The Student Room Group

worried about A levels..

so im in year 10 at the moment and I've always wanted to do medicine since i was little. i did a lot of research and how chemistry(in most unis) is a required subject for med school. my brother does chemistry rn and he said its rlly hard and a lot of other ppl said its hard(including me who went through past A lvl papers). personally, i hate chemistry :/
but ima have to take it for A levels and im just worried and so stressed if i could even do it.
as to my current grade(in science), i went from around grade 2 to 6-5 just the start of this year coz i bothered to put some effort, idk if im underestimating myself but seeing how it looks very hard idek if i can acc do chemistry(w bio and maths) and be able to get As in them.
if someone has any advices id appreciate it if u reply to this <3
Original post by twkh
so im in year 10 at the moment and I've always wanted to do medicine since i was little. i did a lot of research and how chemistry(in most unis) is a required subject for med school. my brother does chemistry rn and he said its rlly hard and a lot of other ppl said its hard(including me who went through past A lvl papers). personally, i hate chemistry :/
but ima have to take it for A levels and im just worried and so stressed if i could even do it.
as to my current grade(in science), i went from around grade 2 to 6-5 just the start of this year coz i bothered to put some effort, idk if im underestimating myself but seeing how it looks very hard idek if i can acc do chemistry(w bio and maths) and be able to get As in them.

are you interested in any other careers?
Reply 2
Original post by username54
are you interested in any other careers?

tbh no. at first i did have engineering as my ''back up'' plan and i did a lot of research on it and in few other careers but ive realised no matter what i search abt or how good other careers are, i always end up getting back to square one. medicine. like i love it so much and ive always wanted to be a doctor since i was little and not gonna lie, i tried convincing myself with other careers bc sometimes i feel very demotivated and think that medicine just takes too long
Original post by twkh
tbh no. at first i did have engineering as my ''back up'' plan and i did a lot of research on it and in few other careers but ive realised no matter what i search abt or how good other careers are, i always end up getting back to square one. medicine. like i love it so much and ive always wanted to be a doctor since i was little and not gonna lie, i tried convincing myself with other careers bc sometimes i feel very demotivated and think that medicine just takes too long

I say just study hard to get the top grades cause you still have a year left and you should definitely see what type of careers you could be interested in. Take career tests online or maybe turn a hobby of urs into a career
Reply 4
Original post by username54
I say just study hard to get the top grades cause you still have a year left and you should definitely see what type of careers you could be interested in. Take career tests online or maybe turn a hobby of urs into a career

yh tbh i would count myself above average academically but sometimes/a lot of times i just lose motivation or feel helpless.. but im defo still aiming for medicine coz ik its the best career for me n its what i enjoy the most x
Original post by twkh
yh tbh i would count myself above average academically but sometimes/a lot of times i just lose motivation or feel helpless.. but im defo still aiming for medicine coz ik its the best career for me n its what i enjoy the most x

It's hard to stay motivated, especially during this lockdown. Take time out for yourself and do something you enjoy to maybe relax yourself . I use a to do list to help as well and it makes me want to get my work done and stuff
Why do you hate chemistry? Is it the content, the class you're a part of, teachers... etc?
Reply 7
Original post by danielhaslam19
Why do you hate chemistry? Is it the content, the class you're a part of, teachers... etc?

i would say the class lol like part of the content i do hate but when i learn n understand some topics in it, then i like it more
Reply 8
Original post by twkh

I would say don’t be too concerned about your a levels now. Focus on your GCSEs and getting an 8/9 in your sciences - as while not directly required, a GCSE understanding will help with a level, and some unis use GCSEs when ranking candidates.

In terms of chem, it isn’t as bad as people make it out to be (in my opinion). I just teach it to myself using revision guides and whatever I can find on the internet, and using the specification, and make sure that I understand that section before I move on :smile:

Whatever to do - Good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by twkh

Okay, first off, it's great you know what you love and what you want to do, I know from experience that the sooner you know the better! I highly suggest you take a bit of time to explore other careers/subjects etc, just to discover any other interests you may have (you don't have to pick your a level subjects based on what you may discover - just so you have a hobby of some kind or interest that isn't related to school to unwind).

You clearly have the potential to do well due to your improved grades, so don't doubt your skills. So long as 1) you want/are passionate to do medicine 2) keep working towards getting the grades you want to study medicine further, I think you should do well.

A few tips you can use if you want:

- like I said, have a hobby/interest to unwind from school work
- keep your bedroom and workspace (if it's not your bedroom) tidy (personally I find unorganised spaces make me uneasy so yeah)
- stay connected with friends - they will definitely make school more enjoyable
- I think you've got this covered, but make sure you know what you want and will work for 100%. Biggest mistake I made was listening to people saying 'you don't need to think about xyz now, you've got time', doing that screwed me over as I was too slow to prepare and have chosen a subject I no longer like (I'm in year 12)
- kind of like the previous point, but know what you're willing to sacrifice. You say you don't like chemistry, but if medicine is 100% what you want to do, you need to ask yourself are you willing to invest the time in a challenging subject for you to do what you love in the future?

I really hope this helps, at least a little :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Shaped99
Okay, first off, it's great you know what you love and what you want to do, I know from experience that the sooner you know the better! I highly suggest you take a bit of time to explore other careers/subjects etc, just to discover any other interests you may have (you don't have to pick your a level subjects based on what you may discover - just so you have a hobby of some kind or interest that isn't related to school to unwind).

You clearly have the potential to do well due to your improved grades, so don't doubt your skills. So long as 1) you want/are passionate to do medicine 2) keep working towards getting the grades you want to study medicine further, I think you should do well.

A few tips you can use if you want:

- like I said, have a hobby/interest to unwind from school work
- keep your bedroom and workspace (if it's not your bedroom) tidy (personally I find unorganised spaces make me uneasy so yeah)
- stay connected with friends - they will definitely make school more enjoyable
- I think you've got this covered, but make sure you know what you want and will work for 100%. Biggest mistake I made was listening to people saying 'you don't need to think about xyz now, you've got time', doing that screwed me over as I was too slow to prepare and have chosen a subject I no longer like (I'm in year 12)
- kind of like the previous point, but know what you're willing to sacrifice. You say you don't like chemistry, but if medicine is 100% what you want to do, you need to ask yourself are you willing to invest the time in a challenging subject for you to do what you love in the future?

I really hope this helps, at least a little :smile:

thank uu <33
Original post by twkh
thank uu <33

No problem!

Quick Reply

Latest