The Student Room Group

What does it take to be a good leader?

What do you think?
Original post by nnth
What do you think?

Depends what you want to achieve, why and also what you've got to work with at the time.

I also think that whilst there are definitely good and bad leaders people should acknowledge that people have different strengths and weaknesses and that somebody's strength might also be their undoing.

For instance it was seen in 2016 that one of Theresa Mays strengths was her being stubborn and tough. Yet those strengths Played against her and by 2018 she became a joke as the useless "strong and stable" PM that was anything but.

For me personally I think one big attribute is being able to project a vision of where you want to take the country and taking a side where it matters rather than trying to appeal to everyone. To that extent I think people such as Margaret Thatcher and Jeremy Corbyn were good leaders in this area despite their strong differences in success and beliefs.
Being able to command people successfully is probably the most important factor in whether someone is a 'good' leader (in a literal sense).
Research everything that Boris Johnson has done over the last 18 months, and do the exact opposite of that. Apart from the vaccine rollout.
Original post by imlikeahermit
Research everything that Boris Johnson has done over the last 18 months, and do the exact opposite of that. Apart from the vaccine rollout and delivering brexit

Fixed that for you.
Original post by MatureStudent37
Fixed that for you.

No you haven’t. Dragging this country off an economic cliff in the middle of a global pandemic is not something to be proud of. Only an idiot would think it is.
No you haven’t. Dragging this country off an economic cliff in the middle of a global pandemic is not something to be proud of. Only an idiot would think it is.

Would’ve been done a few years earlier had Ms Miller not got involved.

Still, never mind. It’s stopped the media blowing any minor transitional issues out of all proportion.

Remember how they got really upset when Dover didn’t become a massive dogging site?

Remember when they said we’d struggle in a global pandemic outside of the EU?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2zJ8vaB5jo
Reply 7
Fixed that for you.

Ah, our resident 'floating voter' waxing lyrical about the conservatives again.

Funny how your critical faculties seem to disappear when it comes to scrutinising the Tories.
(edited 3 years ago)
Research everything that Boris Johnson has done over the last 18 months, and do the exact opposite of that. Apart from the vaccine rollout, delivering Brexit, sacking those 21 disloyal MPs, wiping the floor with Labour, standing up to anti white anti British forces and one or two other good ideas

@MatureStudent37

Fixed that for both of you
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by DSilva

Funny how your critical faculties seem to disappear when it comes to scrutinising the Tories.

It isn’t really scrutinising the Tories. It’s questioning the belief system of white middle class people who read the Guardian.
Reply 10
It isn’t really scrutinising the Tories. It’s questioning the belief system of white middle class people who read the Guardian.

If you think @imlikeahermit is a middle class guardian reader, you really need to wobble your head. He's as conservative as they come.

You haven't changed in 5 years. I remember back then you spent most of your time parroting the Conservative Party line, all while claiming you were a 'floating voter'.

Why don't you ever 'question the belief system' of the conservatives?
Original post by DSilva
If you think @imlikeahermit is a middle class guardian reader, you really need to wobble your head. He's as conservative as they come.

You haven't changed in 5 years. I remember back then you spent most of your time parroting the Conservative Party line, all while claiming you were a 'floating voter'.

The only party line I like is anybody but the SNP.
Reply 12

Would’ve been done a few years earlier had Ms Miller not got involved.

Still, never mind. It’s stopped the media blowing any minor transitional issues out of all proportion.

Remember how they got really upset when Dover didn’t become a massive dogging site?

Remember when they said we’d struggle in a global pandemic outside of the EU?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2zJ8vaB5jo

Original post by DSilva

Original post by Starship Trooper
@MatureStudent37

Fixed that for both of you

Original post by DSilva

The only party line I like is anybody but the SNP.

:topic:

Anyway... I know I posted this in the politics section, but generally speaking, what do you think makes a good leader? How do you differentiate between a leader and a standard worker?
I think you need to differentiate between an effective leader and an effective manager. In my experiance, management can be taught, and you can learn to understand how to manage people, situations, and the like well.. but pure leadership, the ability to inspire, get people to respect you and follow you? I think that's something far more innate that is very hard to learn.

May was an effective manager, but an awful leader. Boris is a great leader but an awful manager.

I'm not even a big Boris fan. He would never get my vote. But if there is one thing you can't deny its that he knows how to inspire people and get people to follow him. Amazingly so, even despite what ever mistakes he makes, he inspires people to support him.
Original post by nnth
:topic:

Anyway... I know I posted this in the politics section, but generally speaking, what do you think makes a good leader? How do you differentiate between a leader and a standard worker?

Difficult question to answer.

a good leader doesn’t have to be the person in charge. I’ve been told I’m a good leader, but I’m an atrocious manager.

a good leader needs to see and know what the objective is. Focus on achieving that objective, and encourage others to achieve it.

a leader should be honest, show integrity, focus, dedication. A degree of openness, emotional intelligence , combined with a degree of ruthlessness. (You’re not going to keep everybody happy) Hard but fair.

a degree of forgiveness, magnanimity and respect.

When you think you know it all. You haven’t.
Reply 15
Difficult question to answer.

a good leader doesn’t have to be the person in charge. I’ve been told I’m a good leader, but I’m an atrocious manager.

a good leader needs to see and know what the objective is. Focus on achieving that objective, and encourage others to achieve it.

a leader should be honest, show integrity, focus, dedication. A degree of openness, emotional intelligence , combined with a degree of ruthlessness. (You’re not going to keep everybody happy) Hard but fair.

a degree of forgiveness, magnanimity and respect.

When you think you know it all. You haven’t.

Curiosity too?
Original post by nnth
Curiosity too?

Possibly.

Everything depends on the situation.

Apologies for the non gender neutral terminology.

Right man. Right place. Right time.

There was a famous Prussian staff officer called Von Moltke. He described four types of officers.

I’d class the ‘curiosity’ could come under the ‘energetic’ classification.

http://old-soldier-colonel.blogspot.com/2011/07/field-marshal-moltkes-four-types-of.html?m=1

Generally, good leaders will surround themselves with good people. The personality traits of the team comes into play. The good leader will coordinate those character traits.

If ever you do some form of command task as part of job recruitment. You’ll see that putting 6 leaders together who are all simultaneously trying to demonstrate leadership skills is the key to disaster.

You need to know when to step up and lead. When to take a back seat and support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending