The Student Room Group

Is it just me or does the student room annoy you a lot of the time?

Hey! I know this is a bit random but was hoping some like minded people would join.
I've just joined the student room to find advice etc but can't stop being very annoyed by what some people out on here (on some specific uni threads (oxbridge cough cough)) are saying.I joined because I was worried about accepting an Oxford offer and it made it worse when I looked at the oxbridge threads! I don't know- it just feels sometimes like it's filled with very arrogant people who seem to always talk about how great they are but who are unaware they sound kind of weird?! Idk I don't want this to be an offensive thread so please keep it kind <3- I suppose I was just hoping to remind myself that the world is not full of immature people who keep going on about "What a competitive application they are" or how they're going to get into Oxford because they know Latin.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Tbh, some users are pretty annoying ngl. I've been here for a month (I think so...) and there are a lot of threads that are truly annoying AKA trolls. Yes, people do get offended by the trolls, but sometimes the troll can be offended as well. Well, in short, it's just a matter of opinions and there's a number of users that boasts theirs to offend.

I would suggest to ignore and move on. Later on, the troll might be removed by the mods so... yeah just ignore.
You have to remember a high percentage of TSR users are smarter than average, so you're bound to find lots of smart people around here. And unfortunately, a lot of smart people boast about it. I hope that helps you with that :biggrin:
Original post by cleveranimal56
You have to remember a high percentage of TSR users are smarter than average, so you're bound to find lots of smart people around here. And unfortunately, a lot of smart people boast about it. I hope that helps you with that :biggrin:

haha maybe, but I don't know if that's true- I think genuinely clever people don't boast about it- why should they? Boasting's a sign of insecurity.
VERY very annoyed. Most of the threads and users irritate me. Yet I can’t stop going on here.
I agree people can be annoying on the chats- but half if not more don't get in. When I was at school there were so many people in my class who said they were going to get into Oxbridge because they played chess/debated and said I would be lucky if I got into any uni because I was good at art and therfore must be bad academically (no logic I know lol). Who out of us got into oxbridge? Only me! Don't worry about it- the kind of people you talk about are in the minority at Oxford. Most are actually clever and don't brag about weird pointless ****.
It irks me how passive aggressive some users are, I could easily mistake their posts for Ben Shapiro monologues. You can just tell that they've googled a ton of words like 'multifaceted' or 'juxtapose' and plonked them into a sentence 😂

And also the super patronising adults on here, acting as if they're God's greatest gift by stomping on Y10s who want help with their maths homework. Like bro???💀 You're the 35 year old on a teen forum?
Bro, this is well known and look how the site was described 10 years ago:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The+Student+Room&amp=true
Some people can be quite passive agressive, that's true. But the majority of people on here are very nice, as far as I'm aware.
Original post by Anonymous754328
Hey! I know this is a bit random but was hoping some like minded people would join.
I've just joined the student room to find advice etc but can't stop being very annoyed by what some people out on here (on some specific uni threads (oxbridge cough cough)) are saying.I joined because I was worried about accepting an Oxford offer and it made it worse when I looked at the oxbridge threads! I don't know- it just feels sometimes like it's filled with very arrogant people who seem to always talk about how great they are but who are unaware they sound kind of weird?! Idk I don't want this to be an offensive thread so please keep it kind <3- I suppose I was just hoping to remind myself that the world is not full of immature people who keep going on about "What a competitive application they are" or how they're going to get into Oxford because they know Latin.

That's interesting is this the undergrad oxbridge group? The postgrad oxbridge group I'm in is very helpful and polite most of the time (honestly haven't come across any arrogant people or trolls etc). I suppose what is "annoying" depends on perspective. Realistically there are probably many "annoying people" out there be it on social media or real life, not only on TSR. But perhaps the boasting thing academically is exacerbated in the oxbridge group. As you mentioned above, boasting is a sign of insecurity and I fully agree with that. In another context, people boast about many things i.e. their relationships, wealth which could also be deemed as "annoying". Yes you should just ignore these people really no point paying them any attention. Let them boast aimlessly to the wind haha. Giving these people attention just fuels them more.
tsr isn't a seperate section of society - it literally is just made up of thousands of students who are part of it. they'll all have mixed views, arguments, and beliefs. some will be there to deliberately waste people's time, but most will be there to find useful answers or provide solutions for others. :smile:

sometimes it might feel like the negative experiences outweigh the good (and I'm sorry you feel this way or have experienced this :frown:). but this site is also a really positive outlet for many people. it allows them to find support, make friends and talk to other people their age.

I don't look at the Oxbridge threads, that's not really my area of expertise / interest, but Chat is great and I enjoy doing what I do :yep:

I hope your experience of TSR gets better from here on out :hugs:
Original post by Celtic Conjurer
Bro, this is well known and look how the site was described 10 years ago:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The+Student+Room&amp=true

Haha brilliant!
Original post by Anonymous754328

University threads can be very... very, especially for Oxbridge. If it makes you feel better, they're worse at the start - the 2022 Cambridge thread is infinitely worse than the 2021 one.

I was on there a few weeks before the results came out, and it was very stressful (but I was already stressed out enough, so...).

Other university ones are better, but the focus on "stats?" can be quite irritating.

Original post by tipexmaster25
It irks me how passive aggressive some users are, I could easily mistake their posts for Ben Shapiro monologues. You can just tell that they've googled a ton of words like 'multifaceted' or 'juxtapose' and plonked them into a sentence 😂

And also the super patronising adults on here, acting as if they're God's greatest gift by stomping on Y10s who want help with their maths homework. Like bro???💀 You're the 35 year old on a teen forum?

Oxbridge reapplicants is the worst. Not the students on there - they're mostly really nice. The excessive Oxbridge focus, advice from adults instead of students, and the whole "you're not entitled to an Oxbridge offer" can be very irritating. I know that university offers aren't a right, but if somebody is stressed about their interview, or didn't get accepted, telling them to stop being entitled is quite insensitive.

But it is quite weird to have adults on here - it's a student forum, and many of the adults can be obsessed about some things (*Oxbridge*)
Original post by Anonymous
Oxbridge reapplicants is the worst. Not the students on there - they're mostly really nice. The excessive Oxbridge focus, advice from adults instead of students, and the whole "you're not entitled to an Oxbridge offer" can be very irritating. I know that university offers aren't a right, but if somebody is stressed about their interview, or didn't get accepted, telling them to stop being entitled is quite insensitive.

But it is quite weird to have adults on here - it's a student forum, and many of the adults can be obsessed about some things (*Oxbridge*)

It's when they make Oxbridge their entire personality trait 😂 They shut people down for asking normal questions, but if they're such experts then why did they get rejected the first time round? I think it's driven by self-hatred, maybe they can see themselves in some of the 'stupid questions' and don't like it. My favourite commenters in the Oxbridge threads are the parents, they learn 2 facts about one of the colleges & suddenly they're Oxford alumni. Absolute gold.

haha so true!
Original post by Anonymous
That's interesting is this the undergrad oxbridge group? The postgrad oxbridge group I'm in is very helpful and polite most of the time (honestly haven't come across any arrogant people or trolls etc). I suppose what is "annoying" depends on perspective. Realistically there are probably many "annoying people" out there be it on social media or real life, not only on TSR. But perhaps the boasting thing academically is exacerbated in the oxbridge group. As you mentioned above, boasting is a sign of insecurity and I fully agree with that. In another context, people boast about many things i.e. their relationships, wealth which could also be deemed as "annoying". Yes you should just ignore these people really no point paying them any attention. Let them boast aimlessly to the wind haha. Giving these people attention just fuels them more.

Thank you, so true <3
I've never really got that impression from the Cambridge forum. I'm sure there are some arrogant users but nobody constantly talks about how great they are. Maybe it's different in Oxford.
I feel like I can't talk to people on here because they're either too smart or too smart
- written by a dumbass
thats the best part and the main reason i joined

to take the piss out of them

This POST :rofl2: :tea:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending