The Student Room Group

I am a fully LGBTQ+affirming born again Christian! AMA!

Born again/ evangelical Christian, wherever you want to call it

Ask away :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What religion do you practice?
Original post by sunny.side.up
What religion do you practice?

I am Christian :smile:
Original post by Garnettoi
I am Christian :smile:

Nice, me too.
How does being LGBTQ+ connect you with the bible?
Let me know if anything I say makes you uncomfortable.
Nice, me too.
How does being LGBTQ+ connect you with the bible?
Let me know if anything I say makes you uncomfortable.

I am lesbian by nature but I received Jesus as my personal saviour when I was 16; it thus not my opinion that being gay, lesbian, bi or trans or any other identity automatically blocks you off from knowing Jesus as your lord and saviour. I don’t support conversion therapy either as I think it’s nonsense.
Reply 5
Do you think other Christians who judge you for being gay are homophobic? Or do you understand where they're coming from as a Christian yourself?
I am lesbian by nature but I received Jesus as my personal saviour when I was 16; it thus not my opinion that being gay, lesbian, bi or trans or any other identity automatically blocks you off from knowing Jesus as your lord and saviour. I don’t support conversion therapy either as I think it’s nonsense.

I think it's important that you have excepted him. I know many people say Jesus is against anything besides heterosexual people, but I disagree. He cares about what's in our hearts, not our sexuality.
Original post by Joel 96
Do you think other Christians who judge you for being gay are homophobic? Or do you understand where they're coming from as a Christian yourself?

I can’t make myself straight, all any LGBTQ+ Christian can choose to do really is not act on their sexuality. That being said, I used to be in denial about my sexuality and a really conservative Bible bashing fundamentalist type of Christian who didn’t really understand homosexuality so I can kind of understand where they’re coming from.
I think it's important that you have excepted him. I know many people say Jesus is against anything besides heterosexual people, but I disagree. He cares about what's in our hearts, not our sexuality.

Exactly! Jesus died for the whole world’s sins not just straight cisgender folks!
Reply 9
I can’t make myself straight, all any LGBTQ+ Christian can choose to do really is not act on their sexuality. That being said, I used to be in denial about my sexuality and a really conservative Bible bashing fundamentalist type of Christian who didn’t really understand homosexuality so I can kind of understand where they’re coming from.

Thanks for the response. I've never asked a gay person this, so apologies if it comes off as ignorant, but do you really have zero attraction to the opposite sex? Like, you've never felt anything for men? I don't know the origins of homosexuality, and science hasn't been able to find out, so it's something I think about a lot. If it is a choice, then it could be called a sin, but if you really can't choose to be straight, then it seems unfair to say homosexuality is a sin.
Original post by Joel 96
Thanks for the response. I've never asked a gay person this, so apologies if it comes off as ignorant, but do you really have zero attraction to the opposite sex? Like, you've never felt anything for men? I don't know the origins of homosexuality, and science hasn't been able to find out, so it's something I think about a lot. If it is a choice, then it could be called a sin, but if you really can't choose to be straight, then it seems unfair to say homosexuality is a sin.

I can assure you that I’ve never been sexually attracted to a man in my life. I once attempted, in my former days of self hatred, to make myself straight and in doing so paradoxically further affirmed to myself that I was gay. With respect to the verses in the Bible that appear to be condemning homosexual sex, it is not my opinion, from looking at the original Hebrew and Greek, that is actually talking about homosexuality, hence my relatively liberal position in this issue. But I apply strict sexual standards to myself and affirm others rather than vice versa as a lot of Christians seem to
(edited 3 years ago)
I can assure you that I’ve never been sexually attracted to a man in my life. I once attempted, in my former days of self hatred, to make myself straight and in doing so paradoxically further affirmed to myself that I was gay. With respect to the verses in the Bible that appear to be condemning homosexual sex, it is not my opinion, from looking at the original Hebrew and Greek, that is actually talking about homosexuality, hence my relatively liberal position in this issue. But I apply strict standards to myself and affirm others rather than vice versa as a lot of Christians seem to

Thanks for the insight! You seem really reasonable and understanding.

As a mormon, I have no qualms with homosexual members. I've always thought that God and Jesus wouldn't mind what goes on between two consenting adults in the bedroom, provided they mean well and aren't doing it just for pleasure, but love.
Original post by Joel 96

I think its people considered a sin if someone acts on that desire.
I think its people considered a sin if someone acts on that desire.

Generally yes. Obviously the verses in Leviticus are pretty explicit regarding homosexuality, though there is some contextual dispute over its meaning (something about Israelites' purity in the Holiness Code).
Original post by Joel 96
Thanks for the insight! You seem really reasonable and understanding.

As a mormon, I have no qualms with homosexual members. I've always thought that God and Jesus wouldn't mind what goes on between two consenting adults in the bedroom, provided they mean well and aren't doing it just for pleasure, but love.

Thank you, if you have any more questions, please shoot :smile:

I don’t really know much about Mormonism tbh; nice to see you’re affirming anyway :smile:
Why would at one point in life (over 2000 years ago Jesus lived I think?) God come down in human form, get tortured by it’s creation (humans) and die by it’s creation, in order to forgive the sins of it’s creation?

Why do you believe in the teachings and words of Paul, Mark, Luke etc?

Where is the gospel of Jesus?

I want to see Jesus’s words!

Why do you believe the bible to be a reliable source of information when there are so many different versions, so many different verses taken out and put back in etc.

Bit unrelated but why why why do people believe what the bible says?

Why do people believe what Paul and the others say?

How can God be a human and man at the same time?

How can god die?

Why can’t god just forgive, but instead he has to come down in human form and die by it’s creation just to simply forgive its creation?

Why

Why

Why

Christians don’t follow the words of Jesus! They follow the words of Paul and the others!

Jesus fell on his face and prayed to god!

He said ‘by myself I can do nothing’

He fell on his knees and prayed to god, just like all the other prophets (Moses, Abraham, Muhammad)

All the prophets (including Jesus) had one, simple message...

To believe and worship one God, without partners, without other gods, without the trinity none sense.

People need to start using their reasoning.
Thank you, if you have any more questions, please shoot :smile:

I don’t really know much about Mormonism tbh; nice to see you’re affirming anyway :smile:

I think I'm done, thanks for the answers :smile:

That's okay, most don't :lol:
Original post by LordBerkut
'If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.'

'A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God' (For the trans part of LGBTQ)

I know these are from the old testament, but why would god change his mind?

What about verses also stating God loves you for your heart, and only your heart?
See, the bible is so confusing, because it can say one thing and a completely opposite, it just depends on what that person decides to listen to and believe in.
Original post by rockhead08
Why would at one point in life (over 2000 years ago Jesus lived I think?) God come down in human form, get tortured by it’s creation (humans) and die by it’s creation, in order to forgive the sins of it’s creation?

Why do you believe in the teachings and words of Paul, Mark, Luke etc?

Where is the gospel of Jesus?

I want to see Jesus’s words!

Why do you believe the bible to be a reliable source of information when there are so many different versions, so many different verses taken out and put back in etc.

Bit unrelated but why why why do people believe what the bible says?

Why do people believe what Paul and the others say?

How can God be a human and man at the same time?

How can god die?

Why can’t god just forgive, but instead he has to come down in human form and die by it’s creation just to simply forgive its creation?

Why

Why

Why

Christians don’t follow the words of Jesus! They follow the words of Paul and the others!

Jesus fell on his face and prayed to god!

He said ‘by myself I can do nothing’

He fell on his knees and prayed to god, just like all the other prophets (Moses, Abraham, Muhammad)

All the prophets (including Jesus) had one, simple message...

To believe and worship one God, without partners, without other gods, without the trinity none sense.

People need to start using their reasoning.

Christians believe in and worship one God, we just believe He can take different three forms simultaneously, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. It’s a bit like how water can be steam, water and ice but it’s the same molecule if you get the analogy?

We believe that none can become right with God by our deeds, as all righteousness of humans to God is like filthy rags and all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God and His Righteousness

Therefore, all humans sin and all humans choose to sin, God as a perfect and just God requires sacrifice to cover for said wilful human sin. Jesus taught that anger made you guilty of murder, and I don’t think there is a human alive who has never been angry. Thus sin incurs punishment by God. Thus, Jesus, who lived a perfect life pleasing to God in full submission died on the cross for us, so that those who believe in him shall not perish (go to hell) but have eternal life (heaven)

I agree however sadly a lot of Christians don’t act very Christ like and fall short of the example given to us by Jesus
Original post by LordBerkut
'If a man practices homosexuality, having sex with another man as with a woman, both men have committed a detestable act. They must both be put to death, for they are guilty of a capital offense.'

'A woman shall not wear a man's garment, nor shall a man put on a woman's cloak, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord your God' (For the trans part of LGBTQ)

I know these are from the old testament, but why would god change his mind?

Hey there, I’ve studied the original Hebrew of Lev 18:22 and Lev 20:13 and its not my opinion from the in-verse contexts of these two verses and the broader socio-historical context of the Book of the Leviticus that it’s condemning homosexuality between two consenting adult males. The word used in both of these verses is a word which appears translated elsewhere multiple times in my Hebrew concordance as “male child/ boy.” It also appears in a significant number of verses where it is not translated as male child directly but the in-verse context makes it plain that it is in reference to a male youth, human or animal.

Trans people are not men or women just playing dress up so it’s not my opinion that this verse is applicable to transgender individuals. Furthermore Galatians 3:28 makes it clear “there is no male or female in Christ Jesus.” Given that there is no direct reference to transgenderism or trans-sexuality anywhere in scripture I see no reason to oppose it. However trans individuals who are not accepted are at a higher rate of suicide, it’s therefore my belief that “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” comes into play here. I have no wish to see people kill themselves
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending