The Student Room Group

Is $70/£70 for a video game too much?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lhh2003
Or, 6 boxes of crispy cremes..

*Krispy Kreme.

I reckon 10 of them should do OP enough doughnut damage. 😊
Plus doctors get paid outrageous amounts in the US so you'd be rich AF and wouldn't care about how much video games cost.
Original post by CatGentleman
Plus doctors get paid outrageous amounts in the US so you'd be rich AF and wouldn't care about how much video games cost.

The problem is getting their past the USMLEs..
Original post by lhh2003
The problem is getting their past the USMLEs..

Worth though. It's ridiculous how much money, e.g., surgeons make over there.
I think that's the case with most jobs in the US. Longer hours in general. Still, you can be a millionaire easily in a few years as a surgeon there.
Honestly I wouldn't pay more than £35 for a game, no matter how good or long it lasts
Yeah but even so, lifetime of having a great paying, emotionally rewarding (even if stressful) and high status job. Worth. I assume you're not as well paid being a UK doctor (if you're, PM me and be friends :biggrin:), but I'd think the satisfaction you get from helping people ALONE is worth it.
260K dollars (like 180k pounds) is the average salary for a US neurologist. So minimum, that.

J/k.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I know you don't. Still among the most if not most emotionally rewarding, high status and socially useful jobs. You're lucky AF.
It depends how many hours you get with the game and the quality. A game that takes 100 hours to complete but is mundane isn’t worth it, a game that is amazing but can be completed in 5-6 hours, also not worth it.

So to say just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s not worth it. That being said, cheap doesn’t mean crap either!
Sry man, Idk why u would be single, girls are insane I think :biggrin:.

You're still lucky. Lots of things could've happened that could've prevented you from becoming a doctor. Illnesses, family trouble, etc, things outside of your control which definitely affect how one's life goes. Early age is extremely important too.

I am not minimising the sacrifices at all, I don't mean like you're lucky just like a person who wins the lottery is lucky.

Anyway I destroyed this thread. sry op.
Reply 31
Those were the days.
UK band 9 consultants ; well seasoned brain and maxillofacial surgeons well into their 50s, at most earn £100K a year. In the $160,000 is what a family doctor gets paid who is in their early 30s, as.a starting salary...

Consultants in the US are easily making at least $1 million a year. 10x the salary for 1.5x the hours is a VERY fair deal to me.
You told me that 6/7 are rejected for neurosurgery training. Is that not competitive ?

And true XD this is very off topic :biggrin:
Original post by ANM775
If you haven't heard, basically the prices have been jacked up for this new generation with new AAA titles costing around 70 at launch

Is this too much for a game?
(the playstation boss doesn't seem to think so)
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/70-ps5-game-pricing-is-fair-argues-playstation-boss/

What do you think?

I think so, yes. It's getting too expensive for people to enjoy gaming now. I would not pay more than £50 for a video game personally. Even if that means waiting until it drops in price or buying second hand.
Reply 35
Original post by Scienceisgood
It depends how many hours you get with the game and the quality. A game that takes 100 hours to complete but is mundane isn’t worth it, a game that is amazing but can be completed in 5-6 hours, also not worth it.

So to say just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it’s not worth it. That being said, cheap doesn’t mean crap either!

Yeah, totally agree. I'd pay 70 quid to play RDR2 for the first time again, hands down, bcos it's long and amazing. Something like ghostrunner, it's great but short and not worth AAA prices (which tbf it isn't but I needed an example).
Really? I remember the last time they were £70. Co-incidentally, it was the year you were born.
Reply 37
Nah
If you're referring to recent PS5 games, it's nothing new. I remember when Nintendo64 launched in 1997 the games reached £60-70 in Currys stores, etc.
£40-50 is the max I'd pay and even then it'd have to be a game I'm dying to play. I get most of my games used from CeX for like half the price.

Quick Reply

Latest