The Student Room Group

Mr Potato Head loses "Mr" Title. Are snowflakes to blame?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Wellies_
To be fair, seeing people lose their **** over this on social media is entirely worthy of mockery and ridicule.

Sure, but all I've seen are people saying it's stupid. I don't think anyone's going to lose sleep over this.
I don't even want to know what's going down on Twitter. That site is cursed.
Non event IMO, call it 'Turdo' for all I care. I would like to buy one of those dog whistles though, v effective.
He's still called Mr Potato Head though isn't he. I read it as though the brand is just becoming 'Potato Head' but the character of Mr Potato Head still exists. Media just wants us all to react and it worked
Original post by jemima0103
He's still called Mr Potato Head though isn't he. I read it as though the brand is just becoming 'Potato Head' but the character of Mr Potato Head still exists. Media just wants us all to react and it worked

Yup, exactly.

https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato-head-goes-gender-neutral-d3c178f2b9b0c424ed814657be41a9d8

The headline “Mr Potatoe Head’s name to be moved around on the box” doesn’t draw eyeballs.
Reply 24
Original post by Joel 96
Why is the left's response always "WhY yOu So TrIgGeReD bRuH?".
Aren't people allowed to call-out a cringey PR stunt when they see one?

By all means call out a publicity stunt. But claiming 'society is ridiculous' or some overarching comment because a toy company renamed a potato is rather laughable.
Original post by DSilva
By all means call out a publicity stunt. But claiming 'society is ridiculous' or some overarching comment because a toy company renamed a potato is rather laughable.

It's pretty ridiculous, yeah. Like anyone doesn't feel included in society because Mr Potato Head has a male title. C'mon.
Reply 26
Original post by Joel 96
It's pretty ridiculous, yeah. Like anyone doesn't feel included in society because Mr Potato Head has a male title. C'mon.

He's keeping his male title, they're just renaming the brand 'potato head'. Relax.

Again, imagine being outraged about a toy company changing the brand name of its potato.

The right are the biggest snowflakes out there.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva

What is laughable is the left being so fragile that the thought of a male potato tips them over the edge. I’m hoping to see that this is the end of wonderwoman as well. Who will she be replaced by? Genderneutralgirl?
Original post by imlikeahermit
What is laughable is the left being so fragile that the thought of a male potato tips them over the edge. I’m hoping to see that this is the end of wonderwoman as well. Who will she be replaced by? Genderneutralgirl?

Cisgender Woman gets my vote
Reply 29
Why are they changing it though? I’m not taking offence, I said clearly, I couldn’t give a ****. But why are they changing it?

You seem quite angry and invested for someone who 'couldn't give a ****'.
Original post by DSilva
You seem quite angry and invested for someone who 'couldn't give a ****'.

Not at all. As one poster already pointed out on this thread it’s amusing watching all the left whingers pedal their usual retort of ‘why are you so bothered?’

I do however fear for the justice league after this revelation. If the leftwaffe can get to a potato I don’t think Captain America stands a chance.
Reply 31
Not at all. As one poster already pointed out on this thread it’s amusing watching all the left whingers pedal their usual retort of ‘why are you so bothered?’

I do however fear for the justice league after this revelation. If the leftwaffe can get to a potato I don’t think Captain America stands a chance.

Can you give one example of anyone on the left calling for or campaigning for me potato heads name to be changed? Go on, just one will do...
(edited 3 years ago)
Your fragile.. no your fragile.. no you get easily offended.. no you do etc.

Most right vs left arguments about censorship these days..

In this case it just seems a misunderstanding. It clearly still says MR and MRS on the box. Having the brand as 'potato head' and then a MR and a MRS under, seems very logical.

Lets be honest, these days its just the press playing both sides. They know exactly how to get either sides blood boiling, and do it to a charm these days.
Original post by DSilva
He's keeping his male title, they're just renaming the brand 'potato head'. Relax.

Again, imagine being outraged about a toy company changing the brand name of its potato.

The right are the biggest snowflakes out there.

I'm relaxed and very un-outraged. I'm aware what they're changing, and I think it's a laughable, cringey PR stunt. That's all I have to say about it.
Original post by Admit-One
Yup, exactly.

https://apnews.com/article/mr-potato-head-goes-gender-neutral-d3c178f2b9b0c424ed814657be41a9d8

The headline “Mr Potatoe Head’s name to be moved around on the box” doesn’t draw eyeballs.

Original post by jemima0103

Original post by DSilva
Can you give one example of anyone on the left calling for or campaigning for me potato heads name to be changed? Go on, just one will do...

Hasbro, themselves, stated about the change,
"Hasbro is making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr from the Mr Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion".

So it was done for gender equality purposes, not brand convenience like you're asserting. That's why people are mocking it.
Reply 35
Original post by Joel 96
"Hasbro is making sure all feel welcome in the Potato Head world by officially dropping the Mr from the Mr Potato Head brand name and logo to promote gender equality and inclusion".

So it was done for gender equality purposes, not brand convenience like you're asserting. That's why people are mocking it.

Not what I asked. Can you give me one example of any left wing person campaigning or complaining about Mr Potato Head?

Original post by Joel 96
I'm relaxed and very un-outraged. I'm aware what they're changing, and I think it's a laughable, cringey PR stunt. That's all I have to say about it.

That's fine. It is of course a PR stunt. For starters we're all talking about their product now and they've gained huge publicity.

The irony of course is that the right wingers making it into a big issue have given them the publicity they were very much seeking.
Original post by Joel 96

Yes, the brand name is changing, not Mr Potato Head, who will still be using a traditionally male title and is married to Mrs Potato Head.

The brand name changing makes perfect sense, they’ve been doing spin offs into a much wider potato character portfolio for years. If people want to try and mock inclusion, that’s up to them.
Original post by DSilva
Not what I asked. Can you give me one example of any left wing person campaigning or complaining about Mr Potato Head?

I never claimed that they did. I can't imagine anyone complaining about such a thing.

Original post by DSilva

That's fine. It is of course a PR stunt. For starters we're all talking about their product now and they've gained huge publicity.

The irony of course is that the right wingers making it into a big issue have given them the publicity they were very much seeking.

I don't care about ruining Hasbro, they can make any change they want, no matter how ridiculous.

I just find it amusing how you're so ardent when replying to people who comment on the matter. If you think the change is a good thing, then just explain why you think so, rather than accusing people of being outraged when nobody really cares that much.
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, the brand name is changing, not Mr Potato Head, who will still be using a traditionally male title and is married to Mrs Potato Head.

The brand name changing makes perfect sense, they’ve been doing spin offs into a much wider potato character portfolio for years. If people want to try and mock inclusion, that’s up to them.

The change may make sense, sure, but they've stated that they changed it for gender equality purposes. If this is a giant leap for inclusion, then more power to you. I hope the trans community feels safer now.
Original post by Joel 96
The change may make sense, sure, but they've stated that they changed it for gender equality purposes. If this is a giant leap for inclusion, then more power to you. I hope the trans community feels safer now.

Why would the trans community need to feel safer for it to be a positive change?

Eg. The Robertson’s jam ‘Golly’ character wasn’t responsible for any hate crimes but retiring him was a welcome move.

Quick Reply

Latest