The Student Room Group

Mr Potato Head loses "Mr" Title. Are snowflakes to blame?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Admit-One
Why would the trans community need to feel safer for it to be a positive change?

Well, they hypothetically don't feel included because the brand name "Mr Potato Head" has a male title in it, so I assumed based on that that they don't feel included in society, thus making them feel like vulnerable outcasts. Isn't that the entire basis of the move from Hasbro?

Original post by Admit-One

Eg. The Robertson’s jam ‘Golly’ character wasn’t responsible for any hate crimes but retiring him was a welcome move.

I don't see this as a valid equivalence. The golly character was discontinued under the pretense that it's an anti-black caricature, whereas Mr Potato Head has been changed under the pretense that trans people feel excluded.
Original post by DiddyDec
Why do you care? Are those missing two letters going to make any difference?

Next time an FTM transgender gets triggered after being called "she", I'll look forward to seeing what happens when you say "Why do you care? Is that extra S going to make any difference?"
Original post by DSilva
Can you give one example of anyone on the left calling for or campaigning for me potato heads name to be changed? Go on, just one will do...

I don't have to, because the reason they have done this isn't because of those on the right of the political spectrum, it's because of those on the left. A few points if I may, because I wasn't going to bother responding to your post because I guarantee that no matter what I type your retort will be something along the lines of 'so you can't give an example then.'

Anywho, to my two main points. The first is that as I've said, this has been done because of whingers on the left. The right are busy dealing with issues such as Covid, or Brexit, while the left get triggered by a potato. You don't necessarily need to have 'campaigning' for it, because the people that are stupid enough to take offence at a potato being male or female, rather than whatever the fashionable gender of the day is, are exclusively left wing. It's exactly the same people that took offence at Uncle Bens' or Aunt Jemima.

Which brings me on to my second point, if anyone on the left is actually again stupid enough to believe that the renaming of a potato, or the rebranding of packet rice or syrup does actually anything for social equality, gender equality or race equality then they need sectioned, because it does absolutely nothing except piss a few people off.

I personally, am not bothered. The way I see it, we on the right are busy dealing with the pandemic while the left get a potato gender changed.

I should add that your support for this, rather than indifference to this is precisely the reason Labour are ****ed. As long as Labour have nutjobs in their party that celebrate meaningless **** like this they'll never get the working class vote. Laughable really.
Reply 43
Original post by Joel 96
I never claimed that they did. I can't imagine anyone complaining about such a thing.

I don't care about ruining Hasbro, they can make any change they want, no matter how ridiculous.

I just find it amusing how you're so ardent when replying to people who comment on the matter. If you think the change is a good thing, then just explain why you think so, rather than accusing people of being outraged when nobody really cares that much.

If no one cares about it, there wouldn't be a thread in here with people complaining about it.
Reply 44
Original post by imlikeahermit
I don't have to, because the reason they have done this isn't because of those on the right of the political spectrum, it's because of those on the left. A few points if I may, because I wasn't going to bother responding to your post because I guarantee that no matter what I type your retort will be something along the lines of 'so you can't give an example then.'

Anywho, to my two main points. The first is that as I've said, this has been done because of whingers on the left. The right are busy dealing with issues such as Covid, or Brexit, while the left get triggered by a potato. You don't necessarily need to have 'campaigning' for it, because the people that are stupid enough to take offence at a potato being male or female, rather than whatever the fashionable gender of the day is, are exclusively left wing. It's exactly the same people that took offence at Uncle Bens' or Aunt Jemima.

Which brings me on to my second point, if anyone on the left is actually again stupid enough to believe that the renaming of a potato, or the rebranding of packet rice or syrup does actually anything for social equality, gender equality or race equality then they need sectioned, because it does absolutely nothing except piss a few people off.

I personally, am not bothered. The way I see it, we on the right are busy dealing with the pandemic while the left get a potato gender changed.

I should add that your support for this, rather than indifference to this is precisely the reason Labour are ****ed. As long as Labour have nutjobs in their party that celebrate meaningless **** like this they'll never get the working class vote. Laughable really.

That's a long way of saying 'no'.
Original post by DSilva
That's a long way of saying 'no'.

Called it.
To be honest I don't think snowflakes are to blame for this one. They sell Mr. Potato Head, Mrs. Potato head and plan to introduce other potato head family members too. Since they're diversifying the brand it makes sense to name it after the family rather than just one character. I don't see any reason to think anyone was getting triggered by the existing name.

It's a bit like how J.K. Rowling now calls her franchise "Wizarding World" instead of just "Harry Potter". Because now it's about more than just that one Harry Potter story.
Original post by DSilva
If no one cares about it, there wouldn't be a thread in here with people complaining about it.

Well, okay. If your criteria for caring about something simply requires you to make a thread or post online, then okay, I care about this issue.
So now your immediate response is something like, "DoN't YoU RiGhT wInGeRs HaVe BeTtEr ThInGs To Do?", right?

In the real world, sometimes something amusing happens in the news, and people comment on it. That's it.
Called it.

Sorry you wrote all that for a measly response.
Reply 49
Original post by Joel 96
Sorry you wrote all that for a measly response.

Given how busy he told me the right are with fighting Covid, I thought I'd let him get on with it 😊.
(edited 3 years ago)

The left have become tyrants. They think you shouldn't be allowed to disagree on anything apart from pizza toppings lol.
The concept of being non-binary is very sensitive to those who are non-binary, I know from my friends as I have non-binary friends who are wishing that legally you don't have to identify your gender. I'm sure my friends would appreciate this!
Original post by Cyberfan123
The concept of being non-binary is very sensitive to those who are non-binary, I know from my friends as I have non-binary friends who are wishing that legally you don't have to identify your gender. I'm sure my friends would appreciate this!

If they’re getting upset about a potato being either male or female I’d say there’s other things to worry about.
Original post by tazarooni89
Next time an FTM transgender gets triggered after being called "she", I'll look forward to seeing what happens when you say "Why do you care? Is that extra S going to make any difference?"

It is an inanimate object :facepalm2:
If they’re getting upset about a potato being either male or female I’d say there’s other things to worry about.

hahaha, this made me laugh

but erm no seriously, something that seems trivial can bring out awareness of such a sensitive matter... making it more memorable in fact
Original post by DiddyDec
It is an inanimate object :facepalm2:

I don’t think that it’s the actual name of the inanimate object that anyone cares about.

People are more averse to the general “woke culture” that seems to be arising in society, whereby the feminist and LGBT movements seem to take offence at pretty much everything, even the most minor of details, and society and large institutions have to go out of their way to accommodate their feelings, or risk being “cancelled”.

The question of “why do you care so much about such inconsequential things” can be applied both ways.
Original post by tazarooni89
I don’t think that it’s the actual name of the inanimate object that anyone cares about.

People are more averse to the general “woke culture” that seems to be arising in society, whereby the feminist and LGBT movements seem to take offence at pretty much everything, even the most minor of details, and society and large institutions have to go out of their way to accommodate their feelings, or risk being “cancelled”.

The question of “why do you care so much about such inconsequential things” can be applied both ways.

Is there actually any evidence of someone calling for the name to be changed?
Reply 57
Original post by ANM775
A gender-neutral makeover will see Mr Potato Head become the toy formerly known as Mr Potato Head.
The classic toy's branding is being "reimagined for the modern consumer", its US maker Hasbro announced on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56200811

*Why have they suddenly decided to drop the Mr ?

Society is getting really ridiculous when you can't even call a male a "Mr" through fear of the gender politics in that offending someone......

Ironically, and as expected, it is the "right-thinking, common-sensers" who are crying and whinging about something that no one else gives a **** about.
There are usually more people being offended about people being offended, than there ever were people who were actually offended by something in the first place.
Reply 58

Who is getting upset about potato gender classification, exactly? Because so far, it seems to be only the permanently offended of the right.
Who cares? It's an anthropomorphic potato that most people only know about from a film franchise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending