because I would practically need a full ride if I stand a chance of affording US study.

No need to worry about this at the moment! Finding scholarships, universities with good funding, and how to afford US study is what the program is all about and you will be helped with this extensively.

Original post by hanne19
right so I know I'm late to the party but does ANYONE have any idea why they ask us for which university out of the ones they listed we would prefer? For some reason I got it into my head that it could be because that's how they allocate who might go to which uni for the residential week so I am totally overthinking this and researching for way to long. Anyone know why they ask us that question? Please help! x

Again sorry for the late response as I know you've all already applied, but just thought I'd say that this does not have an impact on any part of the program, incase you were still stressed about it.

If anyone has any more questions I'd be happy to answer anything - the application and waiting for the decisions was very stressful for me this time last year, so if any of you need your mind easing or questions answered (even if they sound silly), I don't mind anyone PMing me or asking in the thread and I'll do the best that I can to help you.
Hi! I know this may seem random but,

in a teacher's reference application, can your teacher also see what you've put in your application?
Original post by Yas7297

in a teacher's reference application, can your teacher also see what you've put in your application?

I’m 99% sure that they can’t, however I could be wrong :smile:
Original post by thestudent04
I’m 99% sure that they can’t, however I could be wrong :smile:

what if they write something completely wrong to your application? e.g your eligibility critereas
Reply 46
Original post by Yas7297

Hi! If you apply to a US university you will do so through the common application. When your teacher submits your reference you can choose whether you want to allow them to see what you've put on your application or not.
Original post by tiilly
Hi! If you apply to a US university you will do so through the common application. When your teacher submits your reference you can choose whether you want to allow them to see what you've put on your application or not.

The issue is i did it on a UK sutton trust application
Reply 48
Original post by Yas7297
The issue is i did it on a UK sutton trust application

Oh I see! Apologies I misinterpreted what you said. In this case I don't think that they can see your application through just submitting a reference.
Original post by tiilly
Oh I see! Apologies I misinterpreted what you said. In this case I don't think that they can see your application through just submitting a reference.

The main concern I have is my teacher for psychology may not know me well and I am an external student of my sixth form..So im a bit worried she may put something different in the application compared to mine. It will make it seem like a discrepancy when there isnt
Original post by Yas7297
The main concern I have is my teacher for psychology may not know me well and I am an external student of my sixth form..So im a bit worried she may put something different in the application compared to mine. It will make it seem like a discrepancy when there isnt

I don't think they can, I'm doing it this year and I asked my teacher who doesn't know me well either. She emailed me basically asking me to tell her what to put in each space of the form. The things she asked me for where: free school meals yes/no?, a-level subjects and predicted grades, GCSE subjects and grades, a short response on "how long has the student been interested in US culture" a short response about the students hobbies and interests" and a short response on the student extra curricular activities.

So as far as im aware there can't see any of your application, but they do have to answer these questions for you. The first few they should be able to get from the school database (including free meals I think?) but the rest they write themselves.
I had that same problem too, I moved to a new college so I asked the teacher that seemed to believe in me the most which was Chemistry teacher luckily as Chemistry is what I want to do lol. But anyways the deadline is approaching soon, GOOD LUCK GUYS. And if you don't get in, remember things happen for a reason! I for one am not feeling very confident but I guess it was fun to fill in the application.
Reply 52
Hey everyone, I applied back in Jan and just came to wish everyone the best of luck!
Thank you, good luck to you too and to everyone else! :smile:

Original post by CreamPi
Hey everyone, I applied back in Jan and just came to wish everyone the best if luck!
Decisions come out today. How's everyone feeling?
Reply 55
Original post by LividOwl9
Decisions come out today. How's everyone feeling?

nervous, you?
I am really nervous. I really want to get in but don’t think my grades are high enough. I think my extra-curriculars were pretty good though so I am trying to be hopeful!
Reply 57
Original post by Anonymous
I am really nervous. I really want to get in but don’t think my grades are high enough. I think my extra-curriculars were pretty good though so I am trying to be hopeful!

What were your grades?
Same, I’m really nervous 😭😭For me, I think my extracurriculars were my weakness but we’ll see🤷🏾*♀️
Does anyone know what time we'll get the email? I'm so nervous😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending