The Student Room Group

Ocr alevel computer science

Hello,
For my a-level computer science programming project, i want to incorporate the theme of economics into it. I have a rough idea of what i want to do but I'm not sure how to show it as a project. Please can someone give a programming project ideas that is linked with economics and that is easy to carry out.
This is for OCR.
Thank you in advance!
Using a visual interface, you could have the user click on different countries and be able to look at the economic activity of each country. You could make it a live tracker, so it tracks the activity every so often and updates.
Reply 2
Original post by Toast210
Using a visual interface, you could have the user click on different countries and be able to look at the economic activity of each country. You could make it a live tracker, so it tracks the activity every so often and updates.

That's a v good idea!
Could I also do that for companies and track their activity on the stock market or will that become too complex to carry out?
Original post by vickymads
That's a v good idea!
Could I also do that for companies and track their activity on the stock market or will that become too complex to carry out?

The more the better. If it does end up becoming to complex, you can still mention it in your documentation. Be creative and try writing down as many ideas. I think the main problem will be time, so try and make a timetable on how many hours you wanna work on your project each day.
Reply 4
The more the better. If it does end up becoming to complex, you can still mention it in your documentation. Be creative and try writing down as many ideas. I think the main problem will be time, so try and make a timetable on how many hours you wanna work on your project each day.

How many hours should you work on the project per day? Just so i can get a rough idea.
And also i didn't do computing at gcse so do you think i'll be able to cope with it.
How many hours should you work on the project per day? Just so i can get a rough idea.
And also i didn't do computing at gcse so do you think i'll be able to cope with it.

You will be able to cope with it despite not doing GCSE! For this project, it's all about time management. Regarding the hours, this type of project isn't something you can do everyday. I would think about setting targets at specific times rather than a set time for working. For example, write down something like "I want to finish X Y Z by the end of this month" or "I want to finish this part of my project by the end of the week". In my opinion, it's much more flexible and less exhausting if you just work on it when you can, rather than trying to cram it in to a schedule. Just set regular weekly or monthly targets and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!
You will be able to cope with it despite not doing GCSE! For this project, it's all about time management. Regarding the hours, this type of project isn't something you can do everyday. I would think about setting targets at specific times rather than a set time for working. For example, write down something like "I want to finish X Y Z by the end of this month" or "I want to finish this part of my project by the end of the week". In my opinion, it's much more flexible and less exhausting if you just work on it when you can, rather than trying to cram it in to a schedule. Just set regular weekly or monthly targets and I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck!

Do u recommend the btec subsidiary diploma computer science with a level graphics and a level media for a career in advertising?? Even tho I haven’t done computerscience at gcse!?
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Do u recommend the btec subsidiary diploma computer science with a level graphics and a level media for a career in advertising?? Even tho I haven’t done computerscience at gcse!?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, (I don't know the BTEC that we'll) but you learn some theory and do programming. You should be able to do both without the GCSE however from what I know, it doesn't really tie into advertising.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, (I don't know the BTEC that we'll) but you learn some theory and do programming. You should be able to do both without the GCSE however from what I know, it doesn't really tie into advertising.

Really? I looked at the content list on the coulsdon sixth form college website and it includes web design, business uses of social media, graphics and animation out if the 7 topics
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Really? I looked at the content list on the coulsdon sixth form college website and it includes web design, business uses of social media, graphics and animation out if the 7 topics

Yep you are 100% right sorry. There are a few useful topics for advertising. You also should be able to do these topics without GCSE knowledge.
Yep you are 100% right sorry. There are a few useful topics for advertising. You also should be able to do these topics without GCSE knowledge.

Ok thanks!! :smile: also do u think this cs course is more beneficial than business a level/btec
Original post by 🧡Hajera
Ok thanks!! :smile: also do u think this cs course is more beneficial than business a level/btec

Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of business to tell you. I'm sure each have their benefits and if you look at the specification of each course, I'm sure you'll be able to make a decision on which is more beneficial.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of business to tell you. I'm sure each have their benefits and if you look at the specification of each course, I'm sure you'll be able to make a decision on which is more beneficial.

Ok thanks for the advise ☺️
Reply 13
Original post by 🧡Hajera

Yes I think computer science is more beneficial than business. But it depends what you want to apply for at uni. Business isnt really needed for uni if you ask me. It might make a easy level but its deffo not better than computer science looking at the career wise.
Reply 14
hey! i noticed nobody has told you this yet so I will since I've literally just finished my OCR comp sci project a few weeks ago and got an A* on it - while the physical program does need to have sufficient A-level complexity, you're not actually marked on the program at all. All of the marks come from the project write-up, and when you hand the project in you only hand in this write-up.
I'd definitely recommend keeping a project diary which you fill in each time you work on the project, whether that's the coding or the actual write-up, and make note of any errors you encounter, even screenshot some of these because you'll need them for the project evaluation (my teacher didn't tell us this so the only evidence I had of iterative testing was the fact I'd written down the errors I'd encountered and how I'd fixed them).
Oh also you don't necessarily need to work on the coding every day, I know I only did a few days work on it every couple weeks. You just need to keep some sort of plan, like a gannt chart, where you say you'll spend so many weeks/months doing the development of the program, and then just try and get it done within this time frame, rather than saying you'll do like 5 hours a week or something. If you keep a project diary you'll write down the days, or hours, you worked on it there, and that'll cover your time management marks for the project. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes I think computer science is more beneficial than business. But it depends what you want to apply for at uni. Business isnt really needed for uni if you ask me. It might make a easy level but its deffo not better than computer science looking at the career wise.

Okay thanks :smile: btw I’m talking about the btec (worth 2 Alevels) not the a level

Quick Reply