The Student Room Group

Bio, Chem, Maths, and Psychology/Politics - HELP!

Hi everyone - I was just feeling conflicted on what to choose for my A-level options, the form closes soon and I have no clue which one I want to do. Originally I was sure about a career in medicine, however I'm also interested in other (very different) career paths.
I'm definitely taking biology, chemistry and mathematics for my A-Levels, which allows me to go into medicine/science. However recently I have been interested by the economics/politics sector also. At first I really wanted to take psychology as my 4th, I think I would really enjoy it - but now I'm wondering whether I should pick politics. With psychology as my 4th, it would allow me to go into STEM/medicine as originally planned, but with politics I could go into STEM/medicine/economics/politics, according to The Uni Guide. Obviously the second option is much wider, but I'm not sure whether I would enjoy politics A-Level as much. Considering I'm not a fan of history or English either I'm literally clueless.

So finally, which subject combo is better: bio/chem/maths/psych, or bio/chem/maths/politics? Thank you xxx
I would say bio/chem/maths/psych merge better together but if you're interested in politics, there's no harm in doing that combo. For medicine, most just want chemistry and biology :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by myow
I would say bio/chem/maths/psych merge better together but if you're interested in politics, there's no harm in doing that combo. For medicine, most just want chemistry and biology :smile:

yesss thank u :smile: i dont know whether my sudden interest in politics is like 'a phase' or something - but with the bio/chem/maths/politics combo the subject range i can study later on is way larger so im ns!
Original post by sixthformissue
yesss thank u :smile: i dont know whether my sudden interest in politics is like 'a phase' or something - but with the bio/chem/maths/politics combo the subject range i can study later on is way larger so im ns!

3 A-levels are more than fine but if you're really interested in politics and feel you can do all 4, go for it!
Reply 4
Original post by myow
3 A-levels are more than fine but if you're really interested in politics and feel you can do all 4, go for it!

haha my school doesn't let you do 3 you have to do 4 - its so hard bc i dont know whether i want to do politics or medicine and theyre so different aswell! omg
haha my school doesn't let you do 3 you have to do 4 - its so hard bc i dont know whether i want to do politics or medicine and theyre so different aswell! omg

oh gosh, that's tough! Like I said before, the 3/4th A-level can be completely non-science related (unless you're applying to Cambridge, I think). Go with what you feel comfortable with. Like you said medicine and politics are so different but both your combos (to me) look more suited to medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by myow
oh gosh, that's tough! Like I said before, the 3/4th A-level can be completely non-science related (unless you're applying to Cambridge, I think). Go with what you feel comfortable with. Like you said medicine and politics are so different but both your combos (to me) look more suited to medicine.

thank you so much <3
hey, just to say I studied Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at sixth form and then Biochemistry at uni and now I work in the civil service, so it's possible to go into politics/related sectors even without a background in studying it!

I would have a look at a few possible unis you might be interested in and look at the entry requirements for Politics and Economics degrees - a lot of them don't actually require you to have studied the subjects at A-Level. If that's the case for the unis you'd want to go to, then just pick which A-Level you think you'd most enjoy out of Psychology and Politics. :smile:
Hi everyone - I was just feeling conflicted on what to choose for my A-level options, the form closes soon and I have no clue which one I want to do. Originally I was sure about a career in medicine, however I'm also interested in other (very different) career paths.
I'm definitely taking biology, chemistry and mathematics for my A-Levels, which allows me to go into medicine/science. However recently I have been interested by the economics/politics sector also. At first I really wanted to take psychology as my 4th, I think I would really enjoy it - but now I'm wondering whether I should pick politics. With psychology as my 4th, it would allow me to go into STEM/medicine as originally planned, but with politics I could go into STEM/medicine/economics/politics, according to The Uni Guide. Obviously the second option is much wider, but I'm not sure whether I would enjoy politics A-Level as much. Considering I'm not a fan of history or English either I'm literally clueless.

So finally, which subject combo is better: bio/chem/maths/psych, or bio/chem/maths/politics? Thank you xxx

Medicine only needs two sciences - ideally bio and chem, though not necessarily. Maths there would be great for other sciences though, and economics.

Psychology isn't really desired by medicine at all. In fact, its the subject with the worst correlation in terms of getting an offer on this small data study. Its also not at all relevant to other STEM subjects - I would not view it as in line with your aims there at all. What it might be though is enjoyable, so there's that.

Are you interested in a career in politics or degree? A career really has no specific degree requirements. Degree - well which politics degrees require politics A-level? I suggest you search a good 10 unis that you might be interested in to find out what subjects they want for their politics degrees. I did a random google and found that UCL has no subject requirements, and Oxford had maths as recommended for its PPE degree, nothing else. I suspect that's a common pattern and if so, you can again drop the notion that politics A-level is useful to your aims.

Hope that helps

Hi, I do biology, chemistry and psychology A levels. I may be biased, but I would definitely recommend doing psychology. I have found it very interesting, and it unifies concepts from my other subjects whilst relating it to 'real life' scenarios rather than just stating theory in the way that biology and chemistry do. It is also useful to me to have an essay based subject as I now understand how to use research to evaluate theories and do extended writing to a time limit. I am going on to do biomedical science in September, so I think psychology has served me well! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by lucymellor
hey, just to say I studied Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology at sixth form and then Biochemistry at uni and now I work in the civil service, so it's possible to go into politics/related sectors even without a background in studying it!

I would have a look at a few possible unis you might be interested in and look at the entry requirements for Politics and Economics degrees - a lot of them don't actually require you to have studied the subjects at A-Level. If that's the case for the unis you'd want to go to, then just pick which A-Level you think you'd most enjoy out of Psychology and Politics. :smile:

omg i think you just made my mind up - i know i would probably enjoy psych more, thank u soo much :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by nexttime
Medicine only needs two sciences - ideally bio and chem, though not necessarily. Maths there would be great for other sciences though, and economics.

Psychology isn't really desired by medicine at all. In fact, its the subject with the worst correlation in terms of getting an offer on this small data study. Its also not at all relevant to other STEM subjects - I would not view it as in line with your aims there at all. What it might be though is enjoyable, so there's that.

Are you interested in a career in politics or degree? A career really has no specific degree requirements. Degree - well which politics degrees require politics A-level? I suggest you search a good 10 unis that you might be interested in to find out what subjects they want for their politics degrees. I did a random google and found that UCL has no subject requirements, and Oxford had maths as recommended for its PPE degree, nothing else. I suspect that's a common pattern and if so, you can again drop the notion that politics A-level is useful to your aims.

Hope that helps

thank you so much, yes that really helps esp. bc im looking into ucl at the minute :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by lizzieparker21
Hi, I do biology, chemistry and psychology A levels. I may be biased, but I would definitely recommend doing psychology. I have found it very interesting, and it unifies concepts from my other subjects whilst relating it to 'real life' scenarios rather than just stating theory in the way that biology and chemistry do. It is also useful to me to have an essay based subject as I now understand how to use research to evaluate theories and do extended writing to a time limit. I am going on to do biomedical science in September, so I think psychology has served me well! :smile:

thank you so much! honestly i think i'm going to for psychology - doesn't seem too much of a big deal whether or not i do psych or politics in the future so i'll just pick the one i'll enjoy more! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest