The Student Room Group

The Evolution of EGB- a year 11 GYG

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNotoriousEGB
Again, do not stress this is something each and every student goes through including myself , as far as I know, every friend I have is feeling unproductive, dont let it weigh down on you.

Yeah, but it means that now I have a lot of work to catch up on. I'll try not to let it weigh down on me though.
Hey guys I am here to to tell you that the ABSOLUTE LEGEND we know as mr Salles has released a free online textbook covering GCSE english language and literature which you can sign up for in the description of his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgeymycH4_8

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!
Original post by StarshineDiamond
This was more than helpful! I don't really use social media so I don't have an Instagram account (I'm more of a YouTube person) but I'll check out the youtube channels that you recommended. Also same, I only learned about the Stonewall uprising through a YouTube video that I came across one day. School doesn't really teach things like that and even as a History student, we mostly just stick to the curriculum. The curriculum of course is British history (Elizabethan England, Crime and Punishment in Britain over the years and Weimar and Nazi Germany). The only time we really learn about other countries or events is if it comes up in one of our topics.

I agree with you when you say we never really hear about Britain when it comes to the civil rights movement. Even the Windrush that affected so many black lives in Britain and impacted how Britain was formed and is today we've never spoken about in school. I learnt a bit more about the Windrush generation through a book that I read (I don't remember the name) but it was from the perspective of a young Jamaican girl who ends up in Britain during the times of the Windrush and the racism/discrimination she faces along the way. We focus so much on America - especially with the Black Lives Matter movement happening - that we tend to forget that Britain has its own dark past. Nationalism and the fact that its British people forming the curriculum means that we only really learn and hear from biased perspectives.

I actually just searched Stephen Lawrence and Cherry Groce and I'm surprised because this has never come up before as in no one around me has ever mentioned their stories or spoken about this before. I never knew that the police were so blatantly incompetent due to their racist bias. It just goes to show how seemingly obvious racism in Britain can be whilst also being subtle. I agree with your point about feminism - it has mainly been taken over by white, cis women when in reality women of colour have to deal with both racism and sexism and black lgbtq+ women who face to face homophobia/transphobia on top of all of that.

I'll try and read the books you recommended - with libraries being closed it has been harder for me to read lately :frown:

Im glad it helped!
Hey guys I am here to to tell you that the ABSOLUTE LEGEND we know as mr Salles has released a free online textbook covering GCSE english language and literature which you can sign up for in the description of his video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgeymycH4_8

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!

Omg, I just signed up. Thank you very much!
I'm so glad it has Macbeth and An Inspector Calls :bawling: I don't know what I would do without this, again thank you for posting it on here.
Hey guys!

After a day of online lessons (and a heart-stopping English language paper 1 assessment) I have just beem completing....

MY TO-DO LIST
-practice simltaneous equations
-Eat cake
-Duolingo
-violin practice
-corbett maths five a day
-yoga
-Making notes from Mr salles

so far I have been taking it easy after a very hectic assessment. Also my violin teacher told me that I can finally move up to grade 5 :nyan:
Also, I would like to add that eating cake should always be the core part of your to do list.

Weird Question: One of my goals this lockdown was to get my middle splits, since I got my front and standing splits last lockdown since I have the time. I still cant seem to shift the final few centimetres down, so I was wondering if anyone has tips?
Right. Ok. I have just watched Mr salles latest video, appropriately titled 'GCSEs just got weird'.

We have from March until June the 18th when teachers will give us our grades. We have that time.To.Do.The.Best.Work.Possible.

To be absolutely honest, I didnt understand everything. But I at least understood that.

. CUE THE SUITS THEMETUNE

(Im feeling melodramatic today)

That is why for march I am making a....

GLOW UP PLAN

-I will set myself the challenge to give up social media, netflix, etc for a month (ill explain this below) to improve my concentration, because the amount of screen time I have been having lately is getting ridiculous.

-I will churn out two practice papers a week, to send to the corresponding teachers to show my progress

(I will update this since I dont have many ideas atm as Im writing this)

In the meantime, sayonara peeps

Research done by the University of Tokyo found that the more a person consumes multiple types of media, the fewer brain cells there were in the anterior cingulate cortex. This is the part of the brain responsible for attention span and moral deliberation.

According to Nicholas Carr, a leading researcher on the effect of internet use on our brains, when we scroll through online news, our brains are being rewired to adapt to “cursory reading, hurried and distracted thinking, and superficial learning.” So, the neuronal circuits necessary for deep thought and careful reading will dwindle.

I find neurobiology very interesting, and I thought I could see how long I can last
Right. Ok. I have just watched Mr salles latest video, appropriately titled 'GCSEs just got weird'.

We have from March until June the 18th when teachers will give us our grades. We have that time.To.Do.The.Best.Work.Possible.

To be absolutely honest, I didnt understand everything. But I at least understood that.

. CUE THE SUITS THEMETUNE

(Im feeling melodramatic today)

That is why for march I am making a....

GLOW UP PLAN

-I will set myself the challenge to give up social media, netflix, etc for a month (ill explain this below) to improve my concentration, because the amount of screen time I have been having lately is getting ridiculous.

-I will churn out two practice papers a week, to send to the corresponding teachers to show my progress

(I will update this since I dont have many ideas atm as Im writing this)

In the meantime, sayonara peeps

Research done by the University of Tokyo found that the more a person consumes multiple types of media, the fewer brain cells there were in the anterior cingulate cortex. This is the part of the brain responsible for attention span and moral deliberation.

According to Nicholas Carr, a leading researcher on the effect of internet use on our brains, when we scroll through online news, our brains are being rewired to adapt to “cursory reading, hurried and distracted thinking, and superficial learning.” So, the neuronal circuits necessary for deep thought and careful reading will dwindle.

I find neurobiology very interesting, and I thought I could see how long I can last

Oooh I like the idea of a glow up plan. Now that we have a sense of where we're going in terms of being graded I'm also going to try my best to do every work to the best of my ability. Also a social media detox sounds good - I don't really have social media except maybe YouTube but I might start limiting the time I spend on YouTube as well. Do you prefer the teacher assessments or would you have liked to do the actual exams (if it were possible)?
Oooh I like the idea of a glow up plan. Now that we have a sense of where we're going in terms of being graded I'm also going to try my best to do every work to the best of my ability. Also a social media detox sounds good - I don't really have social media except maybe YouTube but I might start limiting the time I spend on YouTube as well. Do you prefer the teacher assessments or would you have liked to do the actual exams (if it were possible)?

Yes I would definitely challenge everyone here to make a plan! Personally I am still confused, as apparrently the government will give schools papers to do after easter, but it is the schools choice?? Personally, I hope I can sit some exams, and have them taken into account the teachers assessment, but I wouldnt want to do the'actual' exams.What about you?
Yes I would definitely challenge everyone here to make a plan! Personally I am still confused, as apparrently the government will give schools papers to do after easter, but it is the schools choice?? Personally, I hope I can sit some exams, and have them taken into account the teachers assessment, but I wouldnt want to do the'actual' exams.What about you?

I would actually prefer teacher assessments just because I find formal exams to be very daunting and scary - like in my december mocks I would have breakdowns before every paper. However, I understand that we still need to do tests in exam conditions and whichever direction my school chooses to take (in terms of the optional papers or more assessments) I would just have to suck it up and do it anyways. Either way, I just kind of wish I had started preparing much earlier because I still feel uncertain of my abilities and I struggle a lot with time management so I'm pretty much screwed either way. Like, last summer (of yr 10) I was so prepared and I was just kind of like yeah when I get to yr 11 I'll start revising immediately, I'll do this and do that but when yr 11 came time flew by sooooo quick. Like I'm pretty sure from September to December it felt like 5 seconds and before I knew it I was doing mocks. Even after mocks, when I tried to revise properly I would struggle with time management and procrastination so now two months later I'm here feeling like I haven't even done anything this year (sorry for the mini rant btw).
So, first of all, sorry for the break in my responses. Suddenly it has been feeling really hard to process whatever it is us GCSE students are going through.Still have no clue.I have also been feeling a lack of motivation, in the mornings especially, where the single thought of 'what happens if I take an exta minute revolves through my brain. School is not exciting for me personally. I cannot study things in depth, and properly savour the subject. We learn a few sentences, and just move on, not even letting a spark of passion through the gap.Grades have also been making me feel anxious lately, with the reverberating anxiety of "what happens if..." and "I will probably fail". I have high aspirations, but I constantly feel as if Im not doing enough, or not setting my standards of work high enough tho achieve them meaning an additional 'these grades will not let mi into..." is thrown into the mix as well. Lockdown also feels like stagnation, but to be honest I feel like that in school as well. No one seems to even want to find passion in the work we do.It is so repetitive that is a fight to stay awake some times, let alone actually be interested.Some teachers seem to have given up hope altogether.

Anyway, I hope you guys find this relatable.Even if it is not very cheerful or heartwarming. Today I am going to be giving tips on getting up early in the morning.I would just like to say, that some of us are night owls, some of us are morning larks.Personally, I cannot concentrate at night, and find the day quite draining, meaning I prefer to get up earlier instead, otherwise I feel unorganised and in a constant state of being late for something or other. You may see videos like 'how I get up at 5 AM every day', but this is not for everyone.Whether you are a morning or night person goes as deep as your genetic code. Anyway....

EARLY MORNINGS-HOW TO COPE
-first of all, the best way to get up in the morning is a good alarm.Make it as loud and annoying as possible- although not on your phone if you can help it.Next, but it on the other side of the room. That way you have to jump out of bed and walk to turn the goddamn thing off.
-Next, make your bed.Not only will your parents thank you, but it intentionalizes the seperation of human and bed
-Now, you go to the bathroom, and splash your face with water.
- Then, you get moving.Personally, some quick yoga is a great way to get into the flow of things YogawithAdriene on youtube is a great person the practice with.
Next, get dressed. It helps you feel prepared as you go downstairs to eat your breakfast, and not slumping around in pajamas, looking for your trousers at the last minute.Trust me, we have all been there.
-Do not look at screens for your first hour of the morning.This has been shown to have damaging effects on your brain in the morning,and leaves you feeling groggy for the whole day.
-Do not eat a sugary breakfast, otherwise your energy levels will plummet later in the day.Eat carbs and protein, such as peanut butter on toast and a bananna.
-Whilst we are at it, eat breakfast. There is a reason it its the most important meal of the day.Eat it.Don't skip it.Even better, make something like overnight oats, so you are fully prepped in the morning.This will also create a meal you will look forward to, for the added effect of getting yourself out of bed.
-lastly, routine is everything. Do not expect to feel energised after one night of full sleep and waking up early- onc e you have done it for a week, you may start to see the benefits. One nights difference will literally confuse your brain.

Hope this helps guys and I will be back tomorrow with my weekly reccomendations.
(edited 3 years ago)
So, first of all, sorry for the break in my responses. Suddenly it has been feeling really hard to process whatever it is us GCSE students are going through.Still have no clue.I have also been feeling a lack of motivation, in the mornings especially, where the single thought of 'what happens if I take an exta minute revolves through my brain. School is not exciting for me personally. I cannot study things in depth, and properly savour the subject. We learn a few sentences, and just move on, not even letting a spark of passion through the gap.Grades have also been making me feel anxious lately, with the reverberating anxiety of "what happens if..." and "I will probably fail". I have high aspirations, but I constantly feel as if Im not doing enough, or not setting my standards of work high enough tho achieve them meaning an additional 'these grades will not let mi into..." is thrown into the mix as well. Lockdown also feels like stagnation, but to be honest I feel like that in school as well. No one seems to even want to find passion in the work we do.It is so repetitive that is a fight to stay awake some times, let alone actually be interested.Some teachers seem to have given up hope altogether.

Anyway, I hope you guys find this relatable.Even if it is not very cheerful or heartwarming. Today I am going to be giving tips on getting up early in the morning.I would just like to say, that some of us are night owls, some of us are morning larks.Personally, I cannot concentrate at night, and find the day quite draining, meaning I prefer to get up earlier instead, otherwise I feel unorganised and in a constant state of being late for something or other. You may see videos like 'how I get up at 5 AM every day', but this is not for everyone.Whether you are a morning or night person goes as deep as your genetic code. Anyway....

EARLY MORNINGS-HOW TO COPE
-first of all, the best way to get up in the morning is a good alarm.Make it as loud and annoying as possible- although not on your phone if you can help it.Next, but it on the other side of the room. That way you have to jump out of bed and walk to turn the goddamn thing off.
-Next, make your bed.Not only will your parents thank you, but it intentionalizes the seperation of human and bed
-Now, you go to the bathroom, and splash your face with water.
- Then, you get moving.Personally, some quick yoga is a great way to get into the flow of things YogawithAdriene on youtube is a great person the practice with.
Next, get dressed. It helps you feel prepared as you go downstairs to eat your breakfast, and not slumping around in pajamas, looking for your trousers at the last minute.Trust me, we have all been there.
-Do not look at screens for your first hour of the morning.This has been shown to have damaging effects on your brain in the morning,and leaves you feeling groggy for the whole day.
-Do not eat a sugary breakfast, otherwise your energy levels will plummet later in the day.Eat carbs and protein, such as peanut butter on toast and a bananna.
-Whilst we are at it, eat breakfast. There is a reason it its the most important meal of the day.Eat it.Don't skip it.Even better, make something like overnight oats, so you are fully prepped in the morning.This will also create a meal you will look forward to, for the added effect of getting yourself out of bed.
-lastly, routine is everything. Do not expect to feel energised after one night of full sleep and waking up early- onc e you have done it for a week, you may start to see the benefits. One nights difference will literally confuse your brain.

Hope this helps guys and I will be back tomorrow with my weekly reccomendations.

Honestly, I relate so much to that first part. I've just been feeling like I'm not doing enough and like I'm going to fail. I feel like such a disappointment when I realise that I'm still behind in so many of my subjects in terms of revision - especially my core subjects. Now we're going back in a week and I don't even feel prepared. I also agree when you said that there seems to be a lack of passion - everything just feels meaningless at this point but at the same time it's like I have to force myself to get through this year because there's no other way around it. The sense of drive that I had at the start of the year has just gone so now I feel worn out and tired. Some of my teachers still seem kind of enthusiastic but I definitely think lockdown has caused them to miss us (they're always talking about how they can't wait until we're back and can see each other again). Even though it's not possible and some may disagree, part of me wishes I could restart year 11 again and do it properly because it just feels like time has been passing by and I haven't really made progress. Still, if you ever need motivation, I'm here and although I suck at getting myself together I hope that I can be of help.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to revising in the morning... Recently I've been doing a bit more revision in the morning but I feel like on days when we have to go to school physically I never have time to sit down and revise because everyone is rushing out of the house - with lockdown of course I've been able to find this time. The thing is though that I do wake up early and I wake up around 5-6 am but something is always going on in the morning so i don't really have time to revise. Also, I'm the type of person to pull all nighters if I need to revise. Like even though I also get tired after school, I find that there seems to be more time in the evening than in the morning. That said, I will try and incorporate some revision into my morning routine when we return to school. Your tips are really useful (though I always fail the tip of not using your phone in the first hour of waking up)!
Honestly, I relate so much to that first part. I've just been feeling like I'm not doing enough and like I'm going to fail. I feel like such a disappointment when I realise that I'm still behind in so many of my subjects in terms of revision - especially my core subjects. Now we're going back in a week and I don't even feel prepared. I also agree when you said that there seems to be a lack of passion - everything just feels meaningless at this point but at the same time it's like I have to force myself to get through this year because there's no other way around it. The sense of drive that I had at the start of the year has just gone so now I feel worn out and tired. Some of my teachers still seem kind of enthusiastic but I definitely think lockdown has caused them to miss us (they're always talking about how they can't wait until we're back and can see each other again). Even though it's not possible and some may disagree, part of me wishes I could restart year 11 again and do it properly because it just feels like time has been passing by and I haven't really made progress. Still, if you ever need motivation, I'm here and although I suck at getting myself together I hope that I can be of help.

I have mixed feelings when it comes to revising in the morning... Recently I've been doing a bit more revision in the morning but I feel like on days when we have to go to school physically I never have time to sit down and revise because everyone is rushing out of the house - with lockdown of course I've been able to find this time. The thing is though that I do wake up early and I wake up around 5-6 am but something is always going on in the morning so i don't really have time to revise. Also, I'm the type of person to pull all nighters if I need to revise. Like even though I also get tired after school, I find that there seems to be more time in the evening than in the morning. That said, I will try and incorporate some revision into my morning routine when we return to school. Your tips are really useful (though I always fail the tip of not using your phone in the first hour of waking up)!

Thank you so much.Sometimes it is easy to feel as if everyone else has it better, has been revising more than you, etc,etc, even though Im certain most of us are going through similar thoughts and feelings, it honestly feels as if it was January yesterday.I am glad that you are there and I hope you find my writing helpful.Are you looking forward to school next week?
Hey guys! today I am back with my..............

WEEKLY RECCOMENDATIONS

APP OF THE WEEK: goodonyou is a free app where you can check the sustainablility and labour ratings of clothing brands before you buy, I love it as it is also a great way to find alternative sustainable brands

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT OF THE WEEK: ethicalandeasy, an influencer who literally makes ethics look easy- a good start if you are looking to dip your toe into the world of sustainablilty

BOOK OF THE WEEK: 1984 by George Orwell- this is a must-read, if you want to call yourself a bookworm, as it is practically one of the founding fathers of dystopia- although it does dampen your mood for a few days.

PODCAST OF THE WEEK: the **** show- great for keeping up with todays news and deconstructing headlines

YOUTUBE CHANNEL OF THE WEEK: skincare with hyram- this channel really helped me with my skin and with finding affordable options

PETITION OF THE WEEK: http://chng.it/WLhb4yVBbw this petition is to make black british history compulsory in all schools, because it is a disgrace that hardly any of us learn about the legacy of the slave trade here in Britain, or the names of Ignatius Sancho and Stuart Hall.
Thank you so much.Sometimes it is easy to feel as if everyone else has it better, has been revising more than you, etc,etc, even though Im certain most of us are going through similar thoughts and feelings, it honestly feels as if it was January yesterday.I am glad that you are there and I hope you find my writing helpful.Are you looking forward to school next week?

Yeah, time definitely flew by this year. I'm kinda looking forward to school because I miss seeing my friends and my teachers but at the same time I know we will be bombarded with tests and assessments with exams being cancelled and I don't think I'm mentally prepared for that. I like going to school when I don't have anything to worry about but my lessons if that makes sense.
Hey guys! today I am back with my..............

WEEKLY RECCOMENDATIONS

APP OF THE WEEK: goodonyou is a free app where you can check the sustainablility and labour ratings of clothing brands before you buy, I love it as it is also a great way to find alternative sustainable brands

INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT OF THE WEEK: ethicalandeasy, an influencer who literally makes ethics look easy- a good start if you are looking to dip your toe into the world of sustainablilty

BOOK OF THE WEEK: 1984 by George Orwell- this is a must-read, if you want to call yourself a bookworm, as it is practically one of the founding fathers of dystopia- although it does dampen your mood for a few days.

PODCAST OF THE WEEK: the **** show- great for keeping up with todays news and deconstructing headlines

YOUTUBE CHANNEL OF THE WEEK: skincare with hyram- this channel really helped me with my skin and with finding affordable options

PETITION OF THE WEEK: http://chng.it/WLhb4yVBbw this petition is to make black british history compulsory in all schools, because it is a disgrace that hardly any of us learn about the legacy of the slave trade here in Britain, or the names of Ignatius Sancho and Stuart Hall.

I probably sound stupid but how do petitions work? Is it that after it reaches its goal the government considers it? Or can they dismiss a petition if they don't think it's worth looking at? Also I know skincare with hyram :biggrin: I went through like a time when I was obsessed with skincare and wanted to improve my skin but me being the broke person I am ended up just sticking to a face wash, sunscreen and cream.
I probably sound stupid but how do petitions work? Is it that after it reaches its goal the government considers it? Or can they dismiss a petition if they don't think it's worth looking at? Also I know skincare with hyram :biggrin: I went through like a time when I was obsessed with skincare and wanted to improve my skin but me being the broke person I am ended up just sticking to a face wash, sunscreen and cream.

To be honest I have no idea, the website states it is a public message to decisionmakers, but the impact it has had has been widespread and important for many families such as the one of Cherry Groce who were finally granted legal aid for the inquest into her death.However countries like Iran have not listened to pettitions for the return of Nazanin Radcliffe, so it varies.

I keep wanting to improve my skincare routine, but it is hard when the money is limited:biggrin:
So today has been another hectic day, where I try to get through five hours of videocall lessons without getting distracted, by my cat, for instance.In other news,I have an english assessment on A christmas carol, and I can finnally return to my job this weekend, and start bringing home the bacon again :biggrin:
Anyway, my completed to-do list is as follows:

TO-DO LIST
-make mug cake (very good btw)
-print vegan recipe
-hour of yoga
-corbett maths five-a day
-update my GYG
-do some stairway learning practice
-watch Kristen Leos latest youtube video (please subscribe to her she is great)
-make some Mr Salles notes
-make some bullet journal spreads*
-Make a retrospective timetable for maths (my assessment is next week and we have been given the spec to revise I attached a photo below)

*using a bullet journal is one of the calmest things you can do in my opinion.I like to plan my week so I dont fall behind on work etc, and I do it whilst watching netflix or youtube so that I am still "productive"C4EBCF0E-81CC-4C13-901E-AEA700B71314.jpeg
(edited 3 years ago)
To be honest I have no idea, the website states it is a public message to decisionmakers, but the impact it has had has been widespread and important for many families such as the one of Cherry Groce who were finally granted legal aid for the inquest into her death.However countries like Iran have not listened to pettitions for the return of Nazanin Radcliffe, so it varies.

I keep wanting to improve my skincare routine, but it is hard when the money is limited:biggrin:

Oh it's good to hear that some petitions actually lead to changes - though I hope countries like Iran start listening to the people. Also yeah, being broke means you just have to make do with what you have :/
So today has been another hectic day, where I try to get through five hours of videocall lessons without getting distracted, by my cat, for instance.In other news,I have an english assessment on A christmas carol, and I can finnally return to my job this weekend, and start bringing home the bacon again :biggrin:
Anyway, my completed to-do list is as follows:

TO-DO LIST
-make mug cake (very good btw)
-print vegan recipe
-hour of yoga
-corbett maths five-a day
-update my GYG
-do some stairway learning practice
-watch Kristen Leos latest youtube video (please subscribe to her she is great)
-make some Mr Salles notes
-make some bullet journal spreads*
-Make a retrospective timetable for maths

*using a bullet journal is one of the calmest things you can do in my opinion.I like to plan my week so I dont fall behind on work etc, and I do it whilst watching netflix or youtube so that I am still "productive"

Ohhh you have a job! How do you manage your job and school work? Tbh you seem very organised so I can kind of imagine but is your job flexible so you can work and still revise and stuff like that?

Mug cakes are nice but mine always comes out undercooked :frown: I still eat them anyways cos why not but yeah. Do you have a favourite recipe? Also how does stairway learning work? I'm curious to learn about this method of learning. (sorry if I'm asking too many questions - I have some free time so I'm just kind of chilling rn and then I'm going to revise).

Quick Reply

Latest