The Student Room Group

question about being trans

So I've heard a lot of stories about how people realized they were trans and mostly they mention that they realized when they were a child. When I was a child I wanted to be a boy. No question there. Obviously I got bullied for being a Tom boy and eventually have somewhat conformed to being stereotypically girly. I'm proud to be a woman and I like being called she/her but also sometimes I'm confused about it. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Tbh I'm not sure what I'm asking.

Scroll to see replies

The trans troll strikes again (or at least, I very much hope you are trolling)....
You're just you. I was a tomboy when I was younger. There are always gender stereotypes at any age- girls who want to play football or play with action men are deemed tomboys. Clearly you've grown into yourself and accepted who you are.
You can't change biological sex. You can present how you like, but it is alarming how if you question yourself once in a while we are conditioned to think "maybe I'm trans".
Reply 3
Original post by glassalice
The trans troll strikes again (or at least, I very much hope you are trolling)....

Do you mean me or the other guy? I'm not trolling. Sorry if I'm explaining myself badly. I'm trying to say, I've experienced what a lot of trans people go through aka gender disphoria as a child, but it no longer is a significant issue. I was wondering whether this was a case of 'out growing it' or repression or something eg I've been wondering whether I could be non binary. But it's just the pronoun thing throws me because I like being called she/her. Maybe it's purely a case of not fitting gender norms? I'm just trying to get another perspective on it.
Reply 4
Original post by linedpaper
You're just you. I was a tomboy when I was younger. There are always gender stereotypes at any age- girls who want to play football or play with action men are deemed tomboys. Clearly you've grown into yourself and accepted who you are.
You can't change biological sex. You can present how you like, but it is alarming how if you question yourself once in a while we are conditioned to think "maybe I'm trans".

I suppose that's true. I guess I'm overthinking it. Ty.
Original post by Anonymous
So I've heard a lot of stories about how people realized they were trans and mostly they mention that they realized when they were a child. When I was a child I wanted to be a boy. No question there. Obviously I got bullied for being a Tom boy and eventually have somewhat conformed to being stereotypically girly. I'm proud to be a woman and I like being called she/her but also sometimes I'm confused about it. Anyone else been in a similar situation? Tbh I'm not sure what I'm asking.

You sound just masculinely orientated in terms of hobby orientation, I am the same, I love my guns and swords. It’s unlikely that you have gender dysphoria as it’s quite rare
Do you mean me or the other guy? I'm not trolling. Sorry if I'm explaining myself badly. I'm trying to say, I've experienced what a lot of trans people go through aka gender disphoria as a child, but it no longer is a significant issue. I was wondering whether this was a case of 'out growing it' or repression or something eg I've been wondering whether I could be non binary. But it's just the pronoun thing throws me because I like being called she/her. Maybe it's purely a case of not fitting gender norms? I'm just trying to get another perspective on it.

standing up for science should never be deemed trolling.

If you are no longer experiencing any distress related to your sex, why would you wish to put yourself through the pain of multiple surgeries, life long effects of hormone treatments and societal prejudices?

Around 90% of children that experience gender dysphoria desist. https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/07/21972/

Think of transition as a treatment for gender dysphoria.
(edited 3 years ago)
I suppose that's true. I guess I'm overthinking it. Ty.

You can define yourself how you like, but it seems like you've just become content with your identity. I do think it is hard to be a woman and see that actually society does say there are things you can't do.

Realistically gender is based on social norms- "reference to social and cultural differences rather than biological ones". Hence there is no rigid gender, even if society places it that way. You don't have to label yourself.
Theres that one study which says that most people who claim to be the other gender as children, if never allowed to pursue it, grow out of it in adolescence :h:

The study also fails to investigate the reasons why that is e.g. societal pressure to conform, self hatred due to upbringing etc.
Original post by MedicWil
The study also fails to investigate the reasons why that is e.g. societal pressure to conform, self hatred due to upbringing etc.

Ah that's what I was trying to ask. if you, like me, share the same child hood experiences that trans people have, how do you know that you've just "grown out of it" rather then simply given in to societal pressure?
Ah that's what I was trying to ask. if you, like me, share the same child hood experiences that trans people have, how do you know that you've just "grown out of it" rather then simply given in to societal pressure?

I think you'd be able to tell the difference between happy in yourself now and literally hiding the fact you're another gender to the world?
Original post by linedpaper

It's almost as though in your rush to enforce the Cisgender norm you've completely ignored the Diagnostic Criteria for 'being trans'

HA60.JPGICD 11 HA 61 .jpg
I think you'd be able to tell the difference between happy in yourself now and literally hiding the fact you're another gender to the world?

I guess. But to some extent can't people repress that? There are stories of people repressing the fact they're gay, bi ect for most of their lives.

That's a complex question that probably has a lot of answers so I'm not too sure of how to answer it
A lot of people would probably know which it is though by how happy they are in their current self, their opinions now on gender and what thoughts they have on the matter or their own gender identity, e.g. whether they have self hatred or not etc
I guess. But to some extent can't people repress that? There are stories of people repressing the fact they're gay, bi ect for most of their lives.

Well here's a simple enough way to find out, ask yourself: am I in the wrong body?
You could be a femme lesbian but this is deeply unfashionable. Apparently its more trendy to change gender than be in a same sex relationship.

It's alleged that to prevent being a transphobe, a biologically born female who is same sex attracted must go out with a self defined trans woman even if theyve got a hairy **** and balls.

Self ID is the primary thimg, mind over body.
Gender is no longer what is between the legs but is between the ears so its important to get with the programme.

But ultimately, you are you, however you think you are, in anytime or place, that suits you so stop doubting and start believing. Remember you are beautiful and meaningful. Things are forever in flux, confidence is everything.

I'm not into girls though. I'm into guys.
Theres that one study which says that most people who claim to be the other gender as children, if never allowed to pursue it, grow out of it in adolescence :h:

the 1970s rang they want their debunked and 50 year out of date study back

https://www.transadvocate.com/part-i-the-rise-and-fall-of-discosexology-dr-zucker-camh-conversion-therapy_n_19556.htm
Original post by InArduisFouette

Transadvocate, doesn't sound bias.

Latest

Trending

Trending